ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MORE POWER?! :-O (Electrical, that is)  (Read 8097 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: MORE POWER?! :-O (Electrical, that is)
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2018, 05:02:17 PM »

It also looks like the power connectors are mounted to a rack plate - I believe the connections need to be enclosed so that the bare  conductors are protected.

Don’t wanna go rootin’ through troubleshooting and drop your multitool between the hots...

**UPDATE**

I was finally able to get everything wired up correctly, ended up re-doing my rear panel on the amp rack and purchased new 10/3 wire (all cables are 50'ft in length)

Although I wasn't running a full band on the PA, I was pushing the system pretty dam hard for about 20mins and the highest reading I recorded on individual amps was the following:

4 EAW KF650's
4 TRX218n Subs
Floor stacked.

QSC 3402 (highs) pulling 6.2 amps (avg)
QSC 4.0 (Mids) pulling 7.9 (avg)
QSC 4.0 (lows) pulling 10.6 (avg)
QSC 6.9 (subs) pulling 13.6 (avg)

Amps were not clipping and running comfortable, and I still had a bit more room to push if needed. I measured SPL at 80'ft away (end of my driveway) at was reading 121db. Neighbors didn't seem to mind, they're use to it ;-)

Interestingly enough, I was pushing this system all off of 2 15amp breakers. I ran the highs plugged into the same circuit as the subs, and ran the mids and lows on another circuit....

Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

Thank you for the heads up fellas... I truly appreciate it. I'll get some ordered and wire it correctly. :)

You can probably find 20 or 30amp male and female twist locks for the chassis end. I would use those. Male on the rack, female on the cable.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2018, 06:49:09 PM »

I've seen NEMA L5-20 inlets at Home Depot.  Personally I have PowerCons for the size reduction but I'm sure you can't put 10AWG into them.  You can barely put 12AWG SOW into them.

Maybe this should go in the power forum but, question for the electricians here.  If I have a 25' PowerCon to Edison plugged into my amp rack and plug the Edison end into a typical extension cord (there's a place where I have to use a 50' 10AWG to reach another circuit) does the first cable count as a mains lead or does this constitute daisy chaining extension cords (which I understand as not being to code)?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2018, 07:09:57 PM »

It also looks like the power connectors are mounted to a rack plate - I believe the connections need to be enclosed so that the bare  conductors are protected.

Don’t wanna go rootin’ through troubleshooting and drop your multitool between the hots...

When I had this issue some time ago I bought a metal project box, put aside the cover and screwed it to the panel covering up the back of the connectors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2018, 07:15:21 PM »

I've seen NEMA L5-20 inlets at Home Depot.  Personally I have PowerCons for the size reduction but I'm sure you can't put 10AWG into them.  You can barely put 12AWG SOW into them.

Maybe this should go in the power forum but, question for the electricians here.  If I have a 25' PowerCon to Edison plugged into my amp rack and plug the Edison end into a typical extension cord (there's a place where I have to use a 50' 10AWG to reach another circuit) does the first cable count as a mains lead or does this constitute daisy chaining extension cords (which I understand as not being to code)?

Note, I am not an electrician so my advice has no legal standing...

That said, the code doesn’t talk about daisy chaining extension cords. It simply says that there can only be one cord to cord connection in a power cable run (note, I did not call it a feeder).

So, I would say it is good.

But, with 50’ extension cords running around, this doesn’t seem like a venue that gets a lot of inspections .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »

I didn't notice before but the output of CH1 on lower amp is banjo tight.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Joe Jordan

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 10:41:58 PM »

Thanks for info. However, the only time I use this method and running my own distro and camlok connectors are for the larger venues and events when I need to use my A rig. .
For smaller shows/venue such as lounge bars, clubs I typically use my C rig or maybe my B rig if it’s a slightly larger venue.

A Rig: 4 Dual 18” sub cabs, 4 KF650 top mains, 4-6 active stage wedges (4-way FOH)
B rig: 2 SB600 subs, 2 KF300 mains on sub poles, 2-4 active stage wedges (3-way FOH)
C rig: 2 JBL EON 518s active subs, 2 active mains on sub poles, 2-3 active stage wedges.

I suggest you do a google search on "Arc Flash" I think it will change you mind about your method of connecting to the venue's panel board.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2018, 12:50:33 AM »

I didn't notice before but the output of CH1 on lower amp is banjo tight.

Scott, there's actually about an inch of play on those, just the way I routed it makes it appear that way. But now I'm thinking about re-wiring all of those too with new cabling and stringing it along the inside with wire loom for a cleaner look when I re-do the power connections.

Just placed the order for the 4 male inlet 20amp connectors and matching male connectors for the power.
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2018, 01:08:52 AM »

Scott, there's actually about an inch of play on those, just the way I routed it makes it appear that way. But now I'm thinking about re-wiring all of those too with new cabling and stringing it along the inside with wire loom for a cleaner look when I re-do the power connections.

Just placed the order for the 4 male inlet 20amp connectors and matching male connectors for the power.

Ok but wiring should never shoot off on a 45 like that.

One side of the rack should be mains and the other signal.  You use horizontal and vertical wire management or looming to make it all look pretty.

Don't you love when coming to a forum makes more work?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 01:37:58 AM »

Ok but wiring should never shoot off on a 45 like that.

One side of the rack should be mains and the other signal.  You use horizontal and vertical wire management or looming to make it all look pretty.

Don't you love when coming to a forum makes more work?

I noticed it after I installed it the other day, then thought "ehhh, I'll rewire some other time"... lol

Haha.. well, the way I look at it, it's a learning process and getting different ideas and more importantly KNOWLEDGE from seasoned veterans as well as the guys/gals who do this on a daily bases is fantastic and priceless.

I have a career job already, this is my passion and hobby and making some solid cash on the side and having fun doing it, that's the bonus. :)

Love all the feedback. You guys are the best.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:41:20 AM by Sam Costa »
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 01:37:58 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.