ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR Captivator 212  (Read 7803 times)

John Smallwood

JTR Captivator 212
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:11 PM »

Hey guys, long time follower but first time posting.  I recently switched from using Yorkville 801's to JTR Captivator 212's.  I liked percussive aspect the Yorkies and have been using them for 3-4 years. Downside, heavy (140 lbs) and using the casters was always awkward.  After reading some posts here about JTR, I started an email conversation with Jeff at JTR.  He gave me simple facts and responded quickly to my concerns. I purchased a pair and, man, I wish I'd found these earlier.  Just an amazing sound from such a light weight cabinet (70 lbs). I've had a chance to use them in a variety of different applications with the last being an outdoor event for St.Patricks day (500-750 ppl).  I had all the low-end I needed and still had plenty of head room. If you are in need of sub cabs that won't break your back and have all the low end you'll need for small -medium club, wedding tent events, small-medium outdoor events give these serious consideration.
Here's my set up:
2 RCF HD32a's
2 Captivator 212's
XR18 using Aux fed subs

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »

Hey guys, long time follower but first time posting.

As a "long time follower" you must already be aware of this, but:

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac
admin

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
Re: JTR Captivator 212
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 04:52:48 PM »

Thanks, John.

That good, huh? Well, I've been looking for a small sub to use as part of a stage monitor for drums, (sub and top box). Maybe that would fill the need for the lower half.

Will I get plenty of punch out of it? ...say, around 80Hz? Some drummers want it loud. I don't want a bunch of stage rumble, though, so it doesn't need to go low.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:55:40 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:53:12 PM »

Hi Gord, I've been eyeing them up too.  I'm an owner of some JTR Orbit Shifters as well, but now and then I encounter stairs.  Just deciding what's a better use of my money....buying dedicated subs for those times, or hiring a helper for stairs. 

I haven't used the C212Pro yet, but Data-Bass have done some nice measurements and testing that might answer your questions and more.  Click on "measurements" to see more details.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 12:14:48 PM »

We have four of the C212Pros and have deployed them in a number of settings and configurations. Honestly, we've never used more than two for FOH duties, even at an outdoor beer garden with around 500 people in attendance.

We regularly deploy one under a DSR112 and use it as a drum monitor. Drummers have been asking us to turn down the sub cabinet, which is a first for me. These things hit *hard* from around 50Hz and up, yet they stay accurate when going low.

There's not a ton of output below around 35Hz, but in live environments, that's totally great. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better all-purpose sub.

James Hennessy

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »

I'm seriously considering selling my EV ETX rig and getting a couple of Captivator 212 subs to replace my ETX-15SP sub.  With my SM80s and DNA20K4PRO amp I could get the passive 212s and have a better sounding, more portable system when I just need something for smaller rooms.  I like the idea of getting more use out of my SM80 tops and DNA amp. 

Has anyone used the SM80s with Captivator 212s?  I'm assuming they'll work great together but would love some feedback from someone that's actually used them together.

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »

I'm seriously considering selling my EV ETX rig and getting a couple of Captivator 212 subs to replace my ETX-15SP sub.  With my SM80s and DNA20K4PRO amp I could get the passive 212s and have a better sounding, more portable system when I just need something for smaller rooms.  I like the idea of getting more use out of my SM80 tops and DNA amp. 

Has anyone used the SM80s with Captivator 212s?  I'm assuming they'll work great together but would love some feedback from someone that's actually used them together.

My guess is that you'd run out of lows before the SM80's gave up. I usually run mine with DBH218's and they have no problem keeping up.

Steve Crump

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2018, 05:39:07 PM »

What part of the world are you located? If you were close enough to one of the Captivator owners or Jeff's shop, you could try it before you buy it.

James Hennessy

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2018, 06:08:53 PM »

What part of the world are you located? If you were close enough to one of the Captivator owners or Jeff's shop, you could try it before you buy it.

I'm on the west coast of Canada so setting up a demo probably wouldn't be easy. 

Mainly just want to get a sense of how the 212s are when they are crossed over at 115 to 120 hz.

Guess I'm also wondering how stable they are when you pole mount a top like the SM80 on them. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 07:57:06 PM by James Hennessy »

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »

Contact Jeff at JTR.  He can probably answer those questions for you. He’s a solid guy.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.