ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub amp recomendations  (Read 8709 times)

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
Re: Sub amp recomendations
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 09:32:05 PM »

I put a NU-6000DSP in my friend's club a few years back when the second-hand Peavey PV2600 decided to immolate itself.  The amp survived no less than two punk-rock festivals on sub duty plus 2-4 shows per week for two years.  The punk rock festival was four days of 12-16 hours of pounding out bass without a hiccup.  The amp is still running in my friend's new club and working fine.
That answers the time question. Are they wearing winter clothes in hell? B. is getting some love.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 09:40:31 PM »

5 hours in they are as cool as they were to start- depending on the angle of the sun, of course. Far cooler than the Crest and QSC amps they replaced would have been, and using a hell of a lot less power.
Thanks again Art. The power is good for me and 3db won't be an issue. My old amps do get hot. I had one at a show just sitting out of a rack run at two ohms by accident and it went thermal, put a fan on it and finished the day. Are they 100 to 240 power as some newer gear? I do not recall anything in the description, so i think no.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 10:18:11 PM »

I bought 3 NU4-600's a year ago for monitor duty. Needed 2 but had more than enough left in my budget for a spare. 1 died and has been repaired.

I know Behringer doesn't get much love but honestly, had they been around when I was young I would have probably had a nicer system and more money in my pocket .
We played a festival last weekend and the pa the festival was using was B. and it sounded like S. I know he was driving it to beyond death, it was bad. Worst part is this is the third year he was there and his stuff still works. I was hoping it would die and he could use ours. It was abuse but i don't know if i would have a better system, maybe better than our diy. As i am responding i think you could be right, over look me! (those altec and cv amps did kick some ass).

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 10:49:49 PM »

We played a festival last weekend and the pa the festival was using was B. and it sounded like S. I know he was driving it to beyond death, it was bad. Worst part is this is the third year he was there and his stuff still works. I was hoping it would die and he could use ours. It was abuse but i don't know if i would have a better system, maybe better than our diy. As i am responding i think you could be right, over look me! (those altec and cv amps did kick some ass).

Was he using Behringer speakers?    They don't have any high quality speakers (at least not Behringer branded)  but as this thread points out you can certainly do some good work with the iNukes and an x32.   
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 08:14:57 AM »

Another +1 on the iNukes. I use a variety of them - NU4-6000 with monitors on two channels and FOH HF on the other, a few NU6000s doing mids and subs, and a couple of NU3000DSPs in a rack that gets used as a throw-around do-whatever rack (monitors, fills etc). The DSP is decent, they put out a good amount of power, and they're cheap enough to keep spares.

Haven't tested the NU12000. I've heard it's a beefed up 6000 that can drive 2ohm loads, but I try to avoid 2ohm loads anyway.

They're not perfect, though:
- The HF frequency response is load-dependent as the amplifier takes its feedback from before the LC lowpass filter.
- They're not the cleanest amps in the world
- No PFC
- They don't look great

FWIW, specs on the 3000s/6000s:

NU3000: 300/600/1000w/ch into 8/4/2ohm.
NU6000: 1200/2000w/ch into 8/4ohm. 2ohm use not recommended as the NU6000 is a pair of NU3000s bridged in one box. The NU4-6000 is four channels of the NU3000, and can be bridged to give the outputs of a standard NU6000. IMO, that flexibility makes it the best of the bunch. Shame the 4-channel one doesn't have DSP available, or I'd sell my lot and just buy those.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 10:44:25 AM »

I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »

Thanks again Art. The power is good for me and 3db won't be an issue. My old amps do get hot. I had one at a show just sitting out of a rack run at two ohms by accident and it went thermal, put a fan on it and finished the day. Are they 100 to 240 power as some newer gear? I do not recall anything in the description, so i think no.
The one NU4-6000 I have handy is labeled "120V" below the outlet.
The brochure does not mention a "universal power supply".
The specifications page says Voltage (Breaker):
USA/Canada/Japan, 100-120V 50/60 Hz  (25A 250AC)
UK/Australia/Europe/Korea/China, 220-240V 50/60 Hz (12A 250AC)

That said, I don't know if current models might be universal.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 03:30:31 PM »

Shame the 4-channel one doesn't have DSP available, or I'd sell my lot and just buy those.

Chris

I totally agree. I had 2 NU4s racked with a DCX2496 for quite a while. What a versatile setup for the money. If they release a DSP version of the NU4, I'll sell all my others and go to the DSP version.

John L Nobile

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »

Are you blaming the B's for the S sound? Could be so many other things. Amps probably account for the last thing.

I just use mine on monitors and they sound just fine. I'm using LG amps on my mains.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »

Are you blaming the B's for the S sound? Could be so many other things. Amps probably account for the last thing.

I just use mine on monitors and they sound just fine. I'm using LG amps on my mains.
Not blaming them, it was all the user. A little B mixer running two powered B 12/horn. I did not look but am sure the overload light was on all day. May have been clipping the channels also. He had "we will rock you" blasting, horrible break up. Then he tried to talk over it, could not hear a word. And yes my thumps make good monitors but not live rock mains.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.