ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Any concerns using Senn ENG set as IEM?  (Read 4342 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Any concerns using Senn ENG set as IEM?
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:12:43 AM »

Hi folks,
I've got a Senn IEM set racked with a Senn Wireless Mic system.  I've started using the IEM pack as a monitor set while mixing on the iPad to be able to solo channels and all the other neat stuff one can do with headphones at the console.  It works quite well.

The problem is size.  Many times I just do not have enough real estate at mixer location (especially briefcase jobs) to bring in my portable rack.   I could separate the IEM unit from the wireless mic receiver, but that adds to the complexity of the setup for those jobs where I need both.

So recently a film maker has been hooking his ENG transmitter to the mixer, and the receiver to his camera/recording rig.  So small, the size of the normal battery operated transmitter or receiver pack.

So that looked to be a possible solution for my portable mixstation solo/monitor/IEM needs.

Can anyone think of any reason this would not be a good solution?  My purpose would be mixing and blending, rather than trying to optimize actual timbre.  Also with in-ears, I could substantially muffle the crowd noise and in theory, produce a better mix.

Comments?

thanks
frank

----------------
One thing I noticed with the ENG set is there is no external volume control on the receiver (duh!).  Then I thought pairing an ENG transmitter with one of my IEM receivers.

further thought begs another question:
Can a standard lav transmitter pack sync properly with an IEM receiver, effectively kludging an ENG set?

Hmmm... That test I can do myself for free...
---------------
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:26:43 AM by frank kayser »

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
Re: Any concerns using Senn ENG set as IEM?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 10:41:35 AM »

Hi folks,
I've got a Senn IEM set racked with a Senn Wireless Mic system.  I've started using the IEM pack as a monitor set while mixing on the iPad to be able to solo channels and all the other neat stuff one can do with headphones at the console.  It works quite well.

The problem is size.  Many times I just do not have enough real estate at mixer location (especially briefcase jobs) to bring in my portable rack.   I could separate the IEM unit from the wireless mic receiver, but that adds to the complexity of the setup for those jobs where I need both.

So recently a film maker has been hooking his ENG transmitter to the mixer, and the receiver to his camera/recording rig.  So small, the size of the normal battery operated transmitter or receiver pack.

So that looked to be a possible solution for my portable mixstation solo/monitor/IEM needs.

Can anyone think of any reason this would not be a good solution?  My purpose would be mixing and blending, rather than trying to optimize actual timbre.  Also with in-ears, I could substantially muffle the crowd noise and in theory, produce a better mix.

Comments?

thanks
frank

----------------
One thing I noticed with the ENG set is there is no external volume control on the receiver (duh!).  Then I thought pairing an ENG transmitter with one of my IEM receivers.

Can a standard lav transmitter pack sync properly with an IEM receiver, effectively kludging an ENG set?

---------------

Way back when, the first demo Sennheiser iem kit that I got to use was basically a reworked ENG package with the belt pack type transmitter and a receiver pack. Two mixes...two transmit packs taped to the top of the meter bridge...so elegant.
Should work just fine for an rf cue system.
The pairing kludge will be a matter of pilot tone on/off settings and if the compander schemes match up.
Happy kludging!

frank kayser

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »

Way back when, the first demo Sennheiser iem kit that I got to use was basically a reworked ENG package with the belt pack type transmitter and a receiver pack. Two mixes...two transmit packs taped to the top of the meter bridge...so elegant.
Should work just fine for an rf cue system.
The pairing kludge will be a matter of pilot tone on/off settings and if the compander schemes match up.
Happy kludging!
Thanks, John.  We'll see what happens this afternoon.  Not holding my breath, though. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 07:40:02 PM »

I'm pretty sure any style Senny TX will work with any style RX as long as they are set to the same frequency.  I have sent from a IEM TX box to a couple of mic RX boxes for remote speaker speakers and it worked perfectly.
If you are in the crowd with a body pack, make sure you get the TX or antenna up as high as practical.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 08:17:15 PM »

I'm pretty sure any style Senny TX will work with any style RX as long as they are set to the same frequency.

The thing to be aware of with Sennheiser's analogue RF gear is that they have two different companding schemes, HiDyn and HDX. As long as the TX and RX both "speak" the same companding scheme you should be able to get something usable through the system, at least in mono.

-Russ

frank kayser

Well, sunny beach!  Save the money.  No need for an ENG system (for my application, anyway)
The G3 wireless beltpack transmitter can work with the G3 IEM beltpack receiver!
This is SO COOL.  Hook it to any mixer monitor bus and I'm in business with a 4 sq inch footprint.

Transmitting from iPhone->G3 transmitter ~/~> G3 IEM receiver->Headphones.
Of course, frequencies must match.
Pilot tone on IEM receiver must be OFF
Pilot Tone on beltpack transmitter can be either on or off.  Made no difference I could tell with my sub-5-minute "test".

I had my IEMs set for mono, so pilot tone was off initially.
Set the frequency, and on pops the green connect light.
Break out the iPhone and headphones, and music was flowing.

As pilot tone was mentioned, I did test that after I celebrated.
Best >$500 I ever saved!  WooHoo!

Hope this helps someone!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »

I would be careful referencing your mix to ear buds or headphones, you would be mixing in completely different environment than what the audience is listening in.

TomBoisseau

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:32:44 AM »

Hi folks,

Comments?

thanks
frank

----------------

---------------

Frank,

I frequently use a Sennheiser SK 100 G3 beltpack transmitter to feed a Sennheiser EK 300 IEM receiver.  Provided they are in the same frequency band and you turn OFF the pilot tone, it works just fine.  While the signal will be mono, it will  however appear in both sides of your headset. 

This works MUCH beter that trying to use the Sennheiser EK 100 G3 ENG receiver.  With the EK 100 G3 you will only get audio in one ear and the output level will likely be too low.

The only thing that might be a little tricky is getting or building the cable for the SK 100 G3 beltpack transmitter.  If you need the pin out info, let me know.

Oh, and the companding issue is not an issue at all.  They match up perfectly.

Tom

frank kayser

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 12:24:26 PM »

I would be careful referencing your mix to ear buds or headphones, you would be mixing in completely different environment than what the audience is listening in.

Caution noted, Mike. I'm using it more to blend voices and instruments across the stage.  I regularly pull the plug, so to speak, to ensure I do not make decisions based solely on the cue mix.  Also any voice/instrument eq issues are always done ears open.

Frank,

I frequently use a Sennheiser SK 100 G3 beltpack transmitter to feed a Sennheiser EK 300 IEM receiver.  Provided they are in the same frequency band and you turn OFF the pilot tone, it works just fine.  While the signal will be mono, it will  however appear in both sides of your headset. 

This works MUCH beter that trying to use the Sennheiser EK 100 G3 ENG receiver.  With the EK 100 G3 you will only get audio in one ear and the output level will likely be too low.

The only thing that might be a little tricky is getting or building the cable for the SK 100 G3 beltpack transmitter.  If you need the pin out info, let me know.

Oh, and the companding issue is not an issue at all.  They match up perfectly.

Tom

That is exactly what I found, Tom.  Saving money not buying an ENG set was such a bonus!  If you wouldn't mind sharing the cable pinout, the rest of the board and I will benefit from your research.

thanks, Tom.

frank

TomBoisseau

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »

Caution noted, Mike. I'm using it more to blend voices and instruments across the stage.  I regularly pull the plug, so to speak, to ensure I do not make decisions based solely on the cue mix.  Also any voice/instrument eq issues are always done ears open.

That is exactly what I found, Tom.  Saving money not buying an ENG set was such a bonus!  If you wouldn't mind sharing the cable pinout, the rest of the board and I will benefit from your research.

thanks, Tom.

frank

The wiring into the Sennheiser SK 100 G3 beltpack transmitter is quite odd, but, trust me, this is the correct wiring:

Tip & Sleeve - short together and connect to signal "minus" (-) or shield
Ring - connect to signal "plus" (+)

I know, I know.  I told you it was quite odd, but that is the correct way to do it!

Or course this is an "unbalanced" connection, so if you are using a balanced output to feed the SK 100 use an appropriate adapter or transfomer to "unbalance" the signal.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:25:56 PM by TomBoisseau »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 09:44:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.