ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45  (Read 4088 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 11:01:50 am »

The USB port on the iPad has insufficient power to meet Ethernet specifications.  Even the newest chipsets such as the Davicom DM9601 draw almost 200ma.  While data on the Lightning connector is hard to come by as Apple's MSI program NDA includes death/castration and eternal damnation as remedies one can assume that it can't even come close to sourcing that much current.

Underpowering the Ethernet chip is going to lead to stability problems. 

Without lab gear it would be hard to test the reliability of the device.  External USB power packs are a good way to have an Ethernet port on a tablet and stay untethered.  This is how I powered my USB audio adapter before I sprung for an iPad measurement mic.

Scott - are you suggesting, I use the powered hub anyway if I go hard wired -to avoid stability issues and that using cables without the hub might cause problems?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2018, 01:37:02 am »

Scott - are you suggesting, I use the powered hub anyway if I go hard wired -to avoid stability issues and that using cables without the hub might cause problems?
Debbie, Hi yes that's exactly what I am saying.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 10:28:47 am »

Debbie, Hi yes that's exactly what I am saying.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

OK... so in that case this lightning to ethernet cable is unnecessary because I have to split the lightning > USB female and USB male >ethernet cables that I already have to put the powered hub in between them anyway.
As mine works and is only a back-up, I'll stick to what I have.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 05:00:30 pm »

OK... so in that case this lightning to ethernet cable is unnecessary because I have to split the lightning > USB female and USB male >ethernet cables that I already have to put the powered hub in between them anyway.
As mine works and is only a back-up, I'll stick to what I have.
Besides what Scott said, why replace something that is working and paid for?  According to Scott, it's a better setup, anyway.  Done and done.
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »

Besides what Scott said, why replace something that is working and paid for?  According to Scott, it's a better setup, anyway.  Done and done.
frank

Yes Frank and that is the other reason to stick with what I have. If I was using it even once in a while, having a simplified version of cabling and losing the powered hub would be nice but it stays in my bag pretty much and so as back up it makes perfect sense to stay as is....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 05:13:18 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 24 queries.