ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bo Rhap -Close But No Cigar  (Read 2630 times)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Bo Rhap -Close But No Cigar
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »

The Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" movie was fun, but now my head is all stuck in the '70s & 80's again :^).

The technical aspects of the movie were remarkably good for the most part, the "Live Aid '85" recreation used Malcolm Hill (M4 like) speakers for the side fills, and huge dual 15" 3-way floor monitors which made me curious as to who had done audio production for the event, back in the days before Clair bought up all the competition.

Sure enough, Malcolm Hill Associates had provided production for the event, but the floor monitors in the film version "cheaped out" on the HF horn and mid speaker, and undersized the LF ports.

In the movie, Queen's manager lifts a pair of LR faders (which typically would have been stage side fills) about 10 dB above the taped off "limit" with no feedback...
It's historically interesting to find that the Leq SPL for Queen was also around 10 dB louder than the softest set, 100.7 db(A) for their performance, the lowest set averaging 90.5 dB(A) at the mix position, 130 feet back from the speakers at 8 foot high.

Trivia..

Art
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 10:41:02 AM by Art Welter »

Daniel Levi

Re: Bo Rhap -Close But No Cigar
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:20:42 AM »

I was also under the impression that the BBC did all the audio mixing using multiple 8ch desks because that's all they had, i.e. no one large mixer as shown in the film.

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 01:43:09 PM »

I was also under the impression that the BBC did all the audio mixing using multiple 8ch desks because that's all they had, i.e. no one large mixer as shown in the film.
12 channel desks all patched together in an unholy mess, the foh desk was one of Mr Hill's own designs if memory serves me, the patching and general cable running was "interesting" to say the least, still have occasional flashbacks of angry TV producers screaming at me down comms about where X source was supposed to be coming in .

Hill Audio's M series speakers were pretty good system  for the day they were relatively easy to set up and didn't sound to bad compared to their contemporaries just really heavy but then most audio kit was then.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »

12 channel desks all patched together in an unholy mess, the foh desk was one of Mr Hill's own designs if memory serves me, the patching and general cable running was "interesting" to say the least, still have occasional flashbacks of angry TV producers screaming at me down comms about where X source was supposed to be coming in .
Gordon,

Were you mixing the BBC broadcast mix for Live Aid '85?
Were the TV mixes derived from the "unholy mess", or separate splits to their own console(s)?

Any details would be appreciated!

Art

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 07:26:35 PM »

Gordon,

Were you mixing the BBC broadcast mix for Live Aid '85?
Were the TV mixes derived from the "unholy mess", or separate splits to their own console(s)?

Any details would be appreciated!

Art

Here is an article on the Hill system from 1985 starting on page 88 https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/in_focus_tips_tricks_punts/

The whole magazine is a fun read.  It reminds me why I can read an entire LSI in one "reading room" session vs. getting a month out of a magazine in my youth.  Schematics and real in depth info (the Silk preamp article is really interesting).

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2018, 01:38:15 PM »

Here is an article on the Hill system from 1985 starting on page 88 https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/in_focus_tips_tricks_punts/

The whole magazine is a fun read.  It reminds me why I can read an entire LSI in one "reading room" session vs. getting a month out of a magazine in my youth.  Schematics and real in depth info (the Silk preamp article is really interesting).
Not finding any page 88 or Silk pre-amp article in the 64 page 11/18 LSI.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:49 PM »

Not finding any page 88 or Silk pre-amp article in the 64 page 11/18 LSI.

Ooops pasted wrong link!

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Studio-Sound/80s/Studio-Sound-1985-12.pdf

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 01:48:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.