ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: SDI cable suggestions?  (Read 7098 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
SDI cable suggestions?
« on: April 02, 2018, 01:51:49 PM »

I need about 125’ of SDI cable.

Much coax cable seems pretty stiff with annoying memory.
I need cable to deploy for a gig then coil after.
I expect it doesn’t have to be quite as limp as some XLR cables.

Since 100’ seems to be a standard length, would coupling a 100 & a 25 together be a problem?

Suggestions on cables and suppliers? I would like them pre terminated.

Thanks. Getting closer to my needed video setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
Re: SDI cable suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 03:30:32 PM »

Since 100’ seems to be a standard length, would coupling a 100 & a 25 together be a problem?

I've been very happy with Belden1694F.  It's probably as flexible as your'll find for a coax at that length if you want 3G-SDI bandwidth.  Belden's data sheet indicates that it should be good for 174 ft.@ 3G-SDI, 260 ft. @ 1.5G and 892 ft for SD-SDI widescreen (even longer for PAL and NTSC).

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »

I've been getting mine through Markertek. My heavier-duty HD-SDI cables are Canare L-5CFW, and I have some lighter ones (when appearance matters more than durability) that are Belden 1505F (although apparently there is now a better Belden model number for this use).

Both types want to be carefully over/undered, in fact the Belden will fight if you if you don't do it correctly. These are the cables I allow no other person to handle.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:57:55 PM »

Others have suggested good cable choices.  My only input is to avoid coupling two cables together, particularly at this distance.  Anything over 100’ and SDI tends get to get more finicky.  And BNC couplers introduce signal losses on top of being notorious failure points.

Another note.  Everything in an SDI signal path is going to be rated up to a certain number of Gs, including connectors.  It’s a bit like RF in this way.  So it pays to just buy good stuff to begin with.  Then when you end up using this cable with 12G 4K sometime in the future, it’ll still work...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »

Thanks for all the information.

So, I bought Belden 1694F from Markertek.

I presume that fiber is used for longer runs. At what length does coax stop being effective?

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 10:59:32 PM »

Thanks for all the information.

So, I bought Belden 1694F from Markertek.

I presume that fiber is used for longer runs. At what length does coax stop being effective?

Rule of thumb in the field is basically 200’. There are tons of variables of course, most important being video resolution and cable type. But in general if you’re going over 200 feet it’s easier and more reliable most times to just use fiber.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »

Since I have not seen either of these cables it is hard for me to choose. I know the 1694F is more flexible than the 1694A but is the “A” flexible enough to uncoil and lay on the floor for an event the coil back up after?
Markertek has the “A” in stock and can ship right away and is less expensive while they have to make up the “F” and will take a few weeks.

What say you?

Thank you

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »

Since I have not seen either of these cables it is hard for me to choose. I know the 1694F is more flexible than the 1694A but is the “A” flexible enough to uncoil and lay on the floor for an event the coil back up after?
Markertek has the “A” in stock and can ship right away and is less expensive while they have to make up the “F” and will take a few weeks.

What say you?

Thank you

1694A is fairly stiff, as it’s an install version. The F version is more flexible, but you sacrifice how long you can make your run.

We bought various pre-terminated lengths of Canare L-4.5CHWS from FullCompass and it been wonderful. I’d say it’s about 1/4” thick, but it coils like nice DMX cable, or rugged CATx.

Belden 1505F is great for shorter runs.

Pic attached comparing them to some Rapco-Horizon mic cable.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 05:55:22 PM »

1694A is fairly stiff, as it’s an install version. The F version is more flexible, but you sacrifice how long you can make your run.

We bought various pre-terminated lengths of Canare L-4.5CHWS from FullCompass and it been wonderful. I’d say it’s about 1/4” thick, but it coils like nice DMX cable, or rugged CATx.

Belden 1505F is great for shorter runs.

Pic attached comparing them to some Rapco-Horizon mic cable.

Thanks. I would like a 150’ run. Will the 1694F work for that length? It will be running from a switcher to a projector.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »

Thanks. I would like a 150’ run. Will the 1694F work for that length? It will be running from a switcher to a projector.
Belden lists 1694F for up to 174ft @ 3G-SDI resolution (1080p/60); 255ft for the 1694A.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 01:38:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.