ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HDbase-t  (Read 5326 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
HDbase-t
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:06:37 PM »

How compatible are HD base-t units from different makers?

While keeping costs low, what are good units?

Thanks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Kevin Rudolph

Re: HDbase-t
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:20:00 PM »

We have been using monoprice and haven’t had any compatibility issues.  Our projector purchases have steered towards either hdbaset or sdi inputs.

I have heard from various manufacturers that they do not guarantee 100% compatibility, particularly between older and newer units.  That being said, we have gone out of a Roland XS-84 switch into Monoprice or Altona receivers, Moniprice hdbaset 1x4 splitters inti Eike or NEC projectors... never had a problem.

Crestron is coming out with a pretty capable value unit in the DM Lite series - 70m @ 1080p. Still prob 2-3x monoprice cost.

If you try the Monoprice route, carefully select your unit. Their various units max transmission distance varies per unit and aren’t always super obviously labeled.

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »

Thanks for all that.

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »

Hi Rob,

I also don't think compatibility is guaranteed.  I did just do a project using Snap AV/Binary brand HD-BaseT transmitters with built-in receivers on Epson projectors.  They're working flawlessly at 720P and ~160' of shielded CAT6 cable between them.

This is the transmitter model that I used and they were fairly reasonably priced:
Binary™ 540 Series 4K Ultra HD HDBaseT Long-Range Transmitter with IR
https://www.snapav.com/shop/en/snapav/binary-trade%3B-540-series-hdbaset-transmitter---330-ft-b-540-tx-330-ir

Jeff

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:01:47 PM »

I've only ever combined mfgrs when going from a Kramer switcher to a Digital Projection projector.  Worked right away, no problems.  Otherwise I tend to stay within one mfgr on both ends 'cause I'm usually buying RX and TX together and it just makes sense to keep things more simple.  That said, it SHOULD work cross mfgr.  Should.  You know how that can go though.  :)

Rob Spence

• Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:56 PM »

Thanks.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 05:29:09 AM »

I've only ever combined mfgrs when going from a Kramer switcher to a Digital Projection projector.  Worked right away, no problems.  Otherwise I tend to stay within one mfgr on both ends 'cause I'm usually buying RX and TX together and it just makes sense to keep things more simple.  That said, it SHOULD work cross mfgr.  Should.  You know how that can go though.  :)
As Erik said - should, but not always.  Key Digital was a brand that wouldn't play nice with other brands, it may have been fixed with newer models. 

Power over HDbaseT is not universal.  This is a more common issue when mixing manufacturers. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 05:12:00 PM »

How it was explained to me was that HDBaseT is standard that is bought into by the manufacturer that wants to use it.  Different levels of the standard are purchased meaning that one person my only buy as deep as video signal where another will go into the control and maybe Ethernet.  I'm not sure if this is correct though.

The other thing that was expressed is that some meet the basic standard and then add their own info going down the line.  The case that was used was Crestron.  Ideally you should be able to take one of their DM wall plates and hook it up to anything, but who knows as they have some other magic going down the line to make it Crestron.

In speaking with Barco about it, I was told hit or miss.  If it works great, if not buy a set.

I have been using SDI for most of my ballroom stuff as when having to split the signal it is pretty easy.  In HDBaseT this gets a bit more expensive to do.  I have a space that I will be doing HDBaseT in and I am going to use these: http://www.theatrixx.com/en/products/video/x-vision/xvision-converters/  I have some of the SDI version and there is nothing I have found close to the build quality for production.  Having Powercons and Ethercons makes me feel so much better than the Blackmagic boxes I was using.  I have had issues with power connectors not seating right. 

Chris

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:58:55 AM »

How it was explained to me was that HDBaseT is standard that is bought into by the manufacturer that wants to use it.  Different levels of the standard are purchased meaning that one person my only buy as deep as video signal where another will go into the control and maybe Ethernet.  I'm not sure if this is correct though.

The other thing that was expressed is that some meet the basic standard and then add their own info going down the line.  The case that was used was Crestron.  Ideally you should be able to take one of their DM wall plates and hook it up to anything, but who knows as they have some other magic going down the line to make it Crestron.

In speaking with Barco about it, I was told hit or miss.  If it works great, if not buy a set.

I have been using SDI for most of my ballroom stuff as when having to split the signal it is pretty easy.  In HDBaseT this gets a bit more expensive to do.  I have a space that I will be doing HDBaseT in and I am going to use these: http://www.theatrixx.com/en/products/video/x-vision/xvision-converters/  I have some of the SDI version and there is nothing I have found close to the build quality for production.  Having Powercons and Ethercons makes me feel so much better than the Blackmagic boxes I was using.  I have had issues with power connectors not seating right. 

Chris

You're right Chris, SDI is (until you start tangling with 1080p and above) a lot easier to use than HDBT.  I do like how HDBT maintains HDCP and how you can package RS232 in with it.  In some integration situations those are definite pluses.  I've never wanted for HDBT in event work though.  I'm also working with switchers that strip HDBT in those situations so that's just not an issue.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 12:58:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.