ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First commercial project  (Read 2208 times)

chris georgiou

First commercial project
« on: April 15, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

First commercial job; normally deal with resi in NYC. I have to provide a sound system for a small hotel(9 rooms)/restaurant in Long Island.

I have five zones of audio(Main Dining room, lounge, two bathrooms, front outdoor and side outdoor. Thinking of BSS BLU-100 with Crown DCI Drivecore Blu for the main dining and lounge, Crown CDI Drivecore Blu for the outside two zones and something basic for the two baths(wired together, same size.)

Six bi amped JBL AM7212 for the dining room(43’L x 26’W x 17’H plus 25’ x 17’ x 13’ for the bar) , 8 bi amped AC28 for the lounge (47’L x 27W x 8’H) plus Paradigm Garden Oasis for outside. I'll probably have the outdoors set to low-z for both the satellites and subs.

Sonos with commercial music, one TV for the bar, AUX 3.5mm wall plate, two XLRs wall plate for a mixer(more XLRs?). Dont know much about DJ equipment; don't have to worry about it at this point but I need to provide the option for a DJ to connect his own mixer.

Control: Five AC-V/AC-5s for local control in the DJ booth with the equipment, 5 EC-8BV throughout the property and an RTI system.

Security, Surveilance cams and VOIP is taken care of somebody else.

Ubiquity router/managed switches and APs.

What do you guys think? Am I headed in the right direction  with the equipment? What am I missing and what are the "gotchas" in commercial? Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:09:06 PM by krassyg »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: First commercial project
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 01:46:45 PM »

Your first gotcha is not complying with the form rules requiring real names.  Beat you fix that or you won’t get any other responses.

chris georgiou

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:04:20 PM »

Your first gotcha is not complying with the form rules requiring real names.  Beat you fix that or you won’t get any other responses.

My real name or pr0n name? J/k, fixed.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »

I see you went with your pr0n name. . .nice.

Seems like a lot of sound for a dining room, at first glance. What's the purpose there? Dance club events or is it just BGM?

Why Paradigm outside? Aren't they a consumer electronics brand? You may want to look at the Tannoy AMS DC series. Those IP65 speakers are 16Ω so you can put 8 on an amp channel, which is nice.

My real name or pr0n name? J/k, fixed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:16:43 PM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 11:38:24 PM »

We do a lot of boutique hotels and although high-end, non of them want to commit the budget for the level of gear you're quoting.

That is, unless it truly is a nightclub with guest room attached (but then where are your subs?)

Don't waste too much time generating a proposal drawing set until you get a ballpark budget -and do have a fallback-bid without the bi-amped speakers and the pricey blu/drivecore gear.  -Perhaps conventional distributed ceiling speakers or Pendants?

We have luck with Ashly gear and modern plastic full-range boxes.
(look at the Sonance or Klipsch commercial stuff if you want something with "audiophile recognition" yet still has great install-friendly features.  EV ZX1i, Community Veris or D series

And definitely don't be afraid of modern speakers and direct-driven 70V!  -without the output transformers and autotransformer attenuators many of these systems can sound "8-ohm"

First commercial job; normally deal with resi in NYC. I have to provide a sound system for a small hotel(9 rooms)/restaurant in Long Island.

I have five zones of audio(Main Dining room, lounge, two bathrooms, front outdoor and side outdoor. Thinking of BSS BLU-100 with Crown DCI Drivecore Blu for the main dining and lounge, Crown CDI Drivecore Blu for the outside two zones and something basic for the two baths(wired together, same size.)

Six bi amped JBL AM7212 for the dining room(43’L x 26’W x 17’H plus 25’ x 17’ x 13’ for the bar) , 8 bi amped AC28 for the lounge (47’L x 27W x 8’H) plus Paradigm Garden Oasis for outside. I'll probably have the outdoors set to low-z for both the satellites and subs.

Sonos with commercial music, one TV for the bar, AUX 3.5mm wall plate, two XLRs wall plate for a mixer(more XLRs?). Dont know much about DJ equipment; don't have to worry about it at this point but I need to provide the option for a DJ to connect his own mixer.

Control: Five AC-V/AC-5s for local control in the DJ booth with the equipment, 5 EC-8BV throughout the property and an RTI system.

Security, Surveilance cams and VOIP is taken care of somebody else.

Ubiquity router/managed switches and APs.

What do you guys think? Am I headed in the right direction  with the equipment? What am I missing and what are the "gotchas" in commercial? Thanks.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 07:48:00 AM »

The mention of a DJ connection to the system will be a big system "gotcha" if they allow just any DJ to come in and want to turn the system and room into dance club.

chris georgiou

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:17 AM »

I see you went with your pr0n name. . .nice.

Seems like a lot of sound for a dining room, at first glance. What's the purpose there? Dance club events or is it just BGM?

Why Paradigm outside? Aren't they a consumer electronics brand? You may want to look at the Tannoy AMS DC series. Those IP65 speakers are 16Ω so you can put 8 on an amp channel, which is nice.

It is an upscale job in the Haptons so the budget should be OK; I did the client's appartment in Manhattan and it was about 100k. It was supposed to be just BGM in the dining room and I was thinking in-ceiling since it looks like upscale dining from the pics. Then he requested the option to hold events; there were McCauley ID2.112 speakers alredy installed that I'm replacing.

The lounge already has a DJ booth and smaller Mccauley ID2.208-64 installed and bi-amped(no equipment)

Is it an overkill to bi-amp on such a small venue?

Dining Room 43’L x 26’W x 17’H
Adjascent Main Bar
25’ x 17’ x 13’

Lounge
47’L x 27W x 8’H

He did like the look of the Paradigm and the inground subs. They have a low-z and 70/100v option(except the subs of cource). They also have the DSP presets for the Crown CDI 1000.
https://www.paradigm.com/garden-oasis/specs.php?model=garden-oasis-go6

Speking of amps; would I be able to use the DSP presets on a different line of Crown amps? I would prefer to go with a blu link amp. Is the DCI Drivecore line worth it over the CDI Drivecore?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 08:34:07 AM by chris georgiou »

ProSoundWeb Community

Β« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:25:17 AM Β»

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.