ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Coordination software  (Read 3919 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Coordination software
« on: March 21, 2018, 03:50:49 pm »

I know the "standard" seems to be IAS.
What does it do that the others don't?

WWB6
WSM
Wireless Designer
ClearWaves

-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jordan Wolf

Re: Coordination software
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:57:07 pm »

WWB6
WSM
Wireless Designer
ClearWaves
I use Shure’s Wireless Workbench as my software since I primarily deal with their hardware.

Comparatively, IAS seems a lot more “tweakable” in the IMD options and grouping/organization of its frequencies. It also recalculates the freqs. after each device addition, from what I remember.

I’d need to play around with the most recent version of IAS, but that’s what I recall.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 05:42:58 pm »

Most of my experience is with WWB and it's very easy to use.
I seem to more often need spectrum analysis so I've been playing with SDRPlay and RFExplorer. Came across ClearWaves which proports to "do it all", meaning scanning, spectrum analysis and coordination. However, I've never heard of anyone using it.
I've had people recommend IAS to me, but I've not seen any compelling reason to switch to it since I'm typically using packages of Shure or Sennheiser RF, and the manufacturer's free software seems to work fine for those systems.
-Andy

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 05:44:14 pm »

IAS has totally opposite workflow from WWB, though you can do basically all the same stuff.

One thing I've noticed is that WWB overlaps the TV stations very slightly, meaning no mics can be put in the gap between them. IAS will use that gap.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 05:48:11 pm »

IAS has totally opposite workflow from WWB, though you can do basically all the same stuff.

One thing I've noticed is that WWB overlaps the TV stations very slightly, meaning no mics can be put in the gap between them. IAS will use that gap.
Thanks, Scott.
My guess is that for basic coordination and wireless setup of equipment that you know, the manufacturer's software is fine, but if you need max channels with all kinds of different products from different manufactures, IAS can be better? Or maybe not?
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 06:35:25 pm »

I guess there's other software out there too, like the stuff Kaltman Creations sells. Again, never heard of anyone using it, so no idea how good it is.
-Andy

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 07:04:58 pm »

My guess is that for basic coordination and wireless setup of equipment that you know, the manufacturer's software is fine, but if you need max channels with all kinds of different products from different manufactures, IAS can be better? Or maybe not?

Most of my experience is with WSM and WWB. Even on shows that are using all Sennheiser gear I'll still build the coordination in WWB first. I do this for two reasons: first, I tend to find that WWB will get me a few more channels per chunk of spectrum than WSM (the IAS coordinations I've seen suggest that IAS is even more spectrum-efficient than WWB, at least when used by a skilled operator). More important, though, is that WWB handles third-party (i.e. non-Shure) equipment much more happily than WSM, and the there's always the chance I'll have to add something to the coordination later that isn't Sennheiser. (My familiarity with WWB vs. WSM, as well as the fact that my RF Explorer Python scanning script dumps out csv files in WWB format, also likely plays a roll in my leaning on WWB.)

The impression I've gotten, both in practice and interacting with some of the experts in the field, is that IAS is incredible for really big shows (and obviously is equipment-agnostic), but that as long as you're not coordinating more than, say, 40 or 50 channels, the added power may not be worth the significant price tag.

Ultimately, in my mind, the software is just a tool like any other. I can't justify buying a TTi SA because my RF Explorer fulfills my current SA needs, and IAS vs. WWB is a similar decision: WWB fulfills my current coordination needs. If I were to start doing coordinations for much larger shows there's a decent chance one or both of those needs would change, but for now I'm very happy with what I can do in WWB, and I see no great need to drop a chunk of change on something that won't make any meaningful difference to what the audience hears.

I guess there's other software out there too, like the stuff Kaltman Creations sells. Again, never heard of anyone using it, so no idea how good it is.

I'm pretty sure Ike Zimbel uses Kaltman's Invisible Waves RF Command Center for RF surveilance, but I don't think he uses Kaltman's coordination software.

-Russ

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:20:19 pm »

WWB6
WSM
Wireless Designer
ClearWaves

Sort of the difference between machine code and a compiler . . . Or maybe a '65 Cobra and a current model Corvette.

IAS has a much faster and more direct workflow in terms keystrokes, IM order and bandwidth settings, zone creation/delineation and general speed. Because of the ability to change more parameters easier (faster), very high channel counts are regularly achievable, but if you don't understand all the parameters, you can get yourself into trouble really fast.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 08:23:22 pm »

WWB6
WSM
Wireless Designer
ClearWaves

Watch my videos - bottom of this page.
http://www.bestaudio.com/spectrum-scans

Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
peter@bestaudio.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:59 pm »

For me, WWB is the choice if I've got direct access to a rack full of Shure gear. Or if I need to hand off to somebody who doesn't have IAS.  WWB will do a big multistage festival (I did two last summer), though you have to be careful about your workflow. Specifically, locking every frequency you've handed out so that another calculation cycle doesn't screw all that up. Once in the habit of doing that it's not a big deal.

IAS is great for "just one more channel of Foo branded IFB in band 32z", the workflow is all about seeing what you can fit in to an existing big coordination. That's the workflow, you just keep adding things as you go. Really good if you don't know just how many customers you might have on a particular show.

The critical thing to learn on either program, if you need to do big events, is the zone functionality. That's what makes big multi-stage events with various acts at different times possible, because it's completely impossible to do all that as one simple coordination.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:59 pm »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 25 queries.