ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Insulating jack pads for lightning  (Read 5071 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Insulating jack pads for lightning
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »

If the frame of the RV is properly bonded to the incoming EGC then the frame of the RV is in parallel with the EGC wiring-I think you actually want paths to earth.  If this was a home, then any and all grounding electrodes would be required to be in parallel and multiple grounding electrodes would genrally be viewed as desirable.

I think in wet conditions (high probability when lightning is a concern), rubber isolating pads would have neglible value with lightning, but they might manage to isolate the chassis enough to create a shock hazard.

My vote would be to take a chance on quite a few RVs getting wiring fried before I would place one life in jeopardy.  A lot of code grounding is focused on keeping everything at the same ground potential-and that requires connections and bonding-not isolation. Like JR, I like things that are bonded together-intentionally or not in this case.
JR does not necessarily "like" unintentionally bonded together grounds, but UL sure likes their grounds. 

I have been thinking about this for decades with no obvious alternative. I did lift EGC with a relay contact in one of my prototype muso savers if I detected GFCI fault "and" above threshold EGC path current... (not UL legal).

I do like the idea of some relay or robot shore power lift device to help avoid incidental damage during local electrical storms. More robust battery storage and automatic disconnects might make this less painful for RV owners.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Insulating jack pads for lightning
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 12:55:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.