ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Combiner quality  (Read 28010 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: Combiner quality
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2019, 06:35:58 PM »

What all did you learn?

---

We talked for a good 15 minutes or so, about a number of RF-related items, so it's hard to summarize it all, but the key take-aways (and, I'm *super heavily* paraphrasing here):

- RG8X cable (double-shielded) provides better protection against noise; use if you can
- Don't bundle/wrap antenna cables together in rack; leave loose
- If you can get away with it, run the PSM 1000 at lower power and let the Combiner/antenna help out with gain
- If using Shure WWB to scan frequencies, include +/- 50 MHz from target range - it'll help it make a better decision
- Really would be better to have a dedicated RF scanner, but WWB can do the trick

We talked a little about the technology differences and also talked about interference sources, common issues, etc.. Again, I'm distilling-down a bunch of info into a few bullet-points, so take it for what that's worth. Don was super helpful and I hope I'm not over-simplifying too much.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »

We talked for a good 15 minutes or so, about a number of RF-related items, so it's hard to summarize it all, but the key take-aways (and, I'm *super heavily* paraphrasing here):

- RG8X cable (double-shielded) provides better protection against noise; use if you can

RG8X is not a specification for double shield; in fact most RG8X manufactured is a single 95% shield. To get a double shielded .24" OD (RG8X size equivalent) coax, you must look for coax that explicitly states it's double shielded (e.g. Times Microwave LMR240).

However, for transmit applications, even if only a 25' length, a double shielded .405" OD coax (LMR400, Belden 9913F7, PWS S3018 and S9046) is still a better choice due to lower losses, which are more significant as a percentage of ERP.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #92 on: August 22, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »

Sorry ... I forget that because our RF Venue RG8x is double shielded with a braid and a foil shield that everybody doesn’t do it that way. 😁
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »

Sorry ... I forget that because our RF Venue RG8x is double shielded with a braid and a foil shield that everybody doesn’t do it that way. 😁

I purchased the RFV RG8x cable for my CP Beam, so whew - all good!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #93 on: August 22, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.