ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Thinking of downsizing - ideas, thoughts, opinions?  (Read 8266 times)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Thinking of downsizing - ideas, thoughts, opinions?
« on: April 05, 2018, 05:20:57 PM »

Warning, longish post ahead...

I have been doing sound professionally on and off for a loooooong time.  I still moonlight for a local sound company and some local venues.  I've had the privilege of working with some Bands You Have Heard of and scores of local/regional folks.  In the last decade or so, I built up my own PA system(s) for use for smaller shows that I am personally connected to or aren't big enough for the sound company I work for to mess with.

Lately, my personal situation is leaving less room for moonlighting as a sound guy, so I am looking at my largish PA and wondering if it is time to downsize to a more manageable PA package better suited to my anticipated needs going forward.  I still run sound at my place of worship and at a couple of local venues, mostly using the venue's gear.  Since I parted ways with a local sports league, my gear does not get used as much.  It is also taking a lot of space in my rather small house.  Furthermore, my back is reminding me with some frequency that I am no longer 20-something and it does not enjoy lifting and toting heavy stuff so much any more.

So, did some thinking and this is what I see needing my PA for in the coming years:
- Sound for the 20-piece Big Band of which I am a member.  Most shows are indoors for < 300 people.  Sound quality and ease of setup trump raw volume here.
- A little extra gear in my friend's bar ( ~125 people) when his house monitor speakers cannot keep up or something breaks.
- 2-4 freelance DJ gigs per year, usually ballroom and swing dance events. < 300 people indoors
- Backup or secondary sound system for my house of worship - contemporary praise, < 200 people indoors.

I have plenty of mics, cables, snakes, stands, and so forth.  My main mixer for larger shows is an X32 rack.  If I need more than 16 channels, I rent a stage stage box from the sound co I work for.  I have a few smaller analog mixers for the single SOS, 1 mic, and a DJ stuff.

My main FOH and monitor system consists of the following:
- 2 PRX 718XLF
- 2 PRX 612
- 2 PRX 712
- 2 PRX 715
- 2 QSC HPR122i

My goals would be:
- Replace some or all of this gear with smaller and lighter gear.
- Maintain equal or better sound quality.
- Maintain equal or better sound quantity.
- A scalable system would be nice.

There is no rush to make this move; I would certainly like to "Buy once, cry once" on this project.  Ideally, most of the cost for new gear would come from the sale of the old gear, with some money saved up and added in.  Budget numbers are not firm, as this is very much in the "kicking ideas around" phase, but I don't think I can justify looking at the really high-dollar stuff.

My specific questions:
- Based on my needs, what system(s) do you suggest I look at?
- Are there any sub and stick systems from some of the big boys that may suit my needs?  I looked at the specs on the K-Array KR series, but their price tag is terrifying and the reviews seem rather meh for such a pricey bit of gear.
- I have heard the Nexo PS series and loved their sound.  I see some used Nexo gear around (mostly PS10 and LS600) for non-scary dollar amounts.  I know they require a dedicated processor as well, which factors into the cost.  Would this or a PS15 system be worth a look?
- Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance. 

Stephen Kirby

Re: Thinking of downsizing - ideas, thoughts, opinions?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 06:30:36 PM »

You have a lot of tops in a similar category.  How did things get that diffuse?  How do you decide when to use which?  I thinking one set of good tops for your 718s like DSR112s or some higher end thing if you want to spend Nexo/Meyer money.  And then some smaller monitors like DXR10s or things like MicroWedges, the Martin or Fulcrum coax's if you go upscale.  What you've got now is a bunch of mismatched good midrange gear.  There are a couple MI level upgrades out there but for the most part it will take serious money to get into LA, D&B or something with substantially more performance for the size.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 06:34:30 PM »

You have a lot of tops in a similar category.  How did things get that diffuse?  How do you decide when to use which?  I thinking one set of good tops for your 718s like DSR112s or some higher end thing if you want to spend Nexo/Meyer money.  And then some smaller monitors like DXR10s or things like MicroWedges, the Martin or Fulcrum coax's if you go upscale.  What you've got now is a bunch of mismatched good midrange gear.  There are a couple MI level upgrades out there but for the most part it will take serious money to get into LA, D&B or something with substantially more performance for the size.

My small, go to system is 4 Alto SXM coax wedges, DSR's and a x32-rack.  I got rid of my F150 last year and pickup up a Denali.  All of this and pair of 181's fit in the Denali.

Interesting in a pinch I got 2 181's, 2 153's 4 HPR 112's and an x32 rack, mics, stands and cables in the Acadia.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »

Long story on how the gear got acquired.  Most shows where I used the whole kit, the FOH was the 712s over the 718s, which works dynamite.  The 612s and 715s were on monitor duty.  For smaller sporting events, it was frequently just the 715s.  The HPRs are only occasionally used, as they are heavy as hell.

Oddly, I had a single DXR10 long ago and it was amazing.  Sold it and went JBL across the board, as a few of my customers really liked seeing the orange badge.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »

Not sure how to downsize from  1 12" over 1 18"sub...

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 11:49:03 PM »

Indeed, this is part of my dilemma.  So far, I don't see a path to smaller/lighter that doesn't sacrifice quality or cost a great deal.   I am hoping one of my peers here might have an idea or option I have not thought of.

The good news is that the gear I have works, is reliable, and paid for, so there is no great rush or impetus to change things other than an achy back and a very crowded music room.   8)

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 12:10:51 AM »

Stereo -> mono maybe?

Last weekend our gig only needed one top+sub. Narrow English style pub. I need more of these!

Tonight again is a single foh and single monitor, but acoustic in a wine bar, no big band :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 12:18:20 AM »

The little Altos are an odd pack but they're small, very light and get the job done for vocal monitoring in most situations.

On another thread someone mentioned a new version of the Yamaha DXS12 and 15.

A pair of SRX712s is about the smallest loud system I can think of.  Maybe over some of these DXS boxes.  Or DXR10s over the new subs.  Not up to the level of DSRs or SRXs but surprising for the size, and over subs might handle your gigs.  Some friends I go see all the time run just one in a small bar with two more for monitors, works as well in hearing the singing as much larger boxes I've heard in the same place.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »

Several years ago I was in a position where I thought I was going to need to down-size so I purchased a K-Array KR200S system, (2) 18" subs and (2) 32X2" columns. The weight of the entire active speaker system is less than 160 lbs and it fits in the back of a Prius along with a Qu-24 and room to spare. I downsized in size and weight but actually had an increase in performance. Other soundmen seem to discount the K-Arrays but just about every band and musician that has played through them has been impressed with their sound quality and performance. I also have a pair of Danley SM80 but I end up using the K-Arrays more often. They are much easier to deploy, sound great, and have a small impact on floor space and sight lines.
I would buy them again without hesitation. Like you said - buy once, cry once.
Here is a video of the K-Arrays that will give you an idea of their output. This is 2 systems in tandem, so in theory, 3db louder than a single system. The camera starts at about 100' back from the stage. The video was taken by a band members wife so I had no hand in the video. I believe it was a Go Pro camera.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0xEG2jh6DE

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »

Stereo -> mono maybe?

Last weekend our gig only needed one top+sub. Narrow English style pub. I need more of these!

Tonight again is a single foh and single monitor, but acoustic in a wine bar, no big band :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I did this for well over a decade. One 12 over a dual 18. Stereo is pointless and sonically destructive in a long narrow (the typical bar) room.

Never a complaint from the owners (smaller footprint = more tables) or the patrons (loud, clear, focused sound).

-Dennis
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:53:07 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 08:50:38 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.