ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Random question about something not audio related  (Read 8860 times)

Todd Friemuth

Re: Random question about something not audio related
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2018, 06:08:27 AM »

I finally had a chance to revisit this yesterday with a proper meter in hand. I tested the microwave circuit and let the meter stabilize for 30 minutes and I got 60.02 Hz. Moved the meter to the kitchen island circuit and let it stabilize for 30 minutes and got 60.00 Hz. Random outlets around the house all read 60.00, go back to the microwave, back to 60.02. Never did bother pulling the stove out to meter it's circuit.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 06:37:00 AM »

I finally had a chance to revisit this yesterday with a proper meter in hand. I tested the microwave circuit and let the meter stabilize for 30 minutes and I got 60.02 Hz. Moved the meter to the kitchen island circuit and let it stabilize for 30 minutes and got 60.00 Hz. Random outlets around the house all read 60.00, go back to the microwave, back to 60.02. Never did bother pulling the stove out to meter it's circuit.

At first blush I would say this is impossible, but perhaps there's something else going on that can cause both the clock and meter to run fast. As noted earlier, what if there was noise on the line that could be interpreted as the extra 0.02 Hz? Maybe something creating a 2 or 4 Hz noise pulse on that branch circuit is happening. 
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:41:19 AM by Mike Sokol »

Todd Friemuth

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 10:43:11 AM »

It did cross my mind that within this same period of time that I've been noticing this issue, that the electric company has been going around installing their "smart electric meters". Is it possible the smart meter could cause this?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »

It did cross my mind that within this same period of time that I've been noticing this issue, that the electric company has been going around installing their "smart electric meters". Is it possible the smart meter could cause this?

I have heard from HAM radio guys about "smart meter" throwing off tons of harmonics into their systems. This might be the cause of your problem but why it would just be on 1 circuit is beyond me. Maybe there is a cap going in your microwave that is causing the harmonics and is magically on the same circuit as your stove(here in South Africa the stove has to be on its own dedicated 30A circuit but not sure about there) and it's just throwing those two off.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 02:24:33 PM »

If you had a scope handy you might see the noise on the mains.

An old school mechanical motor clock could reveal whether it is frequency drift (unlikely) or noise (more likely).

I have used mains frequency for a time base a number of times over the decades. I always filtered it to reduce HF noise issues.

JR

PS: If this is a widespread problem your utility and/or microwave maker may know about it, of course if a new issue they may not have a solution and be ready to talk about it yet.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 06:35:56 PM »

This thread is going to need a sturgeon to get it out of the tank.

I can't fathom that, it is too deep for me. Did you say that on porpoise?

Somewhat on topic, a presenter I used to work with occasionally, used to say if you had more then one time piece you really didn't know what time it is. The digital clock in my car (part of the radio) keeps on gaining time. I have to keep resetting it or I might actually arrive somewhere on time.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »

I can't fathom that, it is too deep for me. Did you say that on porpoise?

Somewhat on topic, a presenter I used to work with occasionally, used to say if you had more then one time piece you really didn't know what time it is. The digital clock in my car (part of the radio) keeps on gaining time. I have to keep resetting it or I might actually arrive somewhere on time.

I get this, I lead a temporally challenged existence too.  It's amazing that your friends will actually start making accomodations for it after a period of time.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 09:15:41 PM »

I get this, I lead a temporally challenged existence too.  It's amazing that your friends will actually start making accomodations for it after a period of time.

My twin brother was always late for dinner, so we told him 6PM for a 6:30 dinner, and we always made it there 5 minutes early.

David Allred

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »

My twin brother was always late for dinner, so we told him 6PM for a 6:30 dinner, and we always made it there 5 minutes early.

You mean there are 2 of you?!   :)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »

You mean there are 2 of you?!   :)
I hope his name is Ike.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2018, 12:46:30 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.