ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob with some system questions.  (Read 8523 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Noob with some system questions.
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »

If all I had to spend is $700, I would buy one decent speaker and save up for another one. Mono decent sound is better than stereo shit.

I was thinking same thing.

There's some used options for DBR in his price range. https://reverb.com/item/11626722-yamaha-dbr15

DXR is gonna be better and not much more. https://reverb.com/item/11026619-yamaha-dxr15-15-powered-speaker
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 12:29:46 PM »

...like I said before this is for personal use only. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

To summarize all the advice (plus my 2 cents).

1.  Buy 1 DXR10 (Yamaha has a $100 rebate right now).

2.  Save up for a  powered sub
     - there are lots to choose from; borrow/rent one and experiment.

3.  Buy 2nd DXR10

4.  Live happily and party hearty!

-Dennis

<edit> 

What device(s) are you playing the music on? CD player, laptop, or just a  phone?

At some point you will need a mixer.  Example: a MACKIE ProFX4v2.

What is your real goal, here? Do you intend to grow this into a business?

-D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 07:32:02 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 12:41:07 PM »

The Peavy/Samson they are asking $550 and the JBL set up she wants $500 I would like to keep the cost in the $700- $500 range.
I'll be the only one on this board to say go with the soundfactor+gig-rack setup for $500.
You're not going to be able to find 2 equally "usable" speakers and an amp for that much brand new (and you would still need stands, cables and some kind of mixer.)  The Gigrack gives you mixer with multiple input microphone handling with reverb and monitors capability so you can actually use it for other Non-DJ types of events.
You may even be able to haggle them down. :)

I have a friend that DJ's and KJ's with exactly that rig and her mix always sounds good, fills the room fine and hasn't given her any problems. (she is careful and treats all her gear well)
She does nights at local bars and "day-job" is wedding/party DJ and her mix always fills the floor.  (She hires for larger and outdoor events and I bring out even "older" gear than hers!) ;)

You can dive right in now with that gear and as you grow can add/swap/upgade as you see fit.
Right now you just need clean basic amplification and I recommend your primary expenditures to be on your performance playback equipment and media -as well as learning to produce a clean high-quality output (that will translate to any amplification system or recorder)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »

Most wedding dj's are running with 12" systems these days it seems. Some use subs, some don't.

As an owner at one point of the SF25 / JRX25 JBL speaker, I can say that they are ok for the money, but another new $350 self powered speaker is going to sound better. The new JBL EON 600 series is no joke. It gets plenty loud, sounds relatively good and has nice features. You can buy them new for $400 each! If I am not mistaken they even utilize the same HF driver that was used in the MRX / PRX series. Spec wise they are pretty good and I have used one once and was quite impressed by it. For a $400 speaker it really does kick ass. The JRX 200 also uses the same HF driver, but you are talking about an SF series unit that has long since been discontinued.

I say buy new, modern units that are self powered. It will reduce so much headache and they just sound much better in the long run.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »

Nothing in the JRX line is worth the money if you plan to use them more than a couple of times.  Not that they'll fail, no that would be merciful.

JRX sounds like shit, a small squishy step above the turds that are Mackie Thump and almost everything else in its price range.

This from a guy who manages a 6-figure JBL inventory....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2021, 11:32:37 AM »

I'll be the only one on this board to say go with the soundfactor+gig-rack setup for $500.
You're not going to be able to find 2 equally "usable" speakers and an amp for that much brand new (and you would still need stands, cables and some kind of mixer.)  The Gigrack gives you mixer with multiple input microphone handling with reverb and monitors capability so you can actually use it for other Non-DJ types of events.
You may even be able to haggle them down. :)

I have a friend that DJ's and KJ's with exactly that rig and her mix always sounds good, fills the room fine and hasn't given her any problems. (she is careful and treats all her gear well)
She does nights at local bars and "day-job" is wedding/party DJ and her mix always fills the floor.  (She hires for larger and outdoor events and I bring out even "older" gear than hers!) ;)

You can dive right in now with that gear and as you grow can add/swap/upgade as you see fit.
Right now you just need clean basic amplification and I recommend your primary expenditures to be on your performance playback equipment and media -as well as learning to produce a clean high-quality output (that will translate to any amplification system or recorder)
I agree that the Gig Rack/ SF system will get you up and running and be a good start for you but I guarantee you will be upgrading earlier than anticipated and when you do you will notice quite an improvement in sound quality.
The entry level powered speakers of today (some of the best mentioned here) are so superior to the older passive options and in relative terms are really no more expensive - in fact cheaper when you factor in not having to purchase an amp or have the restrictions of a powered mixer.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Matthias McCready

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »

I agree that the Gig Rack/ SF system will get you up and running and be a good start for you but I guarantee you will be upgrading earlier than anticipated and when you do you will notice quite an improvement in sound quality.
The entry level powered speakers of today (some of the best mentioned here) are so superior to the older passive options and in relative terms are really no more expensive - in fact cheaper when you factor in not having to purchase an amp or have the restrictions of a powered mixer.

Old Thread Alert  :)
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »

Old Thread Alert  :)

Hah... thanks Matthias - I saw today's post and didn't check the OP date. I think he's probably made that decision by now  ;)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2021, 03:34:07 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 25 queries.