ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?  (Read 6880 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina

Is there any reason why I should not place 2 Apple Airport Express routers next to each other - using one to run sound remotely to QU mixer and also to run DMX stage lights - the other to run a separate set of DMX lights using different ODE and iPad.??.....
I have only ever used one router at a time so I've never had to consider this and I don't want to cause conflicts.

Thanks guys.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: OK to position 2 x Apple Airport Express routers next to each other?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »

My gut reaction is that yes they might mess each other up unless they explicitly are set up on different channels.

I would have em at least several inches separated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »

Any reason you can't run on same network?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »

Is there any reason why I should not place 2 Apple Airport Express routers next to each other - using one to run sound remotely to QU mixer and also to run DMX stage lights - the other to run a separate set of DMX lights using different ODE and iPad.??.....
I have only ever used one router at a time so I've never had to consider this and I don't want to cause conflicts.

Thanks guys.
That's not going to be a good situation.  Is there a reason you can't put your sound and lighting on the same wireless network?

Edit:  Beaten by Scott.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »

I have always run sound and lights through the same router using a switch.
However, I would like to be able to control a different set of lights in addition to this at certain shows from an iPad using the Luminair app which only has one universe. So I thought the easiest way to do this would be to completely separate the 2 systems so that 2 different Luminair apps could be used.
Both of my DMX ODE's  ( Enttec ODE and DMXking Pro 1) are set to DCHP right now but maybe if I issued a static IP address to each one, this might be a better way to solve the issue ???
As you all know - IP address assignment scares me - LOL !!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 04:21:45 PM »

You could use static IPs and set up your devices on different network segments (192.168.1.x for audio, 192.168.2.x for lighting 1, 192.168.3.x for lighting 2).

More work up-front, but if your setup is always the same, you now have known variables and can work around them if you add other devices.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »

I have always run sound and lights through the same router using a switch.
However, I would like to be able to control a different set of lights in addition to this at certain shows from an iPad using the Luminair app which only has one universe. So I thought the easiest way to do this would be to completely separate the 2 systems so that 2 different Luminair apps could be used.
Both of my DMX ODE's  ( Enttec ODE and DMXking Pro 1) are set to DCHP right now but maybe if I issued a static IP address to each one, this might be a better way to solve the issue ???
As you all know - IP address assignment scares me - LOL !!

I have recently ventured into the Very Scary World of Static IP networking on a fairly large scale.

Turns out it's a pretty cool world.  They have Cake!  True Story!

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.  And device conflicts.  But whatever....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »

I have recently ventured into the Very Scary World of Static IP networking on a fairly large scale.

Turns out it's a pretty cool world.  They have Cake!  True Story!

The only thing you have to fear is fear itself.  And device conflicts.  But whatever....

I missed the cake was too mesmerized by the penguins on unicorns.

Seriously there is nothing to it Debbie and we have gotten you through this before.

However I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a pro grade WAP (Ubiquity UniFi) it supports multiple SSID's.  You will have to get a little managed switch too because it will deconstruct the virtual networks (one for each SSID) and map them to physical ports.

In fact if you get it you can just plug it all in and load Teamviewer on your computer.  I can login and set it all up for you.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

Seriously there is nothing to it Debbie and we have gotten you through this before.

However I would take this opportunity to upgrade to a pro grade WAP (Ubiquity UniFi) it supports multiple SSID's.  You will have to get a little managed switch too because it will deconstruct the virtual networks (one for each SSID) and map them to physical ports.

In fact if you get it you can just plug it all in and load Teamviewer on your computer.  I can login and set it all up for you.

Is that an open offer? :)   

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »

I appreciate that Scott. I will look into the Ubiquity WAP's ......

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:13 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 21 queries.