ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Light stand base (not a tripod)  (Read 8696 times)

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Light stand base (not a tripod)
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:41:51 AM »

Anyone use a stand like this or similar for lighting?

The pic is from a pipe and drape catalog. 
Not planning on using it, but curious if something like it exists that is safe and effective
We use tripod stands right now.  When you try to put them up on a small stage, things get crowded quick.

Also wondered is there is an offset version of that stand base that you could set subs on to lock down
(The post would be close to one of the corners)

Thomas Bishop

Re: Light stand base (not a tripod)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:15:49 PM »

The industry standard is the Altman 50 lb base and 1.5" pipe.  What are you putting on it?

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:49:27 PM »

The industry standard is the Altman 50 lb base and 1.5" pipe.  What are you putting on it?

Some nights, all I put up is a Chauvet 4-Bar, but even with this small setup, the tripod gets in the way most nights. 
The biggest that I'm currently putting up is a 42" color bar and 2 movers that weigh 8-1/2 pounds each.
Not a lot of weight

That Altman base looks like a 22-1/2" diameter round mic stand base and has enough height that you can't set things on top of it.

Definitely a step in the right direction, but a flat base like I pictured seems like it would work better.
I could get them made easy enough - weld or bolt a pipe flange to a large plate.
Is there a reason not to go in this direction?

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »

Some nights, all I put up is a Chauvet 4-Bar, but even with this small setup, the tripod gets in the way most nights. 
The biggest that I'm currently putting up is a 42" color bar and 2 movers that weigh 8-1/2 pounds each.
Not a lot of weight

That Altman base looks like a 22-1/2" diameter round mic stand base and has enough height that you can't set things on top of it.

Definitely a step in the right direction, but a flat base like I pictured seems like it would work better.
I could get them made easy enough - weld or bolt a pipe flange to a large plate.
Is there a reason not to go in this direction?
You might want to look for circular cast-iron bases used for floor-standing fans.  I've got a couple I picked up decades ago from a surplus shop.  The center hole is already threaded for 1-1/2" conduit.

BUT .... it's up to you to determine whether or not it's safe.  And despite how heavy a cast iron base is (hope you don't mind transporting it!), the stability is more a function of diameter than weight of the base.  In that respect, a tripod is often more stable than a circular base (picture a tripod mic stand vs one with a smaller, circular, cast iron base).  A tripod is also guaranteed to not rock no matter how irregular the floor (it's a physics thing), whereas a circular base might wobble.

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 09:44:01 PM »

I use the bases in the link below for many things. I'm local to BML so I just pick them up, but they are also available on ebay. They work great with box truss or pipe. They come with a pipe adapter that bolts into any of the predrilled holes typically used for the truss. These will also allow you to do whatever offsets you may need with appropriate counterweight.

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAGE-LIGHTING-TOMCAT-12-x-12-TRUSS-STYLE-60-BASE-1-/230373142468?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a34f2fc4
Ray Cerwinski

Len Woelfel

• Chicago Lighting Design
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:56:49 AM »

I've been told that Altman doesn't make those anymore.  Still available used, since they last forever.  You can also buy SSRC, which is about 18" square, with a hole for a handle, and feet.  http://www.ssrconline.com/Products.htm look towards the bottom of the page.  A 10' pipe is available at your local hardware.  You want 1.5" inside diameter schedule 40. 

Thomas Bishop

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 03:17:08 PM »

I will second what Ray linked to.  I'm planning on picking up several of these the next time I need base plates.  Being able to put pipe AND truss on it is perfect.

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »

I will second what Ray linked to.  I'm planning on picking up several of these the next time I need base plates.  Being able to put pipe AND truss on it is perfect.

Just a heads up if you do place an order... they have smaller and larger bases available as well. I have a handful of their 30"x30" bases and am planning on picking up a number of the smaller 12"x12" (i think) bases for lekos and heavier instruments.
Ray Cerwinski

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.