ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.1 System for Performing Arts Theatre  (Read 1733 times)

jpgarrett1201

5.1 System for Performing Arts Theatre
« on: April 25, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »

I am working in a performance venue and I would like to figure out how to setup a system so that I can send sound effects, etc to different speakers. My question is how to best setup a 5.1 surround system. I see that Yamaha consoles have a feature that lets you set this up on Mix Busses. However, if I want to setup a group for all of my mics so I can use bus compression or a GEQ for feedback, I wouldn't be able to send the group to the speakers because you can't send mixes to mixes. If I put the speakers on matrices, I then can't send individual channels to the matrices. The end goal is to have a system where I can send certain sound effects and different things anything the room I want. I have also just thought about leaving the system set up as a stereo system and adding the surround speakers on mixes. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Joe Pieternella

Re: 5.1 System for Performing Arts Theatre
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:21 PM »

If you could do something similar to line by line mixing you could keep LR on the master bus, (maybe even LCR if your mixer supports this) and have your surround/LFE channels on mix busses. This adds flexibility in case someone else needs to mix and only wants to use the classic LR system with the option to use aux fed subs.
Having scenes/snippets/whatever for both scenarios will save some time.

You could use your matrix as a group and route those to the busses.

Remember that if you are doing "bass management" in the way home audio receivers do you'll only be able to get a good time alignment at one location.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:36:25 PM by Joe Pieternella »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber