ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Designs for mic stand storage cart?  (Read 12402 times)

Scott Hofmann

Scott Hofmann

Scott Hofmann

Re: Designs for mic stand storage cart?
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 05:27:54 PM »

Quite a while ago an act came through with a large road case. It had scalloped inserts that allowed the stands to lay horizontally along the long axis of the case. IIRC, there was enough clearance at the end of the case for three round bases (attached) at each end. I do not remember if it had a top scalloped insert so a second layer could rest on top of the base layer.  The scalloped part was sort of like the things that LightSource makes to stack truss.  Maybe something like that, if you have room. The other thing to consider is a A-frame like they use to stack pipes.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Scott Hofmann

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »

Scott,

My 38+ year old truck integer (45" x45" x15") design below was for Atlas MS-10 round base stands, using K&M or Atlas booms, 14 fit in the case and the clips can all remain on the booms. The drawing on the yellow pad was done by my brother Roy in the mid 1980's when we tired of remeasuring the first one each time we built another..

K&M round base stands dimensions may be different, but the concept would work fine adjusted to any base and stand dimensions.

The case can be made 22.5" deep and fit 28 stands.
A slide in cover fits in front of the case.

The 15" deep case can have stability issues if the rear casters turn towards the loading side, best to load it against a wall.

The design has saved thousands of man-hours in labor, and countless stripped threads in dozens of systems and venues.

Cheers,
Art

I think you have the winner Art! Just what I was looking for.
I believe I will make mine a little deeper so I can add hinged doors and have room for additional stands. The added depth will keep it from tipping over too.
Scott Hofmann

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 04:31:58 AM »

I think you have the winner Art! Just what I was looking for.
I believe I will make mine a little deeper so I can add hinged doors and have room for additional stands. The added depth will keep it from tipping over too.

Scott,

Doubling the amount of stands with only 7.5" more depth is worth it.
The 15" and 22.5" depths have room for 3/4" doors using 10" round bases.

You can also fit around at least an additional 4 folding tripods at a diagonal in the small size, 8 in the larger- 36 stands with clips and booms.
That pack would weigh in over 500 pounds fully loaded- I remember when that didn't seem all that heavy...

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »

Scott,

Doubling the amount of stands with only 7.5" more depth is worth it.
The 15" and 22.5" depths have room for 3/4" doors using 10" round bases.

You can also fit around at least an additional 4 folding tripods at a diagonal in the small size, 8 in the larger- 36 stands with clips and booms.
That pack would weigh in over 500 pounds fully loaded- I remember when that didn't seem all that heavy...

Art

Oh yeah. Old Dayz: "It's on wheels, no problem..."  These days: "hey, I need 2 stagehands over here".

My first "real" PA system used 3 section K&M tripod stands and I could put a dozen of them and 9 2 section booms into a 26" duffle bag.  Carry it?  Naw, it rode in on top of a subwoofer.  I owned 3 round base stands for singers that had to do their Freddy Mercury impersonations...  Those K&M stands are still around in various other peoples rigs today.

I've seen variations of the Art & Roy design but your original seems better than the tributes.  :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »

Scott,

My 38+ year old truck integer (45" x45" x15") design below was for Atlas MS-12 round base stands, using K&M or Atlas booms, 14 fit in the case and the clips can all remain on the booms. The drawing on the yellow pad was done by my brother Roy in the mid 1980's when we tired of remeasuring the first one each time we built another..

K&M round base stands dimensions may be different, but the concept would work fine adjusted to any base and stand dimensions.

The case can be made 22.5" deep and fit 28 stands.
A slide in cover fits in front of the case.

The 15" deep case can have stability issues if the rear casters turn towards the loading side, best to load it against a wall.

The design has saved thousands of man-hours in labor, and countless stripped threads in dozens of systems and venues.

Cheers,
Art

Keeping a copy of this, thanks Art.  14 stands -- is that 8 upside down, and 6 horizontal?

The mic stand grove in our church tech storage room is out of control.  We would need 2 of these, I think.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 08:22:12 PM »

I've seen variations of the Art & Roy design but your original seems better than the tributes.  :)
They may have been copies of the prototypes  :'(.

I "borrowed" from some other designs before the "original" ;^)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »

Keeping a copy of this, thanks Art.  14 stands -- is that 8 upside down, and 6 horizontal?

The mic stand grove in our church tech storage room is out of control.  We would need 2 of these, I think.
The 14 stand case is loaded 4 right side up on the bottom, 3 on the left, 4 upside down on the top, three on the right.
The 28 stand case gets a second round after any folding tripod stands get put in at a diagonal.

Unload in reverse (especially in church, where swearing is usually frowned upon)...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.