ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Code? Or not???  (Read 14839 times)

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: Code? Or not???
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

While this may work when everything is wired right, to get more current, it would have to plug into 2 separate  ccts on the same phase.

The reason for this is a lot of 15/20-amp plugs and receptacles are corroded to the point where there's overheating and melting of the insulation. And there's a lot of wear on the campground receptacles with loose contact that also promotes overheating.  So doubling the contact area creates less resistance with less heating and voltage drop, or so the theory goes. Of course, proper maintenance would be a good idea, but I don't see  that happening.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »

Killing/injuring fewer people and having less property damage are seen as generally good things, philosophically.

Complete agreement and one reason I support good Education.
Not to Code

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2018, 01:12:32 PM »

I like a world where people are free to solve problems.

I certainly agree.  As long as they take responsibility for their actions-before and after the fact.  Before by gaining the practical knowledge to solve problems in a manner that does not put others at risk, and after by being willing to deal with any bad consequences and not expect a 3rd part to pay for damages caused.

I can see some use for the second device Mike showed; however, all new outdoor receptacles are required to be GFCI (50 amps or under and single phase), so eventually its usefulness will be limited.  The biggest issue with a lot of things like this is that people have a tendency to think that if it plugs together it should work just fine now matter what they try to do.  Probably a by product of trying to force everything to be idiot proof.

Whether or not a device meets code is one question, whether a device that doesn't meet code should be legal or not is a political discussion beyond the scope of this forum. ;)
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2018, 03:23:15 PM »

I certainly agree.  As long as they take responsibility for their actions-before and after the fact.  Before by gaining the practical knowledge to solve problems in a manner that does not put others at risk, and after by being willing to deal with any bad consequences and not expect a 3rd part to pay for damages caused.

I can see some use for the second device Mike showed; however, all new outdoor receptacles are required to be GFCI (50 amps or under and single phase), so eventually its usefulness will be limited.  The biggest issue with a lot of things like this is that people have a tendency to think that if it plugs together it should work just fine now matter what they try to do.  Probably a by product of trying to force everything to be idiot proof.

Whether or not a device meets code is one question, whether a device that doesn't meet code should be legal or not is a political discussion beyond the scope of this forum. ;)
There is extra financial liability associated with selling non-UL approved electrical equipment.

That product with a normalled hot input could conceivably be misused by plugging one plug into an hot extension cord energizing the other exposed plug.

If a human was harmed by this and the product was not UL approved, they would be on their own in court.

I recall when Peavey got sued over an electrocuted musician (due to a PRBG outlet). UL sat at the defense table with us in court and argued that our products were safe and did not cause the death.

I don't know if this was ever answered but the more I think about this, the less likely IMO that UL would ever approve this, even with caveats. 

I wouldn't sell one.

JR

PS: I recall my unsuccessful arguments with a neighbor, who used an extension cord with two male ends to get electricity to an outbuilding with a failed power feed. He died several months ago (he was even older than me).  I need to chase down that killer extension cord and cut the ends off before somebody in his household plugs it in. 

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2018, 04:15:53 PM »

Male to male cords are often used to back feed for genearators because proper "inlets" are very expensive.  My solution was to hardwire a cord to an interlocked back fed breaker-which winds up costing no more than a receptacle and m-m cord.  Your friend could just as easily hardwired a male plug into the outbuilding making it "cord and plug" connected.  Perhaps still not quite to code-but many times safer. As an added bonus, no digging around for that "special" cord-but then I know everyone else has all of their suff organized and never loses any essential tools.  Often times safe fixes are just one step beyond unsafe kludges.
Steve Swaffer

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2018, 04:26:50 PM »

being willing to deal with any bad consequences and not expect a 3rd part to pay for damages caused.

And that's the problem!
It seems it's always "some one else's fault"  ::)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Lyle Williams

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2018, 05:45:20 PM »

Not everything can be compensated for financially, or through prison time.

If you kill someone, they are dead.  If you permanently injure them, they are disabled.  A moment of "thaaat's freeeeedom baaaby" recklessness may not be within your power to make right.

Rights are backed by responsibilities. 

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2018, 06:09:03 PM »

If you kill someone, they are dead.  If you permanently injure them, they are disabled.  A moment of "thaaat's freeeeedom baaaby" recklessness may not be within your power to make right.

I bet you would not have to look hard to find folks who would take a million dollars in exchange for me being dead.  Luckily my wife is probably not one of them (depends on what day you ask).

Tort cases are tried in courts of equities, you can't trade your life so what is equitable?  Not all humans value their life the same either.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »

Complete agreement.  Freedom and recklessness do not go together.    I love freedom.

All our volunteers have heard me say many times "With great power comes great responsibility."  No you shouldn't put the God like reverb on the pastor.
Not to Code

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »

Tort cases are tried in courts of equities, you can't trade your life so what is equitable?  Not all humans value their life the same either.

Tort cases are tried in courts of law, not equity. The historic distinctions between courts of law and courts of equity are not particulary important or relevant in most of the states in the United States, but tort law cases provide legal remedies, not equitable remedies. The term "equity", as used by judges and lawyers, is not a synonom for "fair."
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2018, 08:09:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.