ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IP65 Questions  (Read 4742 times)

Art Nadelman

IP65 Questions
« on: April 27, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »

I'm new to the world of IP65.  I just purchased my first IP65-rated Chauvet lights.  It's nice that they're IP65-rated, but they come with a power cord with an Edison plug on one end, therefore I'd have to plug it into an Edison receptacle at that end. 

So my question is, how do I make everything on stage IP-65 safe, at least outlets and connections for Edison cords?

Thanks.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
Re: IP65 Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 07:21:14 PM »

Hi Art, I'm not much more seasoned on IP65 but I've been doing a lot of research myself for my next lighting upgrade so hopefully this is helpful. 

The Neutrik PowerCon True1 connectors would be a good place to start.  It's a locking, 16A, waterproof mains connector that connects in series (like a typical extension cord, male to female) as opposed to the conventional powercon connectors that require couplers to join lengths. 

As for "waterproof edison", I believe that's an oxymoron to the best of my knowledge.  There are outlets available with spring-loaded gasketed covers to keep unused receptacles protected, but once you open that cover to plug in your NEMA5-15P, I don't know as there's a reliable way to keep moisture out of that connection (but I'm happy to be corrected on this by someone more knowledgeable on the topic). 

Removing the edison connector and replacing it with a True1 connector would get you started.  I can't speak to why they ship it with that cord.  Making "everything on stage IP65 safe" might be a big task, and may or may not be really required.  In my mind, I want my (future) downstage wash lights to be IP65 since they have to be in front of the stage to be effective, putting them out from under the protection of the stage roof.  My upstage lighting will always be behind the performers, so for the gigs I do should be safe from rain etc. 

I don't know of too many IP65 musicians, guitar amps, or pedalboards... once things get that bad, I don't know as the show would really continue, at least in my neck of the woods. YMMV.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 10:01:19 PM »

I'm new to the world of IP65.  I just purchased my first IP65-rated Chauvet lights.  It's nice that they're IP65-rated, but they come with a power cord with an Edison plug on one end, therefore I'd have to plug it into an Edison receptacle at that end. 

So my question is, how do I make everything on stage IP-65 safe, at least outlets and connections for Edison cords?

Thanks.

Why do you want everything IP-65 rated?  I think you may be looking the wrong direction if you’re trying to make things safe...  and I wonder, safe in what sort of weather?   

What are your goals?  Perhaps that will help get you more concrete advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art Nadelman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 06:27:38 AM »

What are your goals?  Perhaps that will help get you more concrete advice.

I'm really talking about outlets.  Here in Florida, a storm can pop up in the summer at anytime.  I work a lot of performances where the band is on an open stage outside.  I'm just looking to make sure that if it pours, that if there's a better way to keep the electric connections safe for when the show starts back, that I'm doing all that I can/should.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 10:29:59 AM »

The purpose of IP ratings is to determine what level of environmental water intrusion will be prevented.  It's more about the protection of the connection or device so it will live to work another day than it's about proximate personnel safety.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

I'm really talking about outlets.  Here in Florida, a storm can pop up in the summer at anytime.  I work a lot of performances where the band is on an open stage outside.  I'm just looking to make sure that if it pours, that if there's a better way to keep the electric connections safe for when the show starts back, that I'm doing all that I can/should.

Even if your gear was somehow completely waterproof, the amps and drums and backline and snake and mics aren’t...

I think the best protection is GFCI outlets on all stage power, waterproof ip65 gear is great for up in a stage roof.  On the deck, keep stageboxes and AC elevated from pooling water...  when there is a storm coming, tarp and strap, shut down power.  When the storm has passed and you have your 30 minute lightning clear, dry it off and start back up.

If you are following safe storm procedures, a storm with lightning is going to shut you down 60 minutes... 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art Nadelman

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »

On the deck, keep stageboxes and AC elevated from pooling water...  when there is a storm coming, tarp and strap, shut down power.  When the storm has passed and you have your 30 minute lightning clear, dry it off and start back up.

If you are following safe storm procedures, a storm with lightning is going to shut you down 60 minutes... 

Pretty much what I've been doing.  Just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything more I should do.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 02:27:43 AM »

Some DMX lights get installed for architectural illumination, used for weeks on end as part of popular "festival of lights" type events.

I have seen a few things used (not by me, just looking at others work) including True1, weatherproof construction connectors, and just lots of self-amalgamating tape.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 06:18:40 PM »

Consider equipping your distros with weather-resistant receptacles.

While they aren't waterproof, they can reduce the amount of incidental water intrusion.

The caveat is that "weather Resistant Receptacles offer protection from rain, snow, ice, moisture, and humidity when properly installed in an approved weather protective or while-in-use cover." So you still need to protect them from rain. The "while-in-use" covers usually must be mounted in a certain orientation.

Example: Eaton Weather Resistant Duplex Receptacles
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Daniel Levi

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 03:40:17 AM »

And there are always the European IEC60309 16/32/63A connectors wich whilst sort of bulky are waterproof, robust and designed to be outside on a permanent basis.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:43:01 AM by Daniel Levi »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 03:40:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.