ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for crisp vocal mic (DJ use)?  (Read 2504 times)

Bill Hornibrook

Suggestions for crisp vocal mic (DJ use)?
« on: April 23, 2018, 04:59:01 PM »

For years when I'm a club DJ I've used the same Beta 58 vocal mic that I use as a keyboard player in conjunction with a mixer. It's worked out fine, but recently I picked up an NI Traktor S5 controller with a mic input - which among other things will allow me to ditch the mixer.

It's got some kind of non-defeatable compression going on that's raising the feedback level as well as dulling the sound of the mic. I'd really like for this to work, as it keeps things simpler if I don't have to pack a mixer around.

So I'm looking for a vocal mic with unreal presence as well as excellent gain before feedback, and you guys know it all so I thought I'd ask here first. Wired and under $200 - $150 even better. Thanks  :)

Edit: I am not a DJ who cups his mic! My hands are too busy mixing for that kind of behavior ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:22:18 PM by Bill Hornibrook »

Steve Crump

Re: Suggestions for crisp vocal mic (DJ use)?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »

For years when I'm a club DJ I've used the same Beta 58 vocal mic that I use as a keyboard player in conjunction with a mixer. It's worked out fine, but recently I picked up an NI Traktor S5 controller with a mic input - which among other things will allow me to ditch the mixer.

It's got some kind of non-defeatable compression going on that's raising the feedback level as well as dulling the sound of the mic. I'd really like for this to work, as it keeps things simpler if I don't have to pack a mixer around.

So I'm looking for a vocal mic with unreal presence as well as excellent gain before feedback, and you guys know it all so I thought I'd ask here first. Wired and under $200 - $150 even better. Thanks  :)

Edit: I am not a DJ who cups his mic! My hands are too busy mixing for that kind of behavior ;)

The Blue Encore 200 might fit. We have a few, use them mostly for harmonies and back up vocals when needed. I have never checked out the specs for response, but they do seem a little hyped.

https://www.mixonline.com/technology/blue-microphones-encore-100-encore-200-microphones-review-369574

John P. Farrell

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »

A Beta 58 is already fairly hyped.  You identified the problem and know the answer....undefeatable compression unfortunately.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Robert Patch

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 09:00:26 PM »

It would be best if you knew someone with a few different mikes that you could try.  My inclination would be to go with an Audix OM-6/7, depending on how tight a polar pattern suits you.  Not as much mid-range boost as a Beta 58, but you need to be tight on the mic.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 09:34:24 PM »

I picked up an NI Traktor S5 controller with a mic input - which among other things will allow me to ditch the mixer.

I bet the controller is the problem. You would think they would manage to include a 1/2 decent mic preamp in a $1000 piece of equipment but I know from first hand experience the mic preamp in the Pioneer DDJ series consoles are total crap.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:20:13 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 11:10:41 PM »

Maybe not as convenient but if there's a line in you could use a small recording pre.  Even something like a GAP 73 where you can overdrive it and get that nasty shouting sound that cuts right through.  ;)

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 02:07:44 PM »

I bet the controller is the problem. You would think they would manage to include a 1/2 decent mic preamp in a $1000 piece of equipment but I know from first hand experience the mic preamp in the Pioneer DDJ series consoles are total crap.

It is totally the DJ equipment.  Not only do they clip out too easily, the overall tone seems to be designed for that deep "FM announcer" type of sound.

Another aspect is that music channels are run so hot that even at full mic gain it can barely be heard over the highly compressed music.  The whole process is made even worse when the DJ is driving hard into the house limiter. 
So even when a quality mic pre and drive is used it sometimes still doesn't stand a chance!

I think the separate upstream mixer with real mic pre's is the best way to handle DJ announce and call-out mics -especially if you can get it configured into a ducker type situation for a very subtle dip in the music level at the instance of mic use. 
(Bonus points for dynamic EQ that only ducks-out the higher midrange on the music when you are speaking)

Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »

The crappy DJ gear aside, you might consider an omni mic.
You are right on it, so feedback probably won't be an issue AND the proximity effect is minimal so no added low end to muddy things up and drive the compressor.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 04:29:32 PM »

Mackie Mix5 plugged into a line input on your DJ mixer.

Keep the Beta 58

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »

It is totally the DJ equipment.  Not only do they clip out too easily, the overall tone seems to be designed for that deep "FM announcer" type of sound.

Another aspect is that music channels are run so hot that even at full mic gain it can barely be heard over the highly compressed music.  The whole process is made even worse when the DJ is driving hard into the house limiter. 
So even when a quality mic pre and drive is used it sometimes still doesn't stand a chance!

I think the separate upstream mixer with real mic pre's is the best way to handle DJ announce and call-out mics -especially if you can get it configured into a ducker type situation for a very subtle dip in the music level at the instance of mic use. 
(Bonus points for dynamic EQ that only ducks-out the higher midrange on the music when you are speaking)

We always set out a switched SM58 DJ mic separate from the DJ mixer. 99% of the time the DJ will patch it into the DJ mixer anyway.  I stopped worrying about it and consider it their "artistic choice" in the matter.

DJ gigs - the kind of show where nobody is happy until it sounds like shit.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.