ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Speaker Upgrade Question  (Read 4283 times)

George Herbert

Speaker Upgrade Question
« on: April 16, 2018, 03:16:07 PM »

Apologies for asking a "which speakers" question. There's no place around where I can audition the stuff I am interested in, and I am fairly inexperienced. Unfortunately online research ends up being a significant part of my purchasing homework. Your thoughts and opinions are helpful. I currently own 2X EV ELX 112P. I'd like to upgrade for better overall audio quality. I don't need more power, don't need onboard EQ/DSP. Would like to keep the weight down to around 50 lbs or less. Application is a hobbyist acoustic band, playing at modest SPL. My two leading contenders are EV ETX 112P and RCF HD 32-A mk4.

I cite those two as leading contenders because 1) when I bought my current ELXs, I preferred the sound of the EVs to the available comparitors, which were QSC Ks and Yamaha DXRs, and 2) very rare to read negative reviews/opinions of RCF in general. Some of what I read about the HD 32-A is that it's particularly good for vocals and acoustic guitars, which some folks attribute to the relatively low crossover at 700 hz.

Would either of these be a "slap you in the face" upgrade in general audio quality? Any other speakers in this price range that I should take a serious look at?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
Re: Speaker Upgrade Question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »

Would either of these be a "slap you in the face" upgrade in general audio quality? Any other speakers in this price range that I should take a serious look at?

Yamaha DSR112 would fall in that price range.

Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:49:18 PM »

1) I currently own 2X EV ELX 112P. I'd like to upgrade for better overall audio quality. I don't need more power, don't need onboard EQ/DSP.
2)Would like to keep the weight down to around 50 lbs or less. Application is a hobbyist acoustic band, playing at modest SPL. My two leading contenders are EV ETX 112P and RCF HD 32-A mk4.
3)Some of what I read about the HD 32-A is that it's particularly good for vocals and acoustic guitars, which some folks attribute to the relatively low crossover at 700 hz.
4)Would either of these be a "slap you in the face" upgrade in general audio quality?
George,

Having been "fooled" before, without a direct A/B comparison, I'd be unwilling to drop much $$ on a new speaker, unless the ones in question have obvious deficiencies.

1) All the speakers you mention use onboard EQ/DSP. There have been some big changes in processing power and filter designs over the years, allowing large improvements in the sound of ordinary transducers.
Unfortunately, how the DSP "sounds" won't be clear in the specifications, but a smooth phase and frequency response are always something to look for.
2) Fulcrum Acoustic should also be considered, their co-axial and cardioid designs are at the forefront of what you are looking for. Dave Gunness really was a pioneer in FIR, though others are "catching up" ;^).
3) The 3" diaphragm of the HD 32-A allows it to be a step above the usual 2-ways, and RCF FIR filtering does "sound good".
4) You have decent speakers now, a "slap you in the face" upgrade might not even be possible, though there is room for improvement.

Art

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 05:17:59 PM »

Yamaha DSR112 would fall in that price range.

And is a noticeable improvement over the ELX112P.   
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

George Herbert

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 01:00:14 PM »

George,

Having been "fooled" before, without a direct A/B comparison, I'd be unwilling to drop much $$ on a new speaker, unless the ones in question have obvious deficiencies.

1) All the speakers you mention use onboard EQ/DSP. There have been some big changes in processing power and filter designs over the years, allowing large improvements in the sound of ordinary transducers.
Unfortunately, how the DSP "sounds" won't be clear in the specifications, but a smooth phase and frequency response are always something to look for.
2) Fulcrum Acoustic should also be considered, their co-axial and cardioid designs are at the forefront of what you are looking for. Dave Gunness really was a pioneer in FIR, though others are "catching up" ;^).
3) The 3" diaphragm of the HD 32-A allows it to be a step above the usual 2-ways, and RCF FIR filtering does "sound good".
4) You have decent speakers now, a "slap you in the face" upgrade might not even be possible, though there is room for improvement.

Art

Thank you, Art. I'm curious about the diaphragm size. If a larger diaphragm size is better, why isn't it more common? Not doubting you at all, just curious.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »

Thank you, Art. I'm curious about the diaphragm size. If a larger diaphragm size is better, why isn't it more common? Not doubting you at all, just curious.

Costs more.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »

And is a noticeable improvement over the ELX112P.
(DSR112)...and a $100 rebate because of the phase out of the line.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »

(DSR112)...and a $100 rebate because of the phase out of the line.

I have not seen any mention from Yamaha that they are phasing out the DSR. The various rebates they offer have occured previously as well.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 01:32:20 PM »

While I have not compared them to your other choices I got a pair of RCF 735A MK4's for a customer and I will say pluging a 58 straight into them sounded really good.

There's some DSP magic going inside them but on the speaker it self all your have is a power switch, mic/line switch and a level control and that can be a very good thing!

David Allred

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »

I have not seen any mention from Yamaha that they are phasing out the DSR. The various rebates they offer have occured previously as well.
I thought someone here (another thread) said they read it was a replacement of the DSR.  Could it be they were wrong?  ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.