ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Church sound media techs FB group  (Read 5473 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Church sound media techs FB group
« on: March 29, 2018, 02:41:09 PM »

Good grief there's a high noise to signal ratio there.  PSW is imperfect, but geez, at least the crazies are outnumbered here.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Church sound media techs FB group
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 04:02:01 PM »

Well of course a FB (feed back) group will be noisy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:38:28 PM »

Good grief there's a high noise to signal ratio there.  PSW is imperfect, but geez, at least the crazies are outnumbered here.

There is a lot of noise but also a lot of signal.  I have noticed a large move from all forums to Facebook. I don't know why because once something posted on face book is a few days old it is almost impossible to find.

I prefer forums but some are getting lonely

Not to Code

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 02:06:47 PM »

That's why I avoid it.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 11:39:53 AM »

There is a lot of noise but also a lot of signal.  I have noticed a large move from all forums to Facebook. I don't know why because once something posted on face book is a few days old it is almost impossible to find.

I prefer forums but some are getting lonely
Agreed.  You're likely to get 10 answers in 5 minutes, but good luck finding it again, and 6 out of the 10 answers are probably bad.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »

Agreed.  You're likely to get 10 answers in 5 minutes, but good luck finding it again, and 6 out of the 10 answers are probably bad.

And if you're trying to learn, searching FB for questions that might have the answer you need is about impossible.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:17:40 PM »

I think my pet peeve on there is the sheer volume of people that will go to FB to ask a question that would be answered in seconds by a google search.  And generally far more accurately.  I genuinely do not understand how, in this miraculous age of information, people still tend to prefer to "ask their friends" over actual, reasonable [and now CRAZY EASY] research.

I tried to be the "voice of correction" for a while, but soon realized that without waving my resume' around like some kind of a-hole before every comment i made, i just faded into the background noise. 

Now i just do a lot of smh....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »

I think my pet peeve on there is the sheer volume of people that will go to FB to ask a question that would be answered in seconds by a google search.  And generally far more accurately.  I genuinely do not understand how, in this miraculous age of information, people still tend to prefer to "ask their friends" over actual, reasonable [and now CRAZY EASY] research.

I tried to be the "voice of correction" for a while, but soon realized that without waving my resume' around like some kind of a-hole before every comment i made, i just faded into the background noise. 

Now i just do a lot of smh....
I think the group is like 40,000 people or something ridiculous like that, now.  I don't know when the tipping point was, but 40K people isn't manageable.

I'm most frustrated when folks have no sense of reasonability in what they propose.  The situation I started this thread about was a person who was getting hum in their speakers even with everything on the board muted.  Multiple people were telling him to rewire the building so that audio was all fed from the same panel (which as far as I could tell was probably already the case due to it being a small building), even though some basic troubleshooting and lifting a couple shields was the right solution, not a $5,000 - $50,000 electrical infrastructure project.  The other common situation is "We need a new mixer for our small church.  Our budget is $2000."  Answers invariably include various Digico options.  ::)

Most of my work is with churches whose budgets are a few thousand a year, not a few hundred thousand a year, and misinformation like the above translates directly into wasted money for the church, sometimes in crippling fashion.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 10:56:42 AM »

TJ, I feel you.

I just try to be helpful where possible. I also try to learn from some of the more educated responses.

Like JR's signature,
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.

There was even a thread on CSMT about how to fix the group. The consensus was more admins & posts have to be 'approved.' I don't think it helps the comments though.

Basically FB is a classic case of the Dunning-Kruger effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
http://www.bumc.bu.edu/facdev-medicine/files/2012/03/Dreyfus-skill-level.pdf
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 05:39:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 25 queries.