ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multipin Solution for stage snakes, Whirlwind W1 or ?  (Read 7634 times)

John Penkala

Multipin Solution for stage snakes, Whirlwind W1 or ?
« on: April 24, 2018, 04:59:03 PM »

I am planning to upgrade my stage subsnakes (12ch) to a multipin system such as the Whirlwind Patchmaster 60. What I like about it is that it takes up only 1RU. However, my concern is the W1's. From what I've read, they are solder only contacts that are a PIA to work on. I currently use and am tooled up to build Elco's. We treat these with care and have had very few issues. I don't want to test our good fortune for much longer! Are there any products similar to the Patchmaster 60 on the market that might use different multipin connectors?

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/patch-master/patchmaster

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
Re: Multipin Solution for stage snakes, Whirlwind W1 or ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:55:13 PM »

I am planning to upgrade my stage subsnakes (12ch) to a multipin system such as the Whirlwind Patchmaster 60. What I like about it is that it takes up only 1RU. However, my concern is the W1's. From what I've read, they are solder only contacts that are a PIA to work on. I currently use and am tooled up to build Elco's. We treat these with care and have had very few issues. I don't want to test our good fortune for much longer! Are there any products similar to the Patchmaster 60 on the market that might use different multipin connectors?

http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/snakes-splitters-and-multiwiring-systems/patch-master/patchmaster
That patchmaster is pretty nice looking. Have you looked into Ramtech and 12 ch CPC? Entertainment Metals can build that stuff...

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »

You could check out Ramtech for their multipin options.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 12:15:41 AM »

You could check out Ramtech for their multipin options.

I'm pretty sure that Ramtech offers a similar panel using the friendlier (to me) CPC connectors.

Cue the Ramlatch vs Mass debate.... ;D

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 12:23:48 AM »

I will never rent a system that uses RamLatch (or CPC - are you kidding???). If you don't know yet why RamLatch is terrible, then you clearly have not used them long enough.
Whirlwind stuff is ok, and used everywhere, but my preference is LK.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 12:57:09 AM »

That patchmaster is pretty nice looking. Have you looked into Ramtech and 12 ch CPC? Entertainment Metals can build that stuff...
I'll vote against the black plastic AMP CPC series connectors in either of their two contact diameters.  I was using them in the mid 1990's for a variety of touring automation applications and I learned two points:  1; They offer a great many very affordable non-intermateable configurations which was a plus.  2; They weren't even remotely durable / robust enough to stand up to the day in - day out applications you'd want for your road worthy / tour worthy mic or line level applications. 
AMP black plastic CPC series:  No!  Boo!!  Hiss!!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 02:25:14 AM »

Of the stuff that you commonly see being used for audio I would rate them as follows:

Mil-C-22992/QWLD (probably the best ever, but very expensive and rarely seen)
DT12 (seen on broadcast trucks everywhere and very tough)
Mil-C-5015 compatible (made by LK, Syntax and many others.  some are nicer than others, but all are pretty good)
W1 (harder to work on, easy to bend pins, I got rid of mine after a few years)
CPC metal (I don't see them as much as the plastic ones for some reason)
CPC plastic (plan on fixing them all the time)

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 02:00:57 PM »

We've got a bunch of W1 and I've had very little problems with it.  Much more durable than the bigger W4 connectors.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »

I've found that the true Whirlwind W1's are more durable than the Amphenol 37pin equivalent.  However, that could just because I have more Amp ones in service and for longer, so more opportunity to fail.  The pin systems definitely hold up better than the larger W4.  I've found that the weak link is that the metal on the quarter turn locking ring wears out and mating becomes intermittent.  Unfortunately the solution for that is to replace the male connector completely. 

The LK/Veam stuff is much more durable but also much more expensive.  Radial also uses something similar that is very nice.  I'm not sure if it is directly compatible or not. 

Also, don't forget about the ridiculously big but also very durable and easy to service DT12 connector that the boardcast guys use. 

thomas d.

Kyle Gerhart

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »

I've had great success with lk37 connector's. I had 4star wire build me a custom version of a patchmaster, but for 48ch. So it has 4 inputs of LK and 48ch fanouts.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 04:39:05 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 22 queries.