ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45  (Read 7424 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 12:12:46 PM »

Well, curiosity killed the cat.
Needing something, I took a chance and ordered the cheaper one available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lightning-Ethernet-Adapter-Internet/dp/B075TYL5J6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522345687&sr=8-6&keywords=lightning+to+rj45

I just finished hooking it up between my iPad PRO and my Q-Pac directly with preset IP and Subnet, and voila!  It works.  No USB hub. No ethernet switch. No POE. Just a cable to jump from the adapter's output jack to the QU-SB. 

It also works through an ethernet switch, DHCP enabled, for those of us that also have a switch in addition to a router/access point like an Apple Airport. 

I would assume this will hold true for all the QU series.  I would further assume that it would work with any mixer able to use manual addressing, or in combination with a device that can act as a DHCP server. YMMV. Amazon has a liberal return policy just in case.

Power for the device comes from the iPad alone.  No option to use the Lightning port for anything else i.e., Charging while in use. 

Note: IOS-10 or above only.
Simplify, simplify, simplify.

frank

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »

Needing something, I took a chance and ordered the cheaper one available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lightning-Ethernet-Adapter-Internet/dp/B075TYL5J6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522345687&sr=8-6&keywords=lightning+to+rj45

I just finished hooking it up between my iPad PRO and my Q-Pac directly with preset IP and Subnet, and voila!  It works.  No USB hub. No ethernet switch. No POE. Just a cable to jump from the adapter's output jack to the QU-SB. 

It also works through an ethernet switch, DHCP enabled, for those of us that also have a switch in addition to a router/access point like an Apple Airport. 

I would assume this will hold true for all the QU series.  I would further assume that it would work with any mixer able to use manual addressing, or in combination with a device that can act as a DHCP server. YMMV. Amazon has a liberal return policy just in case.

Power for the device comes from the iPad alone.  No option to use the Lightning port for anything else i.e., Charging while in use. 

frank

Hmm, wonder if it will work with the SQ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 12:31:20 PM »

frank

On the iPad, how does it show up? Do you get a new line item along with WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular data etc?

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

frank kayser

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »

On the iPad, how does it show up? Do you get a new line item along with WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular data etc?

Hi Rob,

Yes.  A new line pops up for Ethernet, then a screen with one choice, (USB 10-100 Lan) and then drill downs to automatic, manual, bootp where depending on one's choice, the various TCP/IP settings can be input.

Funny thing, the Ethernet screen being labeled USB.  Does not seem to bother the mixer, switch or router/AP.

I can't imagine (well, I guess I can) why it would not work with the SQ.  If I were closer, I'd bring it over to test. 

frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 03:22:54 PM »

frank

As soon as I read this Frank, I tried again - this time with my QU16 - I used my QU-PAC last time and also making sure to use my iPad Pro. Still no connection without the powered hub. I get that same message "Not enough power" appearing on my iPad - So.... not sure what is going on there. I wonder if it is down to the lightning/camera adaptor cables I am using.
Anyway - good news that you were successful!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 06:14:50 PM »

As soon as I read this Frank, I tried again - this time with my QU16 - I used my QU-PAC last time and also making sure to use my iPad Pro. Still no connection without the powered hub. I get that same message "Not enough power" appearing on my iPad - So.... not sure what is going on there. I wonder if it is down to the lightning/camera adaptor cables I am using.
Anyway - good news that you were successful!
Hi Debbie,
Do you have any wired ethernet at the house?  Maybe you could try to plug the iPad/ethernet rig (without the powered USB hub) into an unused port to see if it connects.  If it does, I have no answer.  If it doesn't, then your camera connector module is drawing more current than it should. Then it is either the connector or one of the cables that night have some high resistance.(I assume the camera connector was designed to run off iPad power, and not rely on any USB power from the camera).
Of course, it matters not as with the powered USB hub, all is well.
Or if you want to simplify, spring for the $33 and get the connector.  Don't you just love having options?
Off to work!
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 06:43:43 PM »

Hi Debbie,
Do you have any wired ethernet at the house?  Maybe you could try to plug the iPad/ethernet rig (without the powered USB hub) into an unused port to see if it connects.  If it does, I have no answer.  If it doesn't, then your camera connector module is drawing more current than it should. Then it is either the connector or one of the cables that night have some high resistance.(I assume the camera connector was designed to run off iPad power, and not rely on any USB power from the camera).
Of course, it matters not as with the powered USB hub, all is well.
Or if you want to simplify, spring for the $33 and get the connector.  Don't you just love having options?
Off to work!
frank

Bingo. I just tried connecting to my home router and .... yes it is the  connector that is drawing too much power and was my suspicion. Good way to check Frank - Thanks. So.......maybe I should get one of these too and throw my piece of poop away..... (I purchased it as an Apple product but I don't believe it is -I should have known for the price I paid  ::))
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »

Bingo. I just tried connecting to my home router and .... yes it is the  connector that is drawing too much power and was my suspicion. Good way to check Frank - Thanks. So.......maybe I should get one of these too and throw my piece of poop away..... (I purchased it as an Apple product but I don't believe it is -I should have known for the price I paid  ::) )
Glad the test worked.  Mystery solved. 
"... and throw my piece of poop away"

Consider, your hard-wire rig is working, regardless of its pitfalls.  You already own all the pieces.  I'm assuming this, or any hard-wire iPad kit is more an "emergency" use item, no?  Looking at it in those terms, why not keep it?
Of course, lots of plugs, multiple points of failure.  Time to set up, disassemble, and store. More pieces to get away from you. New is simple, and shouldn't break the bank.

Surely, not a "must have NOW" item.

Unfortunately, we missed a grand opportunity - a new adapter could have been a special treat in your Easter Basket.  Birthday gift?  Stocking stuffer at Christmas?  I got it! A reward for a job well done!  Hubby will be sure to agree after your very next job.

frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2018, 12:36:56 AM »

Glad the test worked.  Mystery solved. 
"... and throw my piece of poop away"

Consider, your hard-wire rig is working, regardless of its pitfalls.  You already own all the pieces.  I'm assuming this, or any hard-wire iPad kit is more an "emergency" use item, no?  Looking at it in those terms, why not keep it?
Of course, lots of plugs, multiple points of failure.  Time to set up, disassemble, and store. More pieces to get away from you. New is simple, and shouldn't break the bank.

Surely, not a "must have NOW" item.

Unfortunately, we missed a grand opportunity - a new adapter could have been a special treat in your Easter Basket.  Birthday gift?  Stocking stuffer at Christmas?  I got it! A reward for a job well done!  Hubby will be sure to agree after your very next job.

frank

Yes - only emergency use. I've not had to use it yet. The one cable connected to a CAT5 cable would be nice and easy but as you say, it's not something I really NEED... maybe I'll put it on my Amazon wish list for when someone wants to treat me.....LOL

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 01:36:39 AM »

Yes - only emergency use. I've not had to use it yet. The one cable connected to a CAT5 cable would be nice and easy but as you say, it's not something I really NEED... maybe I'll put it on my Amazon wish list for when someone wants to treat me.....LOL

The USB port on the iPad has insufficient power to meet Ethernet specifications.  Even the newest chipsets such as the Davicom DM9601 draw almost 200ma.  While data on the Lightning connector is hard to come by as Apple's MSI program NDA includes death/castration and eternal damnation as remedies one can assume that it can't even come close to sourcing that much current.

Underpowering the Ethernet chip is going to lead to stability problems. 

Without lab gear it would be hard to test the reliability of the device.  External USB power packs are a good way to have an Ethernet port on a tablet and stay untethered.  This is how I powered my USB audio adapter before I sprung for an iPad measurement mic.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2018, 01:36:39 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.