ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog Snake Stuck, help  (Read 5272 times)

Spencer Martin

Analog Snake Stuck, help
« on: March 25, 2018, 02:43:43 PM »

We had a guy come in and set up a new system at our campus and we thought he knew wat he was doing till he got the analog snake stuck in our conduit that runs under the floor and I don’t know how to get it out.the cable he used to pull it snapped and we can’t pull it back. Any ideas how I could get it out?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:47:35 PM »

We had a guy come in

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Hanno Meingast

Re: Analog Snake Stuck, help
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:09:19 PM »

I have seen situations where a new pull line was installed using a shop vac and a bundle of rags tied to that line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 12:06:58 AM »

We had a guy come in and set up a new system at our campus and we thought he knew wat he was doing till he got the analog snake stuck in our conduit that runs under the floor and I don’t know how to get it out.the cable he used to pull it snapped and we can’t pull it back. Any ideas how I could get it out?

I'm assuming you're saying that the snake is stuck in the pipe.  If not and you're just looking to run a new string then Hanno has the right idea.

Hitch a ratchet strap around the snake, attach the other end to structure.  Engage ratchet.  Hopefully you won't have to put much tension on it to yank it out.  If you do... watch out.  May destroy the snake but that's probably better than cutting up the floor to cut out the problem section of pipe and remove the snake.

For future note, If you really have to pull hard there's probably something wrong.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:22:35 AM »

... any reason why you don't just have "that guy" fix the problem he caused?
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:25:11 AM »

Was this a snake with connectors already on the fan tail or just a blunt end piece of cable.
How big in diameter is the conduit and how long is the length, how many turns and bends, any other cable already in the conduit.

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:48:10 AM »

Was this a snake with connectors already on the fan tail or just a blunt end piece of cable.
How big in diameter is the conduit and how long is the length, how many turns and bends, any other cable already in the conduit.

And how many XLR's are you dealing with?  If they weren't staggered and secured properly there is a lot of potential wedging force. 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:59:47 AM »

If you can access the conduit from below (in the basement or crawl space), cutting the conduit might be the easiest route. If the conduit is buried in a slab, then that sucks.

An alternate routing and a new anolog snake, or a digital snake, might be more cost effective that cutting a slab.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »

You just might have a useless snake -- AND a useless conduit. If you can access the conduit (unless it's below the slab), you might be able to cut the conduit where the problem is and work things out. Otherwise, new conduit and a new snake might be cheaper than cutting into a slab and the subsequent repair. Think about the value of your time, too.

Maybe a plumbing snake (rooter) could be used to "clean out" the mess.

NEXT TIME: If you're pulling the fanout of a snake through a conduit, the XLRs should be staggered and bundled (wrap with plastic wrap and tape). Tie the pull string/cable/rope to the JACKET of the snake. Then use LOTS AND LOTS of cable pulling lube (they sell it in the electrical department).

Better yet, pull unterminated bulk snake cable and put ends on it after it's pulled through the conduit.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 06:54:29 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.