ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: MORE POWER?! :-O (Electrical, that is)  (Read 3278 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: MORE POWER?! :-O (Electrical, that is)
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 02:26:27 am »

I noticed it after I installed it the other day, then thought "ehhh, I'll rewire some other time"... lol

Haha.. well, the way I look at it, it's a learning process and getting different ideas and more importantly KNOWLEDGE from seasoned veterans as well as the guys/gals who do this on a daily bases is fantastic and priceless.

I have a career job already, this is my passion and hobby and making some solid cash on the side and having fun doing it, that's the bonus. :)

Love all the feedback. You guys are the best.

BTW 87% of techs fuck things up 100% of the time.  The rest hang out here and try to "sharpen the saw". 

Aren't you in NoCal?  I am coming to SFO and Carmel/Monterey for my B'Day from 8/29 until 9/2.  Love to hook up with any labsters.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »

BTW 87% of techs fuck things up 100% of the time.  The rest hang out here and try to "sharpen the saw". 

Aren't you in NoCal?  I am coming to SFO and Carmel/Monterey for my B'Day from 8/29 until 9/2.  Love to hook up with any labsters.

Haha.. I've had my share of fuck ups. I own them. :)

Oh excellent man! Yeah, I'm located 40 mins south of SFO and and about an hour north of Monterey/Carmel. Feel free to call or text me anytime bud, that would be great to meet up! I'm actually open that weekend and have no events so maybe we can all go out and grab dinner and drink. Great restaurants in the area.

408-849-6420
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2018, 06:40:05 am »

Not the most dangerous mains cable I've come across, but not far off.

Story time - the most dangerous mains cable.
A venue I did quite a lot of work at had a 125A 240v 3-phase cable and distro for the big gigs. The distro had 9x 32A 240v outlets. You get the idea - this is pretty big stuff.
Now, the tech that assembled the cables reputedly didn't believe in strain reliefs, claiming that the screws going into the copper should be more than enough to hold everything together.

I was there when this happened - one of the techs grabbed the 125-3 connector to plug it into the distro, and the cable dropped out.
The cable wasn't live, but there was a lot of swearing. You can probably imagine.

Fortunately there was a couple of 32A outlets on the wall that we ran everything off.

If I found any mains cables like the ones posted a couple of pages back in a venue I was working at, I'd take wire cutters to them immediately. What you've made is an accidental taser. If you're lucky, it'll electrocute you and nobody else. At 110v, you'd probably survive. If you're unlucky, some poor bastard will get it, and you'll literally be sued to smithereens.

Chris

PS - the tech mentioned above was also the one that had a pair of 32A supplies to use for a few stacks of Nexo Alpha (with Camco Vortex amps) a side. It was installed as follows
- 32A #1 - 2x Vortex 4, running HF
- 32A #2 - 8x Vortex 6, running mids, kicks and subs.

He wasn't around for long after that.
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 06:28:30 pm »

Not the most dangerous mains cable I've come across, but not far off.

Story time - the most dangerous mains cable.
A venue I did quite a lot of work at had a 125A 240v 3-phase cable and distro for the big gigs. The distro had 9x 32A 240v outlets. You get the idea - this is pretty big stuff.
Now, the tech that assembled the cables reputedly didn't believe in strain reliefs, claiming that the screws going into the copper should be more than enough to hold everything together.

I was there when this happened - one of the techs grabbed the 125-3 connector to plug it into the distro, and the cable dropped out.
The cable wasn't live, but there was a lot of swearing. You can probably imagine.

Fortunately there was a couple of 32A outlets on the wall that we ran everything off.

If I found any mains cables like the ones posted a couple of pages back in a venue I was working at, I'd take wire cutters to them immediately. What you've made is an accidental taser. If you're lucky, it'll electrocute you and nobody else. At 110v, you'd probably survive. If you're unlucky, some poor bastard will get it, and you'll literally be sued to smithereens.

Chris

PS - the tech mentioned above was also the one that had a pair of 32A supplies to use for a few stacks of Nexo Alpha (with Camco Vortex amps) a side. It was installed as follows
- 32A #1 - 2x Vortex 4, running HF
- 32A #2 - 8x Vortex 6, running mids, kicks and subs.

He wasn't around for long after that.

Interestingly enough, I had another Portuguese hall contact me this morning in regards to power for future events as they had remembered seeing me tie-in to their panel years ago... They are now going install 1 50amp distro box on stage with 6x20amp breakers for entertainment use only.  :)

This makes me happy. It's a good Monday!
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2018, 06:28:30 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.