ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Load Bank  (Read 11973 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: New Load Bank
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »

Thanks.... You will be the last one to go.

"It's a cook book!"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 07:20:15 PM »

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 08:38:23 PM »

Mike Sokol

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:23 PM »

Used my load bank in battle today and ran a really interesting test where I reversed the neutral and ground lines to test the EGC’s ability to sink 45 amps of fault current. And I was able to find that it opened up after 1 minute of heating, but then slowly returned to continuity once it cooled down in 5 minutes. You can’t get those kinds of results from an impulse test. You need steady state current.

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2018, 04:01:50 AM »

Used my load bank in battle today and ran a really interesting test where I reversed the neutral and ground lines to test the EGC’s ability to sink 45 amps of fault current. And I was able to find that it opened up after 1 minute of heating, but then slowly returned to continuity once it cooled down in 5 minutes. You can’t get those kinds of results from an impulse test. You need steady state current.
4 Queries:  What gauge and material was the EGC?
How and where did it fuse or open?
What gauge was it at its narrowest point after it had cooled and regained conduction? 
Where would it fuse, and at what current, on a subsequent test?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Mike Sokol

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:12 PM »

4 Queries:  What gauge and material was the EGC?
How and where did it fuse or open?
What gauge was it at its narrowest point after it had cooled and regained conduction? 
Where would it fuse, and at what current, on a subsequent test?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I can't go into a lot of detail just yet, but this was an 8-gauge copper wire that was wire nutted onto a 12-gauge copper wire, and was then terminated in a standard bus bar in a service panel. I'll fill you all in on more details once I'm allowed, but this was interesting because an Ideal SureTest Analyzer showed the EGC impedance as perfect at around 0.5 ohms, but my Load-Bank test revealed a completely different failure mode I didn't predict. And there were several others witnessing it, so it's fully documented.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 10:32:03 AM by Mike Sokol »

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 01:56:37 AM »

I can't go into a lot of detail due to a pending litigation, but this was an 8-gauge copper wire that was wire nutted onto a 12-gauge copper wire that was buried underground, and was then terminated in a standard bus bar in a service panel.
I'll fill you all in on more details once I'm allowed, but this was interesting because an Ideal SureTest Analyzer showed the EGC impedance as perfect, but my Load-Bank test revealed a completely different failure mode I didn't predict. And there were several other EE's witnessing it, so it's fully documented.

Speculating here... it sounds like a case of an unforeseen problem in a design, and you were called to figure out what happened (kind of a failure analysis thing). Since there is "pending litigation" then maybe one party is trying to prove that the other party was negligent -- that "they should have known" this could happen. But maybe it couldn't have been predicted because the exact scenario involved failure modes that didn't fit the existing models.

That's just a guess. Maybe I'm out-of-turn here.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 04:59:56 AM »

Speculating here... it sounds like a case of an unforeseen problem in a design, and you were called to figure out what happened (kind of a failure analysis thing). Since there is "pending litigation" then maybe one party is trying to prove that the other party was negligent -- that "they should have known" this could happen. But maybe it couldn't have been predicted because the exact scenario involved failure modes that didn't fit the existing models.

That's just a guess. Maybe I'm out-of-turn here.
I can’t say any more right now. Maybe in 6 months. But I’ll draw up a hypothetical test situation next week. What I did was really simple but very easy to explain once you see it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 04:59:56 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.