ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Very cheap digital mixer  (Read 6005 times)

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
Very cheap digital mixer
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »

Looking to replace a Behringer 1204 with a digital mixer with tablet control.   Use is family get togethers with some people noodling guitars and a couple of residential patio gigs for a local historical group. Cables are a PITA for these.

Anything less expensive than a Behringer XR12?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Very cheap digital mixer
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:31:35 PM »

Cheaper than Behringer?  ::)

Does it need to actually work?

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:48:01 PM »

Cheaper than Behringer?  ::)

Does it need to actually work?

JR

Right - this.

There is probably NOTHING on the market cheaper than the XR series with anything close to its capabilities and small footprint. What are the XR12's now - just over $200? A few years back nothing even existed that sounded remotely decent for that money. I have a XR18 and it really is a cool little box that does the job well for the money.
Are you sure a little analog wouldn't work for your needs even with the PITA cabling? Analog mixers are so silly inexpensive now that you'd get something quite good for cheap money. If however you are set on tablet mixing - the XR it is.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »

Anything less expensive than a Behringer XR12?

Nope!  And, as others have hinted, I'd be nervous about anything priced lower.

Soundcraft's Ui12 is comparable, but runs $300 street price.  Maybe the DigiTech guitar effects on inputs 1 & 2 would justify the additional "expense"?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 03:59:57 PM »

Right - this.

There is probably NOTHING on the market cheaper than the XR series with anything close to its capabilities and small footprint. What are the XR12's now - just over $200? A few years back nothing even existed that sounded remotely decent for that money. I have a XR18 and it really is a cool little box that does the job well for the money.
Are you sure a little analog wouldn't work for your needs even with the PITA cabling? Analog mixers are so silly inexpensive now that you'd get something quite good for cheap money. If however you are set on tablet mixing - the XR it is.

I don’t understand a mixer without wires. You gotta cable the power, inputs and outputs. Just like an analog mixer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 05:18:16 PM »

I don’t understand a mixer without wires. You gotta cable the power, inputs and outputs. Just like an analog mixer.

Yup.  But I can keep all but one power cable in a small space.  More to stop the death stares from my cousins than anything.

XR12 it will be then.  I used an XR18 with one cover band and liked it.  Have they made the onboard WIFI usable?

You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:38:48 PM »

Yup.  But I can keep all but one power cable in a small space.  More to stop the death stares from my cousins than anything.

XR12 it will be then.  I used an XR18 with one cover band and liked it.  Have they made the onboard WIFI usable?

No

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:44:49 PM »

Still 2.4ghz... I use it all the time when I am messing around at home but would never trust it for a show. Use an inexpensive external router.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 10:11:10 PM »

Snakes are heavy, bulky and labor intensive.  Wifi is none of that.  Only trade off is that the snake still works when the audience starts to light up their Facebook pages.  We use iPad control routinely for set up especially for monitors, and we always have a computer hardwired to the wifi router to still have control during the show.

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:03:49 PM »

We put a 1/2 wave TP link on our XR18 and the internal WiFi has been quite reliable.  I can't recall a dropout. The stock 1/4 wave antenna just does not cut it.
The owner tells me his XR18 does not like the sun, however.  With the small package, heat becomes a big issue outdoors.  Can't speak to the XR12...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 06:03:49 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.