ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Dante Multitracking Issues  (Read 13200 times)

Derek Toews

Dante Multitracking Issues
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »

I've tried troubleshooting this with Audinate multiple times but we haven't been able to figure out what's going on so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve got a Cisco SG300 (Audinate’s recommended switch) and I went through all the settings per the Yamaha manual so it’s setup properly (Been over all kinds of other settings beyond Yamaha’s manual with Audinate).

Running 2 Yamaha CL5’s, 2 RIO’s, 3 ULXD units, X32 rack, and some computers with DVS. Everything is updated to latest Dante firmware, latest DVS software, etc.

- Basically the problem is that the computers on the network will get glitches of high latency (above 20ms) but it’s only for a split second, and it only happens every once in a while (very random). And depending on how much data is being received by the computer depends on how much of a latency glitch there will be. (Only 5 multicast flows to a computer - it gets about 6-8 msec of latency; 20 multicast flows - 20+ msec of latency).

When multi tracking and it gets a latency “glitch" - it causes the computer to lose sync (even though Dante doesn’t show any sync errors or packet errors). When it loses sync, the multitrack also glitches pretty bad till it sync's up again (only a few seconds typically). Occasionally a computer will even act as if it was kicked off the Dante network (it will still receive flows from all the other computers on the network - but it stops receiving flows from Consoles / RIO’s / ULXDs). DVS shows it's still working though and there's no errors anywhere.

I've swapped all ethernet cables to computers, RIOs, CL5's. Purchased another Cisco SG300 switch. Everything is on a redundant network and both switches are the same Cisco SG300-28.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Dante Multitracking Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »

What else is on the neywork? I’m talking about non-dante stuff. Wireless AP’s, computers, other switches, fiber hops, etc.

We just went throught something similar and it was our new WAP’s that were installed. They couldn’t deal with the multicast traffic and basically shut down the network.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Derek Toews

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »

Nothing else is on the network - its all a completely closed Dante network. I’ve tried hooking it into our main network on a separate VLan and Meraki switches but had the same issue.

What else is on the neywork? I’m talking about non-dante stuff. Wireless AP’s, computers, other switches, fiber hops, etc.

We just went throught something similar and it was our new WAP’s that were installed. They couldn’t deal with the multicast traffic and basically shut down the network.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »

In dante controller is there a device or two that are checked as “preferred clock master”?

I know Dante is good about doing this itself, but I still want a console to be the clock master. If nothing else, I know the console has a pretty robist power supply and shouldn’t be effected by power anomalies. 
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:04:15 PM »

I've tried troubleshooting this with Audinate multiple times but we haven't been able to figure out what's going on so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I’ve got a Cisco SG300 (Audinate’s recommended switch) and I went through all the settings per the Yamaha manual so it’s setup properly (Been over all kinds of other settings beyond Yamaha’s manual with Audinate).

Running 2 Yamaha CL5’s, 2 RIO’s, 3 ULXD units, X32 rack, and some computers with DVS. Everything is updated to latest Dante firmware, latest DVS software, etc.

- Basically the problem is that the computers on the network will get glitches of high latency (above 20ms) but it’s only for a split second, and it only happens every once in a while (very random). And depending on how much data is being received by the computer depends on how much of a latency glitch there will be. (Only 5 multicast flows to a computer - it gets about 6-8 msec of latency; 20 multicast flows - 20+ msec of latency).

When multi tracking and it gets a latency “glitch" - it causes the computer to lose sync (even though Dante doesn’t show any sync errors or packet errors). When it loses sync, the multitrack also glitches pretty bad till it sync's up again (only a few seconds typically). Occasionally a computer will even act as if it was kicked off the Dante network (it will still receive flows from all the other computers on the network - but it stops receiving flows from Consoles / RIO’s / ULXDs). DVS shows it's still working though and there's no errors anywhere.

I've swapped all ethernet cables to computers, RIOs, CL5's. Purchased another Cisco SG300 switch. Everything is on a redundant network and both switches are the same Cisco SG300-28.

I certainly can not be sure if this is your problem but I wanted to make people aware.

There were SG300's that required a Cisco update or mod of some type due to a problem that caused glitching with QLan from QSYS (the reason the SG300 was not approved by QSC).  This glitch did not go back to the beggining of Yamaha's recommendating the SG300 series but started to occur in some units just a few years ago.  Cisco was unable or unwilling to put out any information on a version/revision/lot number, etc., to help identify potential problem units but they did accept the problem units back and performed some type of update or service that corrected the problem.  This was done by Cisco on a unit by unit basis. 

I do not know if this glitch also affected Dante traffic.  That said, I have not had an SG300 that has exhibited this problem.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »

I certainly can not be sure if this is your problem but I wanted to make people aware.

There were SG300's that required a Cisco update or mod of some type due to a problem that caused glitching with QLan from QSYS (the reason the SG300 was not approved by QSC).  This glitch did not go back to the beggining of Yamaha's recommendating the SG300 series but started to occur in some units just a few years ago.  Cisco was unable or unwilling to put out any information on a version/revision/lot number, etc., to help identify potential problem units but they did accept the problem units back and performed some type of update or service that corrected the problem.  This was done by Cisco on a unit by unit basis. 

I do not know if this glitch also affected Dante traffic.  That said, I have not had an SG300 that has exhibited this problem.

Lee

The issues with the SG-300 and Q-lan were limited to the Rev B units, which occurred at temperature extremes.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:32:07 PM »

The issues with the SG-300 and Q-lan were limited to the Rev B units, which occurred at temperature extremes.

Thanks David!
I could not get that info out of folks at Cisco or QSC.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »

Have you tried a different computer?  Some computers just don't get along with DVS.  My x230's work great, about 75% of the time.  The other 25% of the time I need to reboot (after a fresh boot) just to get clear audio.   That said my mac mini has been flawless for years.

You didn't say what type of computer you are using...but there is always this...
Tune Windows PC for Best Audio Performance

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 04:38:25 PM »

And have you tried to isolate the issue by removing devices one after eachother?

If dvs is on mac you need to check your network settings.

Derek Toews

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

That is one thing I haven’t tried to do but I probably should and see if I come up with anything. To answer some of the other questions -
When I was troubleshooting with Audinate, they suggested putting one CL5 as preferred Master and Sync to External and set that CL5 to internal sync - not Dante. Hasn’t helped.

And to answer David - I’ve tried multitracking on at least 5 different computers (Mac Mini, IMac, MacBook Pro - all fully upgraded new machines) and have the same issues on all of them. Which makes me think it can’t be a computer thing.

What network settings (since all we use are Macs) are you referring to?

And have you tried to isolate the issue by removing devices one after eachother?

If dvs is on mac you need to check your network settings.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 25 queries.