ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tempest intercom  (Read 5819 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Tempest intercom
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »

I noticed an antenna on the base unit as well as the PoE transceiver in use.  Is there a possible distance issue between them? 

The antennas on the base are turned off when you plug in the transceiver.  The corner reflector antennas are for the base not the transceiver.  If your transceiver had 1 antenna it is 900 meg and 2 if it is 2.4.

The system can easily cover a ballroom and closeness of the antennas in that size space is not necessary.  if you are having range issues the cause is other rf on the same channel.  a little wifi wont affect it and your frequency in the wifi and the Tempest can be adjusted to be in different parts of the band.  Tempest destroys the wifi signal tho.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 02:32:14 PM »

All I can say is that we were not happy with the audio quality of the Tempest system when we demoed it along with Cellcom and Riedel's Acrobat system 6 or 7 years ago.

The Tempest sounded the worst of all of them. Cellcom and Acrobat were huge improvements in audio quality.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »

All I can say is that we were not happy with the audio quality of the Tempest system when we demoed it along with Cellcom and Riedel's Acrobat system 6 or 7 years ago.

The Tempest sounded the worst of all of them. Cellcom and Acrobat were huge improvements in audio quality.

I agree --- I have had stage managers tell me that they will never use it.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 06:41:59 PM »

We did a show with Tempest, BTR800 and BTR80 in the com rack and by far, the Tempest was the worst sounding.
I had a chance to chat with their Canadian rep and he, basically, agreed siting the compromise of range to audio quality.
Seems to me, as a COMMUNICATION device, audio quality should not take a back seat!
Can't tell if it's a "go" or "no" when it sounds like Charly Browns teacher  :o
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:28 PM »

Short range and dropouts were indeed a problem.  The AV guys were nice but they were as clueless as I was about the Tempest.  They called the home office and the tech suggested moving the transceiver closer to the stage (which we did, up to the limit of the CAT cable in the package).  There were some corner reflector antennas and what looked like LMR400 but the corner reflectors had Type N connectors and the LMR didn't.  No instructions or manual packed with the gear and I was up against a rehearsal deadline to coordinate the client's SLX H5 system.  I never heard those until the client was on stage with them... so no chance to download and consult a Tempest manual.

It was a long & difficult 2 days and all of the various RF issues got fixed except for the Tempest.

Thanks for your help, Dan & Pete.  Your assistance is appreciated.

One more item to keep in mind to help the Tempest system suck less, is to null it on all directly connected 2-wire PL circuits. This will mitigate the doubling/echoing sound on the Tempest packs.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 03:02:06 PM »

Much has already been covered in this thread, but since i've had the [dis]pleasure of using the Tempest system quite a bit, i thought i'd share a few things.

First, it is my understanding that the Tempest was originally designed for Athletic Sideline use by a company called "CoachComm".  [I may be wrong about the details, but i do know that when our system needed service recently, we were referred to the OEM [CoachComm] by Clearcom as they were no longer providing support for it.]  As such, the primary criteria were range [football fields are big] and ruggedness [football coaches are not super kind to gear].  Audio quality probably didn't even make the top ten.  It was also designed when every fan didn't necessarily bring a 2.4gHz radio with them in their pocket.

I guess this doesn't really matter, but it does help explain the big rubbery packs and the odd placement of channels [you can talk to A OR B, but certainly not both at once!].  It also explains why the beltpacks are the only device in my life that required me to read the manual to figure out how to turn them OFF.

At any rate, when they are deployed correctly, they do work reasonably well and can cover a fairly good range.  So if that was not your experience, that was probably more of a deployment issue than anything else.  You do have to pay close attention to nulling as well as the echo cancellation settings to get the best results.  And admittedly, even then they don't sound great.  But they do work.

One of the interesting little gotchas is that if you plug the little extender antenna box in, you MUST power cycle the base station AFTERWARDS for it to work.  It will light up as if it were working, but the base station will not see it.  I do wonder if that is not what happened in your case, and the whole time it was still trying to use the [lack of] antennas on the base station to function.

Last silly Tempest thing i know about.  It can be really difficult to get the rechargeable L-Ion packs out of the beltpacks and i was resorting to slamming the beltpack against my hand to get the infernal things out.  I was like "certainly there is a better method" so i consulted the manual.  This is what the manual says...

"To remove batteries from the battery compartment, turn the BeltStation battery side down and tap the bottom of the BeltStation on the palm of your other hand."

"tap"....  Whatever.  More like smack until you have a bruise.  But it still cracks me up that that is the actual approved "method" of battery removal...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Elliot Carroll

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 03:23:19 PM »

One more item to keep in mind to help the Tempest system suck less, is to null it on all directly connected 2-wire PL circuits. This will mitigate the doubling/echoing sound on the Tempest packs.

Definitely that.

And, while it doesn't sound amazing.  It sounds like there was definitely a deployment issue on this setup.  I had a client who owned a 900mhz Tempest and we would tie 3 base stations together, use a remote transceiver up in a trussing somewhere in the middle of the room, and have no issues doing a large ballroom. Range and dropouts were never an issue...
Elliot Carroll
ESC Audio Services
Bend, Oregon

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2018, 06:28:06 PM »

Much has already been covered in this thread, but since i've had the [dis]pleasure of using the Tempest system quite a bit, i thought i'd share a few things.

First, it is my understanding that the Tempest was originally designed for Athletic Sideline use by a company called "CoachComm".  [I may be wrong about the details, but i do know that when our system needed service recently, we were referred to the OEM [CoachComm] by Clearcom as they were no longer providing support for it.]  As such, the primary criteria were range [football fields are big] and ruggedness [football coaches are not super kind to gear].  Audio quality probably didn't even make the top ten.  It was also designed when every fan didn't necessarily bring a 2.4gHz radio with them in their pocket.

I guess this doesn't really matter, but it does help explain the big rubbery packs and the odd placement of channels [you can talk to A OR B, but certainly not both at once!].  It also explains why the beltpacks are the only device in my life that required me to read the manual to figure out how to turn them OFF.

At any rate, when they are deployed correctly, they do work reasonably well and can cover a fairly good range.  So if that was not your experience, that was probably more of a deployment issue than anything else.  You do have to pay close attention to nulling as well as the echo cancellation settings to get the best results.  And admittedly, even then they don't sound great.  But they do work.

One of the interesting little gotchas is that if you plug the little extender antenna box in, you MUST power cycle the base station AFTERWARDS for it to work.  It will light up as if it were working, but the base station will not see it.  I do wonder if that is not what happened in your case, and the whole time it was still trying to use the [lack of] antennas on the base station to function.

Last silly Tempest thing i know about.  It can be really difficult to get the rechargeable L-Ion packs out of the beltpacks and i was resorting to slamming the beltpack against my hand to get the infernal things out.  I was like "certainly there is a better method" so i consulted the manual.  This is what the manual says...

"To remove batteries from the battery compartment, turn the BeltStation battery side down and tap the bottom of the BeltStation on the palm of your other hand."

"tap"....  Whatever.  More like smack until you have a bruise.  But it still cracks me up that that is the actual approved "method" of battery removal...

My circus but not my monkey...  the video guys set it up but I'd bet they plugged the transceiver in after the base unit was powered up; I kind of recall seeing lights on the transceiver soon after it was plugged in.  Thanks for this gem o' wisdom.  That nothing changed after moving the transceiver 50' lends great credence to the base station antenna theory.

This would have been so much better if the AV guys knew the gear or if Instructions for Vidiots had been included in the case.

Thank you all for your contributions.  I feel I can now ask better questions and/or can poke random buttons until it works or fails 100%.  Either is better than partially failing...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »

My circus but not my monkey...  the video guys set it up but I'd bet they plugged the transceiver in after the base unit was powered up; I kind of recall seeing lights on the transceiver soon after it was plugged in.  Thanks for this gem o' wisdom.  That nothing changed after moving the transceiver 50' lends great credence to the base station antenna theory.

This would have been so much better if the AV guys knew the gear or if Instructions for Vidiots had been included in the case.

Thank you all for your contributions.  I feel I can now ask better questions and/or can poke random buttons until it works or fails 100%.  Either is better than partially failing...

Yeah, everything i know about the Tempest is from traveling WITH the vidiots for the last several years.  Long Story....

Before i got there, they had all the comms gear they needed, but most of the time ended up texting or calling each other because no one could get it to work.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »

Another year, more insight, somewhat better results.  Still sounds like Octopuses Garden but not from every unit.

This year I moved the transceiver behind the American flag on stage and ran 100' CAT back to the base station.  The change wasn't significant but improved enough that only the director was moved to a wired station.

Again no manual or instructions.  I'm the venue A1, not the coms or RF person and making outside vendor gear work is not my priority - presumably the vendor knows their gear and my job is to help them set it up and take care of venue equipment and mix the event.

Not sure I'll take this assignment next year.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 25 queries.