ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion for MODs.. no not that... :-)  (Read 1846 times)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Suggestion for MODs.. no not that... :-)
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:01:32 pm »

I propose that prominent in all the forum sticky messages is the simple rules.

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, NO ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR.

On the subject of politics, I could suggest a short list of rules that would help steer discussions away from inflammatory impasses, but I won't because I don't expect much support. But please take my primary suggestion to heart. Since ad hominum is the behavior we are presumably trying to suppress by outlawing politics and religion, why not give members the benefit of the doubt that they can behave like professional adults, and plainly outlaw the bad behavior.  Instead we get vague or shifting direction of what is acceptable and not to discuss, based on what people can get away with posting. 
=====
Religion, is OK to practice but not OK to proselytize others or openly criticize others based on personal belief systems. There is no need to raise religion in any technical discussions. Or most others for that matter. 

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Suggestion for MODs.. no not that... :-)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:58:20 am »

Good idea, J.R., on the no abusive behavior, etc.

Aside from that, forum policy remains unchanged.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 12:25:24 pm »

There is no need to raise religion in any technical discussions. Or most others for that matter.
Well, the Church Sound and H.O.W. AV forums might be exceptions as there can be legitimate religion related issues and discussions there.  ;)

By the way, when did the verification "feature" for posting get added?  I hate those things, I understand the purpose but it always comes across as though the assumption is that all posters are bots until they can prove otherwise, which is not very welcoming.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:50:39 pm »

Well, the Church Sound and H.O.W. AV forums might be exceptions as there can be legitimate religion related issues and discussions there.  ;)

By the way, when did the verification "feature" for posting get added?  I hate those things, I understand the purpose but it always comes across as though the assumption is that all posters are bots until they can prove otherwise, which is not very welcoming.

It would be far more useful to catch bots at registration.  I will see about that.

Chad?
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Jeff Hague

• Richmond Pro Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:55 pm »

It would be far more useful to catch bots at registration.  I will see about that.

Chad?

Please see what you can do. Kapchas are real annoying, especially with the "font" this forum is using. Ive been on the PSW forums for quite a while and I dont think Ive ever seen ay spam so whats the point?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 09:42:21 pm »

I moderate on a different  forum and without human verification or something like Kapchas, to prevent spammers from getting accts the forum gets inundated with spambots.

Once a user account is verified there should be no need to verify further just to post.

I expect a site like this to be a very attractive target to spambots. If you don't see them, that just means the admin is doing their job.

JR
Don't tune your drums half-ass. Listen to what a properly "cleared" drum sounds like.   http://circularscience.com/

Dominick Costanzo

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 09:38:22 pm »

Require all posters to register with their full real names
Dominick Costanzo

David Buckley

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:30 pm »

SMF has the ability to ask questions at registration time, and with the default of "1 question" you get the squiggly letters.  But up it to two (or more!) and you can specify a pool of textual questions and answers.  Bots don't get on well with them...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:44:30 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 23 queries.