ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Redundant CL5?  (Read 9319 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Redundant CL5?
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 03:55:07 PM »

That is an amusing coincidence, as i've never seen that kind of redundancy at the local show production level.
Local, yes, but big-boy local production. This is the in-house AV provider for the George R Brown convention center in Houston. Big place, with bigger budgets.

The original quote was a 1/4 million before change-orders started happening! lol. Lighting was simple. Just a basic front wash. Cost was video and audio.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 04:21:36 PM »

With the Midi setup described above, yes it does. Move a knob here and it will move over there. It takes 2 midi cables to send and recieve on each desk, and some menu setup, but it seemed fairly straight forward. Note: I haven't done it, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.....

One of the idiosyncrasies with Yamaha digital consoles for decades has been their extensive MIDI support.  This has continued at LEAST through the CL/QL line.  The ability to interface that to other manufacturers has varied with different products, but one thing has been constant.  When you change a parameter on a Yamaha desk, it spits out a MIDI signal.  And if another matching Yamaha Desk sees that signal, it'll move that same parameter.  Most of the commands are NPRN so they're Yamaha specific.  But it does make hot backups pretty easy and seamless.

It also makes automating these desks fairly easy with basic sequencer software.  But that's as far down the MIDI rabbit hole as i'll go for now. 

Back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 04:34:21 PM »

One of the idiosyncrasies with Yamaha digital consoles for decades has been their extensive MIDI support.  This has continued at LEAST through the CL/QL line.  The ability to interface that to other manufacturers has varied with different products, but one thing has been constant.  When you change a parameter on a Yamaha desk, it spits out a MIDI signal.  And if another matching Yamaha Desk sees that signal, it'll move that same parameter.  Most of the commands are NPRN so they're Yamaha specific.  But it does make hot backups pretty easy and seamless.

It also makes automating these desks fairly easy with basic sequencer software.  But that's as far down the MIDI rabbit hole as i'll go for now. 

Agreed - I wish other manufacturers would implement remote control commands as extensive as Yamaha (and also Behringer).
One correction - the MIDI communication used when mirroring would be SysEx, not NRPN. NRPN is not implemented on the Yamaha for every parameter the way SysEx messages (Yamaha calls it "Parameter Change" Messages) are.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 05:04:48 PM »

Yammy digital *everything* has been all MIDI under the covers for as long as I can remember.  The question is how long the protocol will work for Yamaha...  Is anyone deeply familiar with how MIDI works with the new PM10/Rivage series?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 05:29:35 PM »

Agreed - I wish other manufacturers would implement remote control commands as extensive as Yamaha (and also Behringer).
One correction - the MIDI communication used when mirroring would be SysEx, not NRPN. NRPN is not implemented on the Yamaha for every parameter the way SysEx messages (Yamaha calls it "Parameter Change" Messages) are.

Thanks for the clarification.  The only person that i know FOR SURE that knows the Yamaha MIDI implementation better than i is you.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2018, 04:40:58 AM »

Thanks for the clarification.  The only person that i know FOR SURE that knows the Yamaha MIDI implementation better than i is you.  :)
What surprised me is that I don’t think anyone really cares about it or it’s potential. For me it was the key to making the console work the way I wanted, rather than how the designer thought it should work.
I’ve discovered that almost no one cares about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2018, 04:45:21 AM »

Yammy digital *everything* has been all MIDI under the covers for as long as I can remember.  The question is how long the protocol will work for Yamaha...  Is anyone deeply familiar with how MIDI works with the new PM10/Rivage series?
The new products will use SCP communication. The TF and CL/QL already do. I expect the PM10 to continue this new trend. Don’t know whether they will bother with MIDI on the PM10 other than PC messages as pretty much nobody but me has any use for it! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
-Andy

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 05:59:50 AM »

What surprised me is that I don’t think anyone really cares about it or it’s potential. For me it was the key to making the console work the way I wanted, rather than how the designer thought it should work.
I’ve discovered that almost no one cares about that.

I care; I've done things with an X32 that make my head spin. One of the first questions I ask when evaluating a new console is "how much remote control can I exert over it?".

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 05:59:50 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.