ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground this....  (Read 11862 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Ground this....
« on: April 09, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »

This is a picture from last week at a campground that was recently upgraded with new pedestals. Apparently, there were no ground wires run, so the contractor came up with this solution. I can't go into details yet, but once I get to the bottom of things I'll be able to discuss it fully here. Comments or captions welcome... 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Ground this....
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »

"If water tap is hot, contact office."

Presuming they did that at every pedestal... wow.  This must be somewhere without required inspections.  The kludge violates Code, too.  Raises so many questions.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:26:52 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:16:58 PM »

Even if a ground wire were run, typically you would "re establish" a ground.  This is not acceptable ( by the NEC) as an alternative to a grounding wire but that was already in the OP.

Self drilling sheet metal screw is not acceptable- must have 2 threads engaged.  Hose clamp is not a listed ground clamp.  Finally, does anyone think that wire will survive even half this camping season?  Maybe we want to protect it somehow?
Steve Swaffer

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 12:49:42 AM »

Maybe this is a great opportunity to put in a ground rod at every pedestal and have independent grounds for everyone.  That'll at least remove the chance of a reflected hot skin problem.  I think I got that term right.  :)

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 05:26:05 AM »

"If water tap is hot, contact office."

Presuming they did that at every pedestal... wow.  This must be somewhere without required inspections.  The kludge violates Code, too.  Raises so many questions.
  On the plus side, at least there's a drip loop. 
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:43:21 AM »

Apparently this was just done at 100 campsites where they poured new concrete pads and installed new pedestal boxes. One of my readers had an Intelligent Surge Protector that monitors voltages and ground, plugged his RV shore power cordeset into this pedestal and got an open-ground alarm light. He called the campground maintenance guy who told him to bypass his Surge Protector and not worry about it since they always wire them like that.

I'm doing a full article on this situation so I can't write any more details here until the story clears. I'm sure there's going to be even more revelations once I interview all the parties involved. 

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 09:56:29 AM »

I don't get it. All that money for pads and new pedestals and such an obvious and simple FUBAR.  What is it with these campgrounds?  Do they all use the same incompetent electrician?
Can't be money - what would be the extra cost per pedestal for a ground wire? Lazy doesn't really explain it either.  And the owner putting up with the shoddy work?

I don't get it.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 10:09:26 AM »

That looks like my laundry room....

Probably not an acceptable bond to the water pipe, they sell fancy bond clamps for that.

Running new wires could get spensive....

JR 

PS: Of course the million ohm question is there any pex or plastic plumbing involved.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »

That looks like my laundry room....

Probably not an acceptable bond to the water pipe, they sell fancy bond clamps for that.

Running new wires could get spensive....

JR 

PS: Of course the million ohm question is there any pex or plastic plumbing involved.

My guess is YES.  I'm sure the cheapest materials and methods were used, based on the way the electrical work was done.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Sokol

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »

I think they reused the existing underground wiring and just poured new pads and hung new pedestals. But I have very little information just yet. But I know it's an error x100.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.