ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Subgroup and VCA Mixing Workflow  (Read 14681 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Subgroup and VCA Mixing Workflow
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 10:45:43 AM »

I understand that I have to be really careful with how I ride the faders after setting bus compressors as that would directly affect the amount of compression applied.
I really don't have any experience with bus processing in a live environment but I'm just interested to try some new stuff as I get the chance now a larger console.
I might just end up only using bus eq and ditching the compression if it doesn't work out in my situation. I'll just have to see how it goes.

The problem with double bussing has to do with timing. Some digital mixers have delay compensation so if you assign to 2 paths and one of them has additional processing on it (because of the additional time the processing will take) the mixer will delay the first (faster) path so that the 2 paths come together properly time aligned. If you are using a mixer that doesn’t do that and you don’t find a way to properly time align the different paths, they will be out of time with each other and sound BAD.

I double assign channels to multiple DACs regularly. For example DCA1 all vocals, DCA2 backing vocals only, DCA3 all instruments, DCA4 Drums, DCA5 Horns, DCA6 effects, DCA8 all subgroups as my master. I actually hardly ever use the L/R bus. I assign channels to subgroups and then to the matrix send. It gives me the ability to send a tapered mix to the different matrixes.

And as you already know if anything is assigned to multiple DCAs if any of those DCAs is down what is assigned to it is down. I love the way that the Avid has what I call the ghost fader on the display, if a DCA is affecting a channel you will see that ghost fader down on that channels display. It is a great indication of the influence of the DCAs on what is assigned to them. I don't know if any other digital mixer does this.

Aisle 6

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 07:17:44 AM »

I love the way that the Avid has what I call the ghost fader on the display, if a DCA is affecting a channel you will see that ghost fader down on that channels display. It is a great indication of the influence of the DCAs on what is assigned to them. I don't know if any other digital mixer does this.

I agree. That is one of the best things that AVID do and others could easily follow this lead.

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »

Hello!
I've been mixing on smaller format consoles (X32/M32/Si Series) for a while now and have used VCAs all the time. Sometimes I also do basic mixdowns of live recordings for demo purposes in my DAW and started to like using groups for all sorts of parallel processing or using a big instrument group as a quick way to make some space in the mix for vocals with eq and so on.
This year I'm going to go on a few bigger weekend tours with a band I've mixed for about a year now and we as our tech crew decided to go for an SD9 for this purpose.
We have about 35-40 input channels and four Vocal IEM Mixes along with several Aux busses that feed a personal monitoring system for the musicians onstage.
As we have more Groups and Auxes available on the console than we normally need, I would like to implement parts of the workflow I use in my daw into my live mixing, to have some more options for processing channels together.
We have two days to prep the console before we meet with the band but I'd like to have the basic stuff figured out beforehand.
Now one thing I can't really get my head around, is how you would best use VCAs and subgroups together, mixing live. I've looked at a lot of YouTube videos where pro mixers go over their channel processing and a lot of them seem to use bus processing. But how would you assign channels to VCAs then.
For example using my drum channels, I would route them to a drums group (with some eq and a little compression) and a parallel group, which gets smashed and sent to a big verb. I can then mix those together in the LR Bus.
With only VCAs I would have a Kick/Snare and an Overall Drums VCA so I can mix these accordingly. There would be no parallel processing and no overall treatment of the drums. If I were to do this with Group processing applied it wouldn't work as I would be constantly pushing the compressor too hard or not at all, deping on how I'd set my VCAs. This would make the whole group thing useless as it wouldn't work. But if I would assign the groups to my VCA, then for example sending my snare of to a post fader aux for reverb would be hard. Everytime I'd turn the drums down, the reverb would still have the same level.
Is there some way I can work all of this out in a logical way to get the best of VCAs and Groups together.
I know I'll probably have to change my workflow up a bit but I'm fine with that, as long as I find a solution that works.
I'm just interested if and how you guys are mixing  with both subgroups and VCAs. I'm hoping to get some ideas and input to kind of piece together a workflow of my own.

Thanks in advance!
Lauritz

A lot of inputs, IEM's and personal monitors for the band- you've got a lot on your plate.

I'd suggest focusing on what the band needs to get playing.  Keep you FOH mix simple for now.  Everything straight to stereo.  In-channel EQ and compression, effects on aux sends returning to channel strips.  Sure, make some VCA faders.

Then, once you have things under control, you can start doing some more intricate routing through subgroups.  But you may find it's not needed.

Gunther Mai

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 12:51:19 AM »

Before you start setting up your SD9 file and thinking about groups you should have a view on the DiGiCo way of managing the 'Control Groups', 'Multi Channels' and 'Set Spills' and the expanded routing options to the standard groups that will give you more functionality than you are used to use with X/M32.   

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 02:58:10 AM »

Before you start setting up your SD9 file and thinking about groups you should have a view on the DiGiCo way of managing the 'Control Groups', 'Multi Channels' and 'Set Spills' and the expanded routing options to the standard groups that will give you more functionality than you are used to use with X/M32.   
You will enjoy the sd9 only Digico I have ever used.  A real powerhouse in that price range.  It looks awesome in red too.

I had to turn off my x32 workflows it's a whole different paradigm.  I think it runs on Linux.  I found the software response sluggish compared to the x32 it surprised me at first.  You can just tell it's an application as it swaps out libraries and such.  Don't take this to me it's slow just the touchscreen response can have a discernable delay.

Make sure you enable autosave (it's not on by default)

The owner of the console was very helpful, I don't think I would have been successful if I had to do it solo cold.

BTW all my comments are based on stealth core 2.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 09:53:28 AM »

You will enjoy the sd9 only Digico I have ever used.  A real powerhouse in that price range.  It looks awesome in red too.

I had to turn off my x32 workflows it's a whole different paradigm.  I think it runs on Linux.  I found the software response sluggish compared to the x32 it surprised me at first.  You can just tell it's an application as it swaps out libraries and such.  Don't take this to me it's slow just the touchscreen response can have a discernable delay.

Make sure you enable autosave (it's not on by default)

The owner of the console was very helpful, I don't think I would have been successful if I had to do it solo cold.

BTW all my comments are based on stealth core 2.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

SD series runs on XP embedded.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:08 AM »

The midas and Behringer consoles run on Linux.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 03:08:09 PM »

Interesting. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 10:17:40 PM »

Interesting.
The new Yamaha PM10/7 series runs on Windows embedded also.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Subgroup and VCA Mixing Workflow
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 10:19:15 PM »

The new Yamaha PM5/7 series runs on Windows embedded also.
Tell me more about this PM5

Edit... ahh you fixed it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

Subgroup and VCA Mixing Workflow
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 10:19:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.