ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground this....  (Read 11828 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Ground this....
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 12:24:05 PM »

It is sad that this is so common in RV parks given that a RV connected to power has inherent risks already that are not present in a fixed building. Metal skin touched all the time including every time you open the door. sitting on rubber tires. Wiring subject to vibration. 

Mike Sokol seems to be taking the best possible route toward solving the problem.   

1.  Educate the RV owners them selves to know what is safe, know how to test for it, know how to protect them selves from sketchy hook ups and know that it is important for them to point out problems.

2.  Push RV parks to put in good electrical service.

Bottom line.  Your safety is your responsibility.

One of the client reps I work with just sold his RV park.  He told me electrical service and plumbing were his biggest problems, both from a park maintenance standpoint and the "crap some folks bring into the park."  I'm pretty sure he's had 'reflected hot skin' grounding problems with client camping units.  I don't want to envision the plumbing issues... ;)

Specifically addressing point #2 - non-compliant businesses are either ignorant or willfully disregarding life safety issues.  Ignorance can be educated but willful disregard requires the Big Stick of law and regulation enforcement.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:44 PM »

It seems to me that a GFCI device in the RV power inlet should be equally protective. Any current leaking from a hot skin condition should trip and disconnect.

Only an energized ground that is not part of the GFCI (line-neutral) current loop could remain unprotected.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 11:06:03 AM »

Specifically addressing point #2 - non-compliant businesses are either ignorant or willfully disregarding life safety issues.  Ignorance can be educated but willful disregard requires the Big Stick of law and regulation enforcement.

Giving the Big Stick to others can cause a lot of harm. 
Not to Code

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2018, 02:17:55 PM »

Giving the Big Stick to others can cause a lot of harm.

Non compliance with life safety issues kills people.  That's a fair bit o' harm, eh?

If folks instinctively and inherently did the "right thing" we wouldn't need the types and amounts of regulations we tend to see.  People operate in their own very narrow self interests and most often the financial aspect is the primary interest.

I once worked for a boss whose idea of workplace safety was to admonish workers to 'be more careful.'  When he broke his leg on the loading dock (he got it between the dock and trailer) we told him to be more careful... after we'd previously mentioned safety barriers, markings and training.  Until it happened to him, it wasn't worth the money... now there are safety chains, marked aisles and a posted dock safety notice at this workplace.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »

Non compliance with life safety issues kills people.  That's a fair bit o' harm, eh?

Yes That is a lot of harm.  There are many examples of governments using big sticks to enforce regulations that get people killed.   
Not to Code

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2018, 03:41:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.