ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Push pull double 18  (Read 46411 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: Push pull double 18
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2019, 08:28:10 PM »

It's been a year since i built these subs...thought I should give a follow up post.

I absolutely love them. 
Easy to handle, dig crazy deep, clean as in squeaky clean, and plain ole loud.
Opposed clam shell mounting doesn't walk or even vibrate the cabinet much, you have to really crank before they would toss a beer..
Just pulled the drivers out to check them for sagging, since they are in a horizontal mounting position.
The "anti-sag" DC voltage described earlier in this thread, that i keep on them when not in use, has apparently worked fine...couldn't tell any difference in any drivers. (Thx again for the idea, Marc S.)

I know the following traces don't work for live because they entail 64ms latency, but damn, look how clean they are for playback.
No smoothing, either mag or phase

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2019, 08:06:33 AM »

I know the following traces don't work for live because they entail 64ms latency, but damn, look how clean they are for playback.
No smoothing, either mag or phase

Damn, now that's just showing off!
Great work man 👍

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2019, 11:35:17 AM »

Damn, now that's just showing off!
Great work man 👍

Thanks David !! 
And yeah, you're right about the showing off part, sorry :-[
Over zealous sometimes....

Hey, check out at my latest piece of experimental insanity, sitting on top of one of the push-push subs..
24 cheap 3.5" drivers that i have being driven with 6 amp channels powering 4 drivers each.
Separate DSP on each channel .... purely for playing with line array theory...shading, steering, etc, etc..   
Not much $ in the whole project for what I've been learning....biggest learning has probably been, despite nice looking transfers, I don't really like the sound of the line lol
But it is really cool to move the sound around...

Roland Clarke

« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »

Interesting project Mark!   :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:53:23 AM by Roland Clarke »

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2019, 08:56:05 PM »

Is there plans available for your design here? I went to the DIY site and tried to plow through the 85 pages. Having to sign up before looking at pictures wasn't something I felt like doing.
Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2019, 05:43:43 AM »

Not much $ in the whole project for what I've been learning....biggest learning has probably been, despite nice looking transfers, I don't really like the sound of the line lol
But it is really cool to move the sound around...

I found similar.

That, and the variable HF balance with distance as the array goes between point and line source. The best I came up with was a shaded array, with only the top few drivers playing above 5kHz. At that point, you might as well just reach for the compression drivers and be done with it.
Lower-mid power handling wasn't great, either, but you have more cone area than I did.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »

Is there plans available for your design here? I went to the DIY site and tried to plow through the 85 pages. Having to sign up before looking at pictures wasn't something I felt like doing.
Thanks;
Douglas R. Allen

Yeah, the DIY site's super long threads are a bear to get through....and the signup requirement to see picts annoys me too...

One of our forum members, Kyle F., has been working on putting the measurements I passed to him, into plans.
Here's a couple of 3D models he sent, on the way to making plans...
One of us will post them here when done.
Thank you Kyle  :)

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »

I found similar.

That, and the variable HF balance with distance as the array goes between point and line source. The best I came up with was a shaded array, with only the top few drivers playing above 5kHz. At that point, you might as well just reach for the compression drivers and be done with it.
Lower-mid power handling wasn't great, either, but you have more cone area than I did.

Chris

@ Roland,  a belated thanks for your May comment...I forgot about this thread (have had my head down deep in the DIY hole  :-[

@Chris, yep, I found the straight-line array to be a can of worms sonically. I could make very nice, very pleasing sound,... move the sound up, move it down, bow it in or out.  But I dunno, I just kept getting the feeling I was listening to sound through a diffusion or something.....

But one part of the line-array experiment that turned out better than hoped was the CBT conversion. It was pretty easy to move the drivers/baffle between the straight and curved boxes. The CBT version was remarkably room position independent in how it sounded and measured.  Hat's off to Don Keele..
I tried to amplitude and delay shade the straight-line to match the CBT...got close..but the continuous geometric curve of the CBT clearly was better.

I guess I need to try the frequency shading you mentioned (before I junk the arrays  ::)
But that will have to wait...giving a go at my first synergy effort..

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »

Yeah, the DIY site's super long threads are a bear to get through....and the signup requirement to see picts annoys me too...

One of our forum members, Kyle F., has been working on putting the measurements I passed to him, into plans.
Here's a couple of 3D models he sent, on the way to making plans...
One of us will post them here when done.
Thank you Kyle  :)

Thanks for posting these. Looks simple enough a Doug could do it. I haven't dipped my toes in DIY for years (Snail Horns years ago)  but these look like something I can build and can put some 18's I have in storage to work.
Looking forward to the design.

Kindest Regards;
Douglas R. Allen

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »

Hi all, PDF plans for the sub can be found at the link below.
Courtesy of forum member Kyle Forbes ! :)

There isn't any internal bracing shown, which is obviously needed. 
Different folks like to go to different lengths with bracing, so it's left up to you.
Kyle made nice handle locations/drawings.  More handles always help, huh
I just used two handles up high in the back side corners, which gets bye, but only because
the box is  easy to handle since the driver weight is centered.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fgvpuvMumpqZhwfjS32CkI1obfxhYBOt/view?usp=sharing

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2019, 02:56:04 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.