ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do I need for my PA system next?  (Read 7898 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: What do I need for my PA system next?
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »

I entirely agree with the gate option. Honestly it's the cleanest way to fix the problem, also the cheapest.

A note on aux fed subs, I wouldn't necessarily run aux fed but mono fed that is linked to the main L&R output.(see note above about crossover points, this is an amazing compromise) Aux fed subs would only work correctly if your subs are correctly phase aligned with the mains and the mains are running full range so there will be no crossover point to deal with, in that situation the kick in your chest from the kick and bass should be dialled in with the aux and the actual tone should be dialled in with the eq. This should also help with the bad EQ techniques on boosting a ton of low end on the kick channel.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 02:05:40 PM »

Unless I have misunderstood the OP's circumstances, he doesn't have a fixed venue in which he performs. While acoustic treatment of a room is the best solution, I suspect that it isn't very practical to travel from place to place with enough pipe and heavy drape to help treat whatever venue he finds himself in.

I know what you mean and that’s why I added the bit about hiring it to see it’s effectiveness.

You will have to excuse me as my day job is acoustic consultancy and I know that no amount of gear is going to solve an inappropriate or bad venue, though I appreciate that there are tools that can help such as graphics and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 11:10:38 PM »

Unless I have misunderstood the OP's circumstances, he doesn't have a fixed venue in which he performs. While acoustic treatment of a room is the best solution, I suspect that it isn't very practical to travel from place to place with enough pipe and heavy drape to help treat whatever venue he finds himself in.

If I'm not mistaken on the last few Barbra Streisand tours they carried acoustical room treatment for the venues.

I guess if budget is not a concern you can carry a semi or two of room treatment!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 12:22:02 AM »

If I'm not mistaken on the last few Barbra Streisand tours they carried acoustical room treatment for the venues.

I guess if budget is not a concern you can carry a semi or two of room treatment!!

One tour for an act I wont name... 2 53ft trailers of dressing room furnishings and decor for name artist and band.  Catering was by Dega and they tricked out the dining room, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:55 AM »

One tour for an act I wont name... 2 53ft trailers of dressing room furnishings and decor for name artist and band.  Catering was by Dega and they tricked out the dining room, too.
And people wonder why ticket prices are so damn high...... :'(
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »

It sounds like you play in the band and also run sound - if so, I'd work to make your setup as simple as possible. Ditch your analog mixer and get a digital one with parametric EQ - way easier to sculpt sounds, do real HPF filtering, and have room EQ set.

As for aux subs, I tried it for a while, but when running sound while playing, it's another thing to remember. Better to have just the channel fader to worry about and use digital EQ on your new board to HPF what doesn't need to be in the sub.

Less thinking, more playing. I even sold off the 5 Audix tom mics I had bought as I realized 2 OH mics (hi-hat, over the shoulder) was fine and less mixing for me to worry about, and it still sounded great.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2018, 11:58:12 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.