ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Load type and rating confirmation  (Read 3771 times)

David Allred

Load type and rating confirmation
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:15:52 PM »

I did a little research and just need a confirmation of my  interpretation.  I need to force cool down periods for a fog machine that on some days can be on for up to 12 hrs.  6 hour rated.  Thinking about 3 on and 1 off.  Anyway, the relay of the timer as 2 ratings.  A higher resistive rating and a lower tungsten rating.  A fog machine falls in the resistive category, correct? 
Thanks.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Load type and rating confirmation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:46:07 PM »

I did a little research and just need a confirmation of my  interpretation.  I need to force cool down periods for a fog machine that on some days can be on for up to 12 hrs.  6 hour rated.  Thinking about 3 on and 1 off.  Anyway, the relay of the timer as 2 ratings.  A higher resistive rating and a lower tungsten rating.  A fog machine falls in the resistive category, correct? 
Thanks.

Mostly a toaster oven with some tubes. And a small ac pump.

So yeah, resistive; though I am unsure how tungsten is any less resistive than a resistor?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »

though I am unsure how tungsten is any less resistive than a resistor?

A tungsten lamp has a high inrush current when it is first powered on.

The cold resistance is much lower than the operating resistance. The resistance of most materials goes up as they get hotter (like speaker voice coils), but it's particularly pronounced with tungsten light bulbs.

You can calculate what the operating resistance of a 100W lightbulb is (144 ohms), but if you measure a cold filament, it will be far less.

GTD

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »

A tungsten lamp has a high inrush current when it is first powered on.

The cold resistance is much lower than the operating resistance. The resistance of most materials goes up as they get hotter (like speaker voice coils), but it's particularly pronounced with tungsten light bulbs.

You can calculate what the operating resistance of a 100W lightbulb is (144 ohms), but if you measure a cold filament, it will be far less.

GTD

Ahh! Thanks for the explanation!
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.