ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha DZR range!  (Read 89585 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: New Yamaha DZR range!
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2018, 02:18:21 PM »

Ironically, while within this forum it is nearly universally agreed that the DSR112 is superior to other offerings within the same price range and even equal to that of speakers that are notably more expensive, they really aren't that popular IME. 

For every DSR112 I see, I see many many PRX, K, KW 12" top.  For that matter, I see more DXR12's than DSR112's.

Considering this, I don't see how Yamaha can continue to offer both the DSR and DZR speakers.  If the DZR's perform on par or above the DSR, I am not sure there is any reason for them to do so.

DBR12:  $500
DXR12:  $700
DSR112: $900
DZR12:  $1300

It seems to me that 3 product price ranges is enough.  Low, mid, and high (OK, there is another category ..... Pro touring above this).

I suppose it is all about sales.  If the DSR continues to sell after the DZR has time to penetrate the market, then maybe they will keep it around.

Another good comparison would be the DZR vs the SRX812p.  The RCF 745a is another good speaker, but at $1800 ea, it seems like it is more in competition with a higher tier of boxes.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2018, 06:29:20 PM »

When it comes down purely to sound, the DZR would have to be very noticeably better than the DSR AND the SRX to be worth the money IMHO.  My reasoning being that the DSR112 is already very close to the SRX812P in terms of sound quality.
Of course ‘better’ is subjective.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Bolt

« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »

When it comes down purely to sound, the DZR would have to be very noticeably better than the DSR AND the SRX to be worth the money IMHO.  My reasoning being that the DSR112 is already very close to the SRX812P in terms of sound quality.
I agree.

Recently, EV stopped production of the ND767a which has been my favorite mic for a very long time.  The new model ND86 that replaces it is reportedly not as nice from a couple of reviews I have heard to date from people who have had both.

My fear is that Yamaha will do the same thing with the DSR and that the DZR will not have the magic :(

Then I will be left hoping that my DSR's continue to run without issue and/or repair parts are still around for them into the future.  I figure I will have a PA for another 10-15 years .... so if they can just hold on until then ;)

If the DZR's are as good or better than the DSR's, then should I have a failure in the future and parts are not around anymore, I would have no problem buying a new pair of DZR's.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2018, 03:48:23 AM »

Scott, you've got a PM about the EV mics.
I think someone needs to organise a PSW speaker day where we can try out these new speakers and others.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2018, 10:20:04 AM »

I would really like to hear your opinion on the DZR as compared to the 812 if you ever get the chance to compare them. If the $900 list DSR sound close to the $1299 list SRX, I have to think the similarly priced DZR must be noticeably better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

kel mcguire

« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »

Nobody has mentioned anything about those new subs that go along with the DZR tops. On paper, I could see the DZR10 and a pair of the DXS15xlf subs doing what I do with way bigger, heavier gear. People might ask me where is all my stuff…

another thing I am wondering about:
Could two DZR10 cabinet horns be rotated, arrayed with a K&M double adaptor bracket and cranked up on my Dura truss stands each side? …like for an outdoor parks show.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:08:15 PM by kel mcguire »

John Simoson

« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2018, 10:07:43 PM »

Nobody has mentioned anything about those new subs that go along with the DZR tops. On paper, I could see the DZR10 and a pair of the DXS15xlf subs doing what I do with way bigger, heavier gear. People might ask me where is all my stuff…

another thing I am wondering about:
Could two DZR10 cabinet horns be rotated, arrayed with a K&M double adaptor bracket and cranked up on my Dura truss stands each side? …like for an outdoor parks show.

I’ve been licking my chops at the 10s paired with the 15 subs.  Waiting to hear more user feedback here first.

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #227 on: October 09, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »

I was able to get a jump start on my new system and started with these Subs.  Hopefully have a pair of 18’s next week.  Curious to see how they will sound with my k12.2’s but I plan on going with DZR tops once I save a little more cash. 

Rob Bernstein

« Reply #228 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »

Sat through a DZR demo today at AES Show.
They sounded pretty good by themselves, but I'd want a shoot-out to decide if the 12's are that much better than my DSR112's.
They do have a side-handle, which is a nice addition.
But cloth grilles? No thanks.

Greg Harwood

« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »

I was able to get a jump start on my new system and started with these Subs.  Hopefully have a pair of 18’s next week.  Curious to see how they will sound with my k12.2’s but I plan on going with DZR tops once I save a little more cash.

Did you get your 18" subs yet?
Greg H.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #229 on: October 19, 2018, 09:28:41 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.