ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 34329 times)

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #240 on: January 08, 2019, 09:49:00 pm »

If you've got subs and would always use them, I'd go with the DSRs. If there's a reasonable number of gigs where a pair of speakers on sticks would do the job, the DZRs dig deeper.

Chris
Thanks. Kind of my line of thinking. There would be subs, maybe not for talking heads, but always for rock. Most of what i do is rock, as we used to know it, and i need the vocal clarity that all say this 112 has.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2019, 09:55:18 pm »

3 dB per cabinet is pretty significant in a lot of instances, especially for transients. Perhaps a more reasonable quantification might be that; if you're always hitting clip limiters on your DSR 112 then the DZR12 probably won't be the headroom you've needed. On SPL alone, it comes down to about $200 for 3 dB each speaker.
As i do not have DSR at the moment i do not know how loud they can get. The claimed output seems plenty to me. The extra spl seems to cost more than i need.  Thanks.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2019, 10:12:20 pm »

3 dB per cabinet is pretty significant...

The frequency response specs probably give a relatively accurate comparison of the low end but I'd question the max SPL spec. That single number is more often than not misleading. I don't think it's been shown (or subjectively claimed) by a user that the DZR gets 3dB louder than the DSR or, if it does, sounds good doing it. I think we're all still waiting on a DSR/DZR comparison.

kel mcguire

« Reply #243 on: January 09, 2019, 01:28:48 pm »

The frequency response specs probably give a relatively accurate comparison of the low end but I'd question the max SPL spec. That single number is more often than not misleading. I don't think it's been shown (or subjectively claimed) by a user that the DZR gets 3dB louder than the DSR or, if it does, sounds good doing it. I think we're all still waiting on a DSR/DZR comparison.

agreed. But I just figure on all the specs being similarly misleading, from DSR to DZR, therefore it's not really the actual numbers I'm trusting but more the differences.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2019, 02:21:37 pm »

Peter, when you measured the cabinet in Monitor Mode did you have the cabinet on the ground configured as a wedge?

Hey Eric - these measurements were all snapped with the speaker on a stand, so the there's no half-space loading to compensate for the monitor mode's LF rolloff.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2019, 07:41:18 pm »

Hey Corey, yeh current spec marketing tools do suck, have forever i think. Have to do the legwork ourselves. This post has been around a while and still no a/b. I don't get it nor do i have the means to do it myself. I'd like to have sm80's but out of range this year. So we wait, for me only another 6 weeks. Thanks.

George Reiswig

« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2019, 01:06:24 pm »

Hey Eric - these measurements were all snapped with the speaker on a stand, so the there's no half-space loading to compensate for the monitor mode's LF rolloff.

Resurrecting this thread. I'm still wondering if the DZR12's are substantially better than my DSR112's in output and LF extension. Also, if the addition of fan cooling eliminates the thermal shutdown issue I ran into last summer at an outdoor gig. Any more real-world comparisons?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2019, 05:05:34 pm »

Resurrecting this thread. I'm still wondering if the DZR12's are substantially better than my DSR112's in output and LF extension. Also, if the addition of fan cooling eliminates the thermal shutdown issue I ran into last summer at an outdoor gig. Any more real-world comparisons?

The DSR's go as loud as I would think you could possibly need for the coverage of a single 12" box.  As far as going lower, I didn't measure but they are anemic on the low end.  One look at the design and that is to be expected. 

The fan works great, I don't expect any issues.  We ran them outside for 10 hours on an 85 degree day with the rain covers on no issues.

What I can tell you is they are more open and easier to mix on than the DSR's.  They don't need as much EQ to squeeze everything in.  It's hard to quantify but everyone that has taken them out comes back with the same comments.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

George Reiswig

« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2019, 05:23:18 pm »

Excellent. Thanks, Scott.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2019, 07:20:36 am »

The DSR's go as loud as I would think you could possibly need for the coverage of a single 12" box.  As far as going lower, I didn't measure but they are anemic on the low end.  One look at the design and that is to be expected. 

The fan works great, I don't expect any issues.  We ran them outside for 10 hours on an 85 degree day with the rain covers on no issues.

What I can tell you is they are more open and easier to mix on than the DSR's.  They don't need as much EQ to squeeze everything in.  It's hard to quantify but everyone that has taken them out comes back with the same comments.

Can you elaborate on loudness DZR as compared to DSR? Do you feel there any noticeable additional headroom?

I do maybe 2-3 events a year where I run DSRs over Yorkville USC1Ps and I am tickling the limit lights on the DSRs and even a few extra dbs od headroom would make me feel better.  I am not in a situation where I really want to add (or lift, for that matter) anything other than another pair of powered 12s to my inventory, since I don't have any real use for anything larger and lots of opportunity to rent out more 12s.. 

If you want to feel more Kick drum turn up the kick drum fader, not the damn subs.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.