ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45  (Read 4092 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45
« on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »

I've read and have had my own fears about losing WiFi connection between the iPad and mixer, especially now that I'm using rack-mount only.

So I stumbled across an Amazon offering of a "direct" Lightning to RJ45 with the appropriate electronics.

I've seen the camera kit->USB->USB-to-Ethernet patch.

These appear to be plug and play.
So the amazon version:
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lightning-Ethernet-Adapter-Internet/dp/B075TYL5J6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522345687&sr=8-6&keywords=lightning+to+rj45

and a more expensive US designed and built from Redpark
https://redpark.myshopify.com/products/ethernet-cable-l5-net

So, does anyone have any experience with either of these?  Similar products?  Working well?
POS?

I like the bulk of the electronics firmly part of the RJ45 connector rather than in-line as the Redpark product does.  The weight and bulk so close to the lightning connector makes me nervous. 

frank

Art Nadelman

Re: Bypassing WiFi - anyone try cable from Lightning to RJ45
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 02:02:16 pm »

I haven't see those, but they're very cool!  Might just have to buy one, myself.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 02:46:09 pm »

I've read and have had my own fears about losing WiFi connection between the iPad and mixer, especially now that I'm using rack-mount only.

So I stumbled across an Amazon offering of a "direct" Lightning to RJ45 with the appropriate electronics.

I've seen the camera kit->USB->USB-to-Ethernet patch.

These appear to be plug and play.
So the amazon version:
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Lightning-Ethernet-Adapter-Internet/dp/B075TYL5J6/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1522345687&sr=8-6&keywords=lightning+to+rj45

and a more expensive US designed and built from Redpark
https://redpark.myshopify.com/products/ethernet-cable-l5-net

So, does anyone have any experience with either of these?  Similar products?  Working well?
POS?

I like the bulk of the electronics firmly part of the RJ45 connector rather than in-line as the Redpark product does.  The weight and bulk so close to the lightning connector makes me nervous. 

frank

The redpark works great.  App used must specifically support it, its not general OS level.  Luminair works great with it.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 03:02:27 pm »

I thought this looked interesting. However, I have the separate camera >USB adaptor into the USB>Ethernet adaptor and I can only get connection if I put a powered hub in between.
It appears I cannot go direct to my QU series mixers - I have tried. The device tells me there is not enough power.....So this cable would not work for me as the hub goes in between the 2 adaptor cables anyway.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John L Nobile

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:29:13 pm »

We have some USB to RJ45 adapters around the office that work just fine. They're necessary on laptops that are too thin for an RJ45 connector. Lighting ones should work fine.

frank kayser

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 04:35:26 pm »

I thought this looked interesting. However, I have the separate camera >USB adaptor into the USB>Ethernet adaptor and I can only get connection if I put a powered hub in between.
It appears I cannot go direct to my QU series mixers - I have tried. The device tells me there is not enough power.....So this cable would not work for me as the hub goes in between the 2 adaptor cables anyway.

Hmmm... I'm working with the QU-PAC (Thanks for the info, Debbie!) and a QU-SB.

Does your rig work on any other mixer than the QU series?  Since the iPad is powering your device string, and not the RJ45 from the mixer, it would seem the problem should be mixer independent.

The other thing is since there is but one protocol translation with these direct adapters, bypassing USB, maybe it would be less power hungry.

frank

frank kayser

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 04:52:54 pm »

The redpark works great.  App used must specifically support it, its not general OS level.  Luminair works great with it.

Thanks, Erik
Redpark's first version of the adapter talks about some compatibility issues as Redpark did not know of an API to work directly with the IP stack - so they ran a second stack - which gave them the unique ability to run both WiFi and cable connection simultaneously.  And yes, I was very surprised to see Luminaire on the list of supported apps on the Redpark V1 cable.

Their new version seems to have circumvented that issue and there are no more warnings about incompatible apps - also requires IOS10 and above - also a change from the old model cable.  Maybe Apple has opened some additional APIs in these later versions of IOS.

We have some USB to RJ45 adapters around the office that work just fine. They're necessary on laptops that are too thin for an RJ45 connector. Lighting ones should work fine.

Thanks, John
Something in the camera connector to Lightning must do some other conversion, as lightning cables already have a USB connector on the end, so while it has some compatability with USB, it wouldn't plug directly into a USB to RJ45 adapter.  These seem to have captured the magic sauce between what is in the Lightning connector and the camera connector kit.

frank

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:03:40 pm »

Frank,

I have yet to try it, however Ive read up on the concept a lot.

The Lightning adapter recommended is the Apple model mk0w2am/a.

So long as you supply the adapter with power, its supposed to work.

I like the Anker USB3.0 Ethernet adapters, personally.

Ethernet capability has been built-in natively to iOS since v10, I think. It only appears, however, when you actually have a hardwired connection.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 05:21:42 pm »

Hmmm... I'm working with the QU-PAC (Thanks for the info, Debbie!) and a QU-SB.

Does your rig work on any other mixer than the QU series?  Since the iPad is powering your device string, and not the RJ45 from the mixer, it would seem the problem should be mixer independent.

The other thing is since there is but one protocol translation with these direct adapters, bypassing USB, maybe it would be less power hungry.

frank

Well .... just for you Frank I thought I'd try out my XR18 to see if it worked without the powered hub but unfortunately I can't get it to work at all!!.... the iPad does not see the XR unless I switch to wi-fi..mmm

Gonna try my Android tablet instead.

edit : as I typed this I realized the Android tablet isn't lightning cable so can't try that

edit II : So I get the same thing if I try the XR18 without the hub - same message.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:24:44 pm by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 05:33:03 pm »

Apple tech notes that a Powered Ethernet is required to use these adapters. 

Powered USB Hub Buy (It can be any cheap hub, though. Just make sure its powered.)

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B01MRO4M73/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1522532257&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=powered+ethernet+switch.&psc=1

So it will need to show POE You can use your current favorite router and add the netgear switch to get the POE.  this should also work with the apple routers also.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:38:35 pm by Jerome Malsack »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 05:33:03 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.