ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: rackmount UPS  (Read 11705 times)

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: rackmount UPS
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 12:59:45 AM »

I have a TrippLite that's held up for years. I would never put a UPS in a rack that wasn't on wheels. Even small ones are heavy.

I use the same units in many racks. Never had a single problem.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 01:08:12 AM »

I think there is a very recent thread about this topic.  Either way, I use an offering from the Eaton 9130 series of UPS products for my FOH.  The fan is a bit noisy - no worse than almost any moving light - but still audible.  Otherwise, no issues whatsoever.  As already mentioned though these types of units are decently heavy - I too wouldn't put one in a rack without wheels. 

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 01:17:20 AM »

I have a TrippLite that's held up for years. I would never put a UPS in a rack that wasn't on wheels. Even small ones are heavy.

:-\  Do you mean rails?
No. I mean wheels...on the rack.
But I'd also never put a UPS in a portable rack if the UPS wasn't rack-mountable.

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 05:49:19 PM »

I'm in the process of putting my digital stageboxes in road cases and I'm looking at 1ru UPSs.
One will just feed the Stagebox and the other will have a Stagebox and Driverack.
In looking at the Triplite reviews, they either work perfect of fail or have a noisy fan.
What does the hive mind have to say?
Other brands?
Thanks, all!

Have a look at Middle Atlantic too
All models are rack mountable and they do have some 1U ones
-and all have easily swappable batteries
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
rackmount UPS
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »

Have a look at Middle Atlantic too
All models are rack mountable and they do have some 1U ones
-and all have easily swappable batteries

I really like the Middle Atlantic stuff as well and they are what I spec in my designs. I have also seen quite a few in some touring racks that come through town. One weekend I got bored and wrote a little Lua script to pull the status into Q-Sys.  Just a note... the 1RU units are a simulated sine wave and not a pure sine wave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 06:30:14 PM by David Sturzenbecher »
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »

Just a note... the 1RU units are a simulated sine wave and not a pure sine wave.

What does that mean?  Actually, I know what it means.  What I mean is, what are the consequences of using a simulated sine wave on a digital board?  And for the (hopefully) short amount of time it will be needed?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:15:07 PM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

John Koepke Jr.

• American Canyon, CA.
    • http://www.superiorlightandsound.com
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2018, 06:40:02 PM »

What does that mean?  Actually, I know what it means.  What I mean is, what are the consequences of using a simulated sine wave on a digital board?  And for the (hopefully) short amount of time it will be needed?
Simulated sine wave does not play well with PFC power supplies.  It can cause the device attached to it, to reboot during a power failure.  For this exact reason I was looking into double conversion UPS's.  But they are way more expensive, and they do not make one in 1U.  At least non that I could find.  Mission critical stuff at my day job, runs on double conversion APC UPS's.

For those that do not know, a double conversion UPS basically converts AC into DC power, to charge the batteries, and run the inverters, to convert the clean DC into AC to power your gear.  But the UPS is always running off of the DC inverters, so if you have a power failure, you don't experience the 5ms or 8ms of gap for the UPS to fire up the inverters.
"I gotta have more cow bell baby!"

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »

Hi Dave,

Had a show this weekend and my M32 really did not like the generator that was provided. Had no issues with the stagebox (DL32), QLX-D's, I-Tech's, etc but the M32 would occasionally reboot. Didn't have time to order any of the reccomended UPS units online but fortunately the local Fry's Electronics had the unit below in stock.

https://frys.com/product/9375990?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

It's an online double conversion unit with a sinusoidal waveform, and seems well built. After putting it inline with the M32 I had no issues the rest of the show. It also seems to be a hundred or so bucks cheaper than other comparable units.

If you can make a 2U unit work, it could be an option that you can pick up locally.

Doug Moran

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 11:41:28 AM »

I'm in the process of putting my digital stageboxes in road cases and I'm looking at 1ru UPSs.
One will just feed the Stagebox and the other will have a Stagebox and Driverack.
In looking at the Triplite reviews, they either work perfect of fail or have a noisy fan.
What does the hive mind have to say?
Other brands?
Thanks, all!

Two or three years ago I bought a used Tripp Lite SMART750RM1U Smart Pro 750VA 450 Watts 1U Rackmount.  50 pounds, 1 rack unit.   Works great.  I am running the X32 and two S16 boxes off to it.  Heavy though - my 6 space rack with the S16s and the Tripp Lite is perhaps close to 100 pounds.  Fan makes noise, but not bad at all.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »

My day job puts me into some of the largest data centers in the world every day of the week, up and down the east coast. Power conditioning, environmental conditioning, hardware positioning and extreme security are all primary factors in the design of these centers. The companies using these data centers have unlimited funds and the class hardware is always the best money can buy. Thousands of servers, routers, switches, miles and miles of cable connecting these devices and all with one thing in common. Perfect power.

I won't get into describing the rooms of batteries and 1000HP generators that most of these data centers have in common, that's a given. What I will say is that in my travels, almost every piece of critical hardware backed by secondary power conditioning (third point of possible failure) uses one of two brands. Those brands are Tripplite, or APC. Make your own decisions, but I'll just say that when protecting your hardware costs should be a secondary consideration.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 12:09:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.