ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Upgrade Question  (Read 4284 times)

Richard Penrose

Re: Speaker Upgrade Question
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »

The RCF NX32a would be worth condisering.

https://www.rcf.it/products/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_2MT9qNpeXdu4/20195/291491

Also, Yamaha have just released a new range called the DZR. These are supposed to be a step up from the DSR.

The DZR12 would be a possibility but you’d have to wait a while before they are in stores and there are some reviews.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/dzr_dxs_xlf/specs.html#

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »

I thought someone here (another thread) said they read it was a replacement of the DSR.  Could it be they were wrong?  ;)

My Digital Crystal Ball is doing an update and will be offline...

But it would seem odd for Yamaha to choke up the mid/upper price point of the D** line; something's gotta go.  DBR is the bottom rung of the D family ladder so it will probably stay until a new series is launched; DX or DS?  Hard to say as they're not hugely far apart in market position.

How different are the DSR from the DZR and will those difference be enough for the market to embrace the Z?  How much 'better' or different/similar are the DZR from JBL's SRX8**p or similar products from other manufacturers?  In some ways it's hard to determine if Yamaha is competing against itself or others.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

George Herbert

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »

The RCF NX32a would be worth condisering.

https://www.rcf.it/products/product-detail/-/journal_content/56_INSTANCE_2MT9qNpeXdu4/20195/291491

Also, Yamaha have just released a new range called the DZR. These are supposed to be a step up from the DSR.

The DZR12 would be a possibility but you’d have to wait a while before they are in stores and there are some reviews.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/speakers/dzr_dxs_xlf/specs.html#

NX cost a lot more than HD. I pulled the trigger on the HD 32A. I don't like making this choice without being able to listen to a bunch of candidates, but so it goes ... Thanks to all who responded, I'll report back on this in a couple of weeks.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »

In some ways it's hard to determine if Yamaha is competing against itself or others.

True. Especially considering they have now announced the DXS-XLF model subs when the new, improved DXS-MKII subs were just announced a couple of months ago.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Scott Bolt

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 09:18:11 PM »

My Digital Crystal Ball is doing an update and will be offline...

But it would seem odd for Yamaha to choke up the mid/upper price point of the D** line; something's gotta go.  DBR is the bottom rung of the D family ladder so it will probably stay until a new series is launched; DX or DS?  Hard to say as they're not hugely far apart in market position.

How different are the DSR from the DZR and will those difference be enough for the market to embrace the Z?  How much 'better' or different/similar are the DZR from JBL's SRX8**p or similar products from other manufacturers?  In some ways it's hard to determine if Yamaha is competing against itself or others.

Hey Tim,

Seems difficult to see how the DSR series will survive the release of the DZR series.  Same price range, same target market.  And while I love my DSR's, they are over 7 years old now and the design was a year old when I bought it.  I think Yamaha over-shot the original competitive mark and got themselves a fine speaker .... but the cost was a bit high compared to the competition ..... thus the DXR line and then DBR.  Replacing the DSR line with the DZR and raising the price a bit makes a great deal of sense to me.

A good lineup would then be DBR->DXR->DZR.  All very distinct price brackets, and all distinct levels of output and quality.

I am not as sure about the subs though.  DXS->DXS-XLF? 

David Allred

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 09:35:01 AM »

A good lineup would then be DBR->DXR->DZR.  All very distinct price brackets, and all distinct levels of output and quality.

I am not as sure about the subs though.  DXS->DXS-XLF?

Seems they like the D(igital?) and the R(eenforcement?), but have painted themselves in the corner with Z for future improved models.  Guess Z means ultimate or last.

George Herbert

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »

Apologies for asking a "which speakers" question. There's no place around where I can audition the stuff I am interested in, and I am fairly inexperienced. Unfortunately online research ends up being a significant part of my purchasing homework. Your thoughts and opinions are helpful. I currently own 2X EV ELX 112P. I'd like to upgrade for better overall audio quality. I don't need more power, don't need onboard EQ/DSP. Would like to keep the weight down to around 50 lbs or less. Application is a hobbyist acoustic band, playing at modest SPL. My two leading contenders are EV ETX 112P and RCF HD 32-A mk4.

I cite those two as leading contenders because 1) when I bought my current ELXs, I preferred the sound of the EVs to the available comparitors, which were QSC Ks and Yamaha DXRs, and 2) very rare to read negative reviews/opinions of RCF in general. Some of what I read about the HD 32-A is that it's particularly good for vocals and acoustic guitars, which some folks attribute to the relatively low crossover at 700 hz.

Would either of these be a "slap you in the face" upgrade in general audio quality? Any other speakers in this price range that I should take a serious look at?

Thanks for your help.

After some playing around at home and one gig I'm really liking the RCFs. Good detail and depth. Clear and not overly processed sounding. Compact and easy to handle.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.