ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Combiner quality  (Read 28235 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Combiner quality
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2018, 01:45:06 PM »

So with the "listening for squeals" method, where do you set the frequency on the receiver? Are you running it with the transmitter off? squelch off?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »

So with the "listening for squeals" method, where do you set the frequency on the receiver? Are you running it with the transmitter off? squelch off?
I start by coordinating freqs, avoiding all signals shown on the SA and calculated IMD products, as usual. Then walk test all systems with TX on, squelch @ Pilot Only (my default setting for Shure), and audio source muted. If any squeals can't be resolved by changing freq, re-scanning with the SA, etc., I start hunting for a local source with an affected RX. If I can't locate it, I start fiddling with TX antenna placement, RX attenuation, etc.  All while keeping in mind good audio gain structure into the TX when you unmute the mix, since hitting it a little harder can help to mitigate low level artifacts at the expense of dynamic range. Even open audience mics can effectively mask noise quite a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Lyle Williams

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »

I want to pinpoint if the interference is being generated by the control circuitry, power supplies or the leds themselves, in case some shielding could be added or circuits changed. That’s why I’m interested in pinpointing exactly where the source of interference is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It is worth noting that while many things can generate interference, things that handle more power can generate more interference.  The frequency of the interference can also provide hints.  Generally something in the interference source will be switching at a fraction of that frequency.

Possibly the most helpful advice is to note that components generally can't radiate interference.  They need to be connected to wires or circuit tracks long enough to act as effective antennas.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2018, 07:32:31 PM »

Possibly the most helpful advice is to note that components generally can't radiate interference.  They need to be connected to wires or circuit tracks long enough to act as effective antennas.

While this is valid conventional wisdom, it has not been the case on multiple gigs with PRG LED controllers. Literally wrapping only the controller enclosure with black wrap changed the situation from unusable across a 60 ft. stage to "This is great!" within 5 ft. of the controller.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »

While this is valid conventional wisdom, it has not been the case on multiple gigs with PRG LED controllers. Literally wrapping only the controller enclosure with black wrap changed the situation from unusable across a 60 ft. stage to "This is great!" within 5 ft. of the controller.

Is that Ronnie looking out for you?

Mac

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2018, 08:09:32 PM »

Is that Ronnie looking out for you?

Mac
Haha! In all honesty, Ronnie works with me very well. As long as I approach him with the right attitude, he easily sees the big picture and works with me to make things work. He's arguably stuck his neck out for me several times, at his own peril, to show his bosses why cooperative effort works. Stephanie has also been exceptionally understanding and helpful. I'm not blowing smoke here. There's definitely a mutual respect that tempers conflicting visions of acheiving our objectives. That's why I absolutely love the gig despite its challenges!

Brad Harris

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »

Thank you once again, Jason. James also recommended using the RF pads on the PSM1000. (https://www.rfvenue.com/blog/2015/08/25/four-proven-strategies-for-fighting-video-wall-rf-interference)

That just sounds like a painful day (carrying around 24+ small SMA attenuators)

BRad

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2018, 05:03:50 PM »

That just sounds like a painful day (carrying around 24+ small SMA attenuators)

BRad
The PSM1000 has internal padding settable in it's menu. No idea how it works, but it's selectable from 0-30db of pad in 3db increments.
I'm not sure, but I believe that's the only IEM that has this function.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Brad Harris

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2018, 06:49:10 PM »

The PSM1000 has internal padding settable in it's menu. No idea how it works, but it's selectable from 0-30db of pad in 3db increments.
I'm not sure, but I believe that's the only IEM that has this function.

Huh, never noticed that setting before. Cool!

Brad

Gian Luca Cavalliini

• Live on Stage
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »

PSM 900 also has internal RF attenuator.
LOUDER! - illustrated history of audio and live show evolution. http://www.patreon.com/gianlucacavallini

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.