ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?  (Read 5998 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Lightweight Rock & Roll subwoofer, what have I overlooked?
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2019, 11:40:54 am »

Just a thought: would anyone be interested in a DIY sub, like the LABSub, but something compact for rock 'n' roll?

I'm thinking single-15", small box, plenty of "punch" but sacrifices some <50Hz to get there. I'm thinking something to beat a KW181 in a smaller box.

Not a huge amount of work, and I'm happy to contribute.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2019, 11:47:30 am »

Just a thought: would anyone be interested in a DIY sub, like the LABSub, but something compact for rock 'n' roll?

I'm thinking single-15", small box, plenty of "punch" but sacrifices some <50Hz to get there. I'm thinking something to beat a KW181 in a smaller box.

Not a huge amount of work, and I'm happy to contribute.

Chris

I would love this for some of the smaller gigs I have. I have a troop of TH118's now for bigger gigs. But I want to send out a TH-Mini15 or something for the smaller gigs. DIY sounds perfect as I don't want to spend money for something that won't be used often.

And yeah, it just needs to do kick & bass really well for rock/modern pop. None of the extravagant genre's.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2019, 07:38:14 am »

Well, with a 250-ish driver (Beyma 15P1200Nd) and a 62L (net - expect more like 80L built) cabinet is around 98dB@1w flat to 55Hz, and everything ought to stay linear for the first kilowatt (128dB continuous), and should pass 130dB for short periods if you've got something that'll put 2KW into an 8ohm load.

I plan to investigate how some 4ohm sub drivers look. Much easier to get 2KW into 4ohm than 8.

It'd be a small but loud box. Usefully, it'd get to about 200Hz without port resonances coming in, so you could run it with some fairly small tops.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Jeremy Young

• DSL SM80, JTR OS-Pro/C212Pro, A&H iLive T112/R72
    • Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2019, 01:22:46 pm »

I ended up purchasing a pair of JTR Captivator 212 Pro active subwoofers from a fellow LABster.  Most of my summer gigs are outdoors so I have been using my Orbit Shifters and haven't had a chance to gig with the 212's yet so I've refrained from sharing my experiences since they have just been low-volume tests for now.  I'll provide an update once I have a few real gigs under my belt with them.
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.