ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 89813 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2019, 09:02:40 AM »

A couple of dB will not help. You need 3dB to even notice and 6-10dB to make a difference.

Obviously, neither speaker puts out  usable SPL anywhere close to the the spec'd max SPL numbers. But the published difference is that the DZR is +5 db louder than the DSR.  If they're measured the same way that would have to be noticeable difference wouldn't it?

My interest is not in making a lateral move just to gain a couple of db , but that I have a genuine  business need for another pair of DSRs and am thinking that adding a pair of DZRs to my inventory instead might serve me better for  2-3 gigs a year which are actually for one of the two bands I play in, not for a client. There is no money for renting anything louder so band will live within the limitations of whatever I bring. Current DSR rig provides enough volume, although pushing the limits.  The rest of the time they'd be going out on the same type of jobs that my DSRs can easily handle.

If a client came to me for a job that was going to be pushing ANY pair of powered 12s to their limits I'd be referring them to a larger company, because it makes no business sense for me to invest in a bigger rig.

This may be moot point anyway as another buying option that gets me more output and make $ense has presented itself.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 09:12:02 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Allred

« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »

I don’t expect that to work. Waste of money to do a mostly lateral change.

My experience is that the reason you hit limits is because you want it louder. Get a couple of dB headroom and you will use it right up and lights are back on.

You validated my point.   "Mostly lateral" is anther way of saying "Some value".  No limiting vs limiting for the same volume is added value.  I was not implying to spend $$ to get that added value.  Only that it exists.  Po-tay-toe, Po-tah-toe.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #262 on: September 02, 2019, 01:52:12 AM »

Finally home from a busy week.
Today I was supplying for a small festival at an estate. Since they were only about expecting about 200 folks, I thought this may be a nice way to try out my new DZR12’s.
At first I was going to just use them without subs, but decided to unload a single TH118 just to be safe.
All I can say is: Anyone want to buy some gently used DSR112’s? I’ve got 8 for sale.

They sound fantastic and they get loud.
I used one over a TH118 on one side and another solo on a stand on the other side of the stage. I ran the DZR’s with the selectable 60hz hpf as I had the sub set up on an aux. I wanted to see if I could actually use these without subs. Probably not. At least not if you want any low end impact.
But they sound great. Vocals were easy to get above the mix and I used very little channel eq. Also, the onboard dsp was handy. The single speaker was set forward about 12 feet so I was able to use the built in delay to match it up to the other side. Handy.
Bands ranged from folky to classic to pop rock, outdoors with about 300 people at any given time. They got a good workout but I definitely wasn’t going full bore on them.
One other quick thing. The weight is the same as DSR, but the handle placement makes it seem lighter, especially getting it on and off a stand.

The burning question still remains: is it louder and lower than the DSR? Sorry, I wasn’t able to do a direct comparo, but I do feel they have a more even or natural sound than the DSR. They do go audibly lower, just not sure they are louder, but I have no reason to believe they wouldn’t be.
Cheers,
BJ
A year later and I just got home from doing this same gig again.
This time i used a pair of long backordered DZR10 that finally arrived.  I used a pair of the little DXS12II subs with them. These DZR10 sound fantastic. I’ll be getting another pair next week.
This years crowd was around 350 over a fairly large distance. Space was about 60’ wide at the stage and about 120’ wide at 100’ back. Smart little system.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Chad Croker

« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »

A year later and I just got home from doing this same gig again.
This time i used a pair of long backordered DZR10 that finally arrived.  I used a pair of the little DXS12II subs with them. These DZR10 sound fantastic. I’ll be getting another pair next week.
This years crowd was around 350 over a fairly large distance. Space was about 60’ wide at the stage and about 120’ wide at 100’ back. Smart little system.

Great to hear some more real world reviews of the DZR range. That sounds like it would be a very neat and powerful little system. How did you find the sound and performance of the DZR 10 compared to the DZR 12?

Heath Eldridge

« Reply #264 on: September 08, 2019, 04:49:24 AM »

I’m really curious as to how the DZR12 compares to the RCF HD32a, which I had planned for my next speaker purchase.

From memory the Yamaha claims to get 139db, the RCF claims 131db. Is the Yamaha really significantly louder in real world, useful live music use? 8db should be a lot.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #265 on: September 08, 2019, 05:14:08 AM »

I’m really curious as to how the DZR12 compares to the RCF HD32a, which I had planned for my next speaker purchase.

From memory the Yamaha claims to get 139db, the RCF claims 131db. Is the Yamaha really significantly louder in real world, useful live music use? 8db should be a lot.

Don't bother with the numbers. They might as well have measured the impact SPL of dropping the speakers from 30,000 feet.
Some reading if you're interested: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/spec-wars-looking-inside-loudspeaker-spl-specifications/

My money would be on the RCF.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Bolt

« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »

Don't bother with the numbers. They might as well have measured the impact SPL of dropping the speakers from 30,000 feet.
Some reading if you're interested: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/spec-wars-looking-inside-loudspeaker-spl-specifications/

My money would be on the RCF.

Chris

Hey Chris,

I would normally completely agree with you; however, what has me wondering is this....

The DSR112 was rated @ 134db and proved to be a louder more clean speaker (arguably) than any speaker in its class despite all those speakers having nearly identical SPL ratings.

The DXR12 is rated slightly lower at 132db.  I can confirm that a DSR112 will audibly get louder than a DXR112 (note the new DXR MKII is rated at 134 .... not sure how these stand up though).

The DZR line is positioned above the DSR line and is rated at 139db.  I would expect (based on previous yamaha speaker specs and actual output as heard directly by those of us hearing them directly), that the DZR would get noticeably louder than even the DSR112.

Now .... does that mean that it can actually obtain 139db measured by us using an industry standard SPL meter at 1 meter?  Likely not IMO.

It likely does mean that the DZR will outperform a DSR and DXR by a noticeably amount.

Now, going back to the original question .... will a DZR12 outperform an RCF HD32a?  I don't know.  I haven't heard the RCF before and certainly haven't been able to A/B them to a DSR, DXR, or DZR.

I think the more appropriate question would be how they sound.  The RCF speakers have been known for their smooth horn output (Yamaha not as much so).  The DZR is considered a more balanced speaker my all that have used them though.  It might be more of a matter of taste perhaps.  I think they are both at the top of the food chain in this part of the market.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #266 on: September 08, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.