ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?  (Read 6881 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »

I appreciate that Scott. I will look into the Ubiquity WAP's ......

The Ubiquity stuff is quite good.  Especially when you start wanting to run multiple SSIDs and networks off of it. 
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 09:51:04 PM »

The Ubiquity stuff is quite good.  Especially when you start wanting to run multiple SSIDs and networks off of it.
Though I think you guys are making it way too complicated. As soon as I heard vlans...

Come on guys, Debbie has a dozen or two fixtures. None are complicated movers needing a pile of DMX addresses.

Her IP network has 6 devices on it.
Everything except the tablets should have fixed IP addresses.

Debbie, IP addresses are just like postal addresses.
For class C networks (what most little networks are), try this analogy

xxx.yyy.sss.zzz as an address
zzz is the house number
sss is the street name
yyy is the zip
xxx is the country code

DHCP assigns an address to me when I park my RV in your driveway. When I move on and park in Scott’s driveway, the local DHCP servers gives me a new address local to him.

You already have one fixed address, the LAN port on your Airport Express. You also may have fixed (known as static) address in your QU.
All you need to do is assign fixed addresses to your DMX dongles then you can choose the right one for the tablet you are using.

The only thing you need be concerned about is to choose static IPs that are not in the group being handed out by the DHCP server in the AE. You can define which ones are handed out by using the Airport Utility.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2018, 10:23:23 PM »

Though I think you guys are making it way too complicated. As soon as I heard vlans...

Come on guys, Debbie has a dozen or two fixtures. None are complicated movers needing a pile of DMX addresses.

zzz is the house number
sss is the street name
yyy is the zip
xxx is the country code

DHCP assigns an address to me when I park my RV in your driveway. When I move on and park in Scott’s driveway, the local DHCP servers gives me a new address local to him.

You already have one fixed address, the LAN port on your Airport Express. You also may have fixed (known as static) address in your QU.
All you need to do is assign fixed addresses to your DMX dongles then you can choose the right one for the tablet you are using.

The only thing you need be concerned about is to choose static IPs that are not in the group being handed out by the DHCP server in the AE. You can define which ones are handed out by using the Airport Utility.

yes Rob, my set up is pretty straightforward.

I have some confusion regarding this.
I have fixed IP addresses on my QU mixers but I have DHCP/Broadcast set on my two art net ODE's. If I were to assign fixed addresses to each of my artnet ODE's, how would the iPads that I use know which set of lights to control if both sets are connected to the same router? The iPad only distinguishes between router network names - doesn't it?.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 10:40:17 PM »

zzz is the house number
sss is the street name
yyy is the zip
xxx is the country code

Rob -

Her controllers use some type of broadcast protocol.  Can't have two in the same network.  That's why I suggested two SSID
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »

Rob -

Her controllers use some type of broadcast protocol.  Can't have two in the same network.  That's why I suggested two SSID

ARP/Unicast, I believe.  IP addresses are really irrelevant on my Enttec.
frank

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 05:26:51 PM »

ARP/Unicast, I believe.  IP addresses are really irrelevant on my Enttec.
frank

Frank - So two can live in the same collision domain?  The software has a way to map it to the right mac/controller?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 11:09:42 PM »

Frank - So two can live in the same collision domain?  The software has a way to map it to the right mac/controller?
Hi Scott,
I wish I could answer that definitively. I *think* so.  Enttec configuration software *can* identify the various Enttec controllers, but in Debbie's case, with multiple ODE manufacturers, I'd say the chances are slim.  Then again, it may be a plus. Above my pay grade.

My last attempt to get all that sorted was about nine months ago when the Unifi controller at the time was still having trouble with their unicast handling.  Also, I was just dealing with a single universe, and was running multiple VLANs, so I had a built in workaround just by adding another VLAN.  Since then, I haven't had the need or time to get back to it, unfortunately.
frank

James Paul

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 04:02:40 AM »

Is there any reason why I should not place 2 Apple Airport Express routers next to each other.....

From the Apple APE set-up guide :
Best Locations for AirPort Express
The following recommendations can help your AirPort Express achieve the best wireless range
and network coverage.
     Place your AirPort Express in an open area where there are few obstructions, such as large
pieces of furniture or walls. Place it away from metallic surfaces.
     Avoid placing your AirPort Express behind furniture or inside cabinets.
     Don’t lay your AirPort Express on its side. Don’t place your AirPort Express in areas surrounded by metal surfaces on three or more sides.
     If you put your AirPort Express in an entertainment center with your stereo equipment,
don’t surround AirPort Express with audio, video, or power cables. Place your AirPort Express
so the cables are to one side. Keep as much space as possible between AirPort Express and
the cables.
     Place your AirPort Express at least 25 feet (8 meters) from any microwave oven, 2.4 GHz
cordless phone, or other source of interference.
The following items can cause interference with Wi-Fi communication:
   Microwave ovens
   Direct Satellite Service (DSS) radio frequency leakage
   The original coaxial cable that may come with a satellite dish. Contact the device
manufacturer and get newer cables.
   Electrical devices such as power lines, electrical railroad tracks, and power stations.
   Cordless telephones that operate in the 2.4 GHz range. If you have problems with your
phone or AirPort communication, change the channel that your AirPort Express uses.
   Adjacent base stations using nearby channels. For example, if device A is set to channel
1, device B should be set to channel 6 or 11. For best results, use channel 1, 6, or 11 when
operating your device in the 2.4 GHz range.
    The farther away the interference source, the less likely it is to cause a problem.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Though conventional wisdom would suggest best avoid direct stacked or adjacent placement, in practice (IME) though doable, not preferable. Best allow some distance of say a 24" or greater.

Another plus one for the Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC products, and fixed IPs for your digital mixers, and ARTNET/DMX dongles via ENNTEC and DMXking utility software, with DHCP for tablets and computers. 

May I suggest a compact garden variety 4-6 port dualband B/G/N/AC wireless router, (2, redundant & power supplies), providing LAN ports your digi mixer, lighting dongles, and a DHCP-enabled PoE UniFi AP. With this setup, the XYZ WiFi Router would work for a majority of situations, whereas you can deploy the UniFi when required, as in larger distance access.

Debbie, questions. Why the separate lighting rig and hence dongle ? Why an APE ?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:50 AM »

From the Apple APE set-up guide :
Best Locations for AirPort Express
The following recommendations can help your AirPort Express achieve the best wireless range
and network coverage.
     Place your AirPort Express in an open area where there are few obstructions, such as large
pieces of furniture or walls. Place it away from metallic surfaces.
     Avoid placing your AirPort Express behind furniture or inside cabinets.
     Don’t lay your AirPort Express on its side. Don’t place your AirPort Express in areas surrounded by metal surfaces on three or more sides.
     If you put your AirPort Express in an entertainment center with your stereo equipment,
don’t surround AirPort Express with audio, video, or power cables. Place your AirPort Express
so the cables are to one side. Keep as much space as possible between AirPort Express and
the cables.
     Place your AirPort Express at least 25 feet (8 meters) from any microwave oven, 2.4 GHz
cordless phone, or other source of interference.
The following items can cause interference with Wi-Fi communication:
   Microwave ovens
   Direct Satellite Service (DSS) radio frequency leakage
   The original coaxial cable that may come with a satellite dish. Contact the device
manufacturer and get newer cables.
   Electrical devices such as power lines, electrical railroad tracks, and power stations.
   Cordless telephones that operate in the 2.4 GHz range. If you have problems with your
phone or AirPort communication, change the channel that your AirPort Express uses.
   Adjacent base stations using nearby channels. For example, if device A is set to channel
1, device B should be set to channel 6 or 11. For best results, use channel 1, 6, or 11 when
operating your device in the 2.4 GHz range.
    The farther away the interference source, the less likely it is to cause a problem.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Though conventional wisdom would suggest best avoid direct stacked or adjacent placement, in practice (IME) though doable, not preferable. Best allow some distance of say a 24" or greater.

Another plus one for the Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC products, and fixed IPs for your digital mixers, and ARTNET/DMX dongles via ENNTEC and DMXking utility software, with DHCP for tablets and computers. 

May I suggest a compact garden variety 4-6 port dualband B/G/N/AC wireless router, (2, redundant & power supplies), providing LAN ports your digi mixer, lighting dongles, and a DHCP-enabled PoE UniFi AP. With this setup, the XYZ WiFi Router would work for a majority of situations, whereas you can deploy the UniFi when required, as in larger distance access.

Debbie, questions. Why the separate lighting rig and hence dongle ? Why an APE ?

Hi James , I am not separating lights from sound. I have run the 2 successfully for some years through one single Apple Airport Express router.
I am considering running another lighting universe which this current set -up (Luminair software) does not allow. I usually run this second light system by RF remote but it is awkward for me sometimes. So as I already own a second AE, it would be simple to run the second universe through that router and use a different Luminair program.

Update: As an experiment, on saturday I tried my 2 AE's stacked together and ran sound through one and lights through the other and it was successful.
However, I would still like to explore getting something like the Ubiquity that would allow the 2 networks through the one WAP.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

James Paul

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »

Debbie, no surprise with successful dual APE deployment. However my point is to reduce the use of two APEs, WAPs, or WiFi routers to only ONE active WAP for ONE network. To make use of what you already posses, one of your APEs, LAN to XYZ unmanaged switch or router, LAN to lamp dongles, LAN to digi-mixer du jour, resulting in ONE network, with TWO lighting universes, digi-mixer du jour, and any number of GUI devices, and a redundant APE.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 02:35:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.