ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for new Mains to replace my SRX47xx's  (Read 1615 times)

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
Re: Looking for new Mains to replace my SRX47xx's
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 05:38:28 pm »

You are probably aware the JBL PRX 425 is a dual 15" box with a small format HF driver on a (very) small horn (by pro standards).  At high levels this really works against this system.  To protect the HF driver the crossover is really high compared to the effective range of the 15" low/mid driver.  The much beloved SRX725 has a large format horn and large format driver, a different 15"speaker(s), and a lower crossover frequency.  It's a whole different animal!

Though I much prefer the sound of a 12" speaker for most 2-way boxes, I've heard well tuned SRX725s sound impressive.  The SRX835 is a true 3-way box with a 15 for lows, a horn loaded 8" mid and a large format HF driver on a reasonable size horn.  That makes the cabinet physically large just to hold everything, but with modern DSP, it's a very impressive system and most people agree.  If size is an issue, I'm with those suggesting the SRX812 with either two 818's or a 828 if you want to stick with JBL.  RCF makes some pretty impressive gear - not just the ART series.  Just my 2 cents worth.

George Herbert

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 06:47:32 pm »

I've been looking around and have become intrigued by the RCF ART series. I haven't read anything bad about them except maybe the looks of the box.
 Since this is for my bar band only, I'm interested in the ART 745A because if things I've read are correct, they may be able to serve without subs for some of the smaller gigs we do.
Anybody have any real world experience doing live bands with these? I'd like to hear your comments.

I just got a pair of RCF HD 32-A mk4. I've only been able to test drive them at home (first gig this weekend), but I am very impressed so far. They seem clear, nice depth and detail, natural sounding. I'm tempted to call them "warm," but it's probably just the absence of the processed sounding crispness that I hear in some cabinets. No comment about usable SPL because I just can't tell from running them at home. The HDs are a little less expensive than the 745s and the components and specs are a little different, so this is just FWIW.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 06:47:32 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.